Would you date/stay with someone, if you found out they previously cheated on an ex?

We all know the popular saying " Once a cheater, always a cheater ".

So lets say you started dating someone who you thought was "perfect" in every way. Then, 3-4 months into the relationship you found out that they cheated on an ex. Would you breakup or stay with this person and WHY?

Would you date/stay with someone, if you found out they previously  cheated on an ex?

1|0

Most Helpful Girl

• I've been with people who previously cheated on there partners, that wasn't me, no i wouldn't leave them, but it would make me think they were less trust worthy.
    I don't believe once a cheater always a cheater.

0|1
    0|0
    THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE

Most Helpful Guy

• I'd probably wouldn't. People change and all, but if it was something that happened like 6-12 months ago or something recent like that then I'd for sure see that as a turnoff and end the relationship. She'd understand as she was the one who cheated in the past and knows what her previous partner felt like to some extent. Not me.

0|1
    0|0
    THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 19

• I would break up with him If he cheated in a past relationship that would show his potential with me. .

Every relationship needs a solid foundation of trust , and a guy who'd cheated on an ex could never earn or gain my trust , because cheating on an ex would show me exactly what he is capable of. I would also lose all respect for him. People who cheat lack self-control over their desires and emotions, and that's a deal-breaker for me

3|1
    0|0
    • Agreed, however have you ever cheated?

• Show All
    • @Nativepride454

There's no guarantees in any relationship . No one can guarantee they'll never hurt you , but I know i'm strong enough to move on from the hurt

• There you go.

• O no we would definitely break up and not get together, I do not want to become paranoid and worried if they might cheat on me too. Plus that says that person is not faithful or capable of commitment and sorting out their problems in a relationship. Instead of communicating their issues with their partner, they chose to run off with someone else cause they weren't happy or wanted sex with someone else. So nope, we can stay friends though.

0|2
    0|0
  • History has a way of repeating itself and is partial to no one.

2|1
    0|0
  • Nope I have standards. If you wanted to cheat before it says enough about who you are.

0|1
    0|0
    • So do you not think that a person can change and grow? What if it was a one time thing?

• Show All
    • Okay that's fair. ๐Ÿ‘

• ๐Ÿ’•...

• I wouldn't forfeit my happiness with them by breaking up... but ngl, my perfect little fairytale would be tarnished...

0|1
    0|0
    • How would your fairytale be tarnished if you continue dating him?

Would you now lose a bit of respect or something for him. ?

• Show All
    • Aw man, this sucks... where's the "comment delete button" on this thing?

• Sharing is caring Spiderweirdo ๐Ÿ˜Š

• maybe. depends on how they treated me. I don't know if something happened between them, either serious or simple. I wouldn't care. But it would definitely be a red flag for me. I'd probably stay with them and see how things play out although I wouldn't get too attached in case things went south

0|1
    0|0
  • hell no i woulnt like you wrote.
    once a cheater always a cheater

1|1
    0|0
    • So you'll dump him because of his past?

• well here's the thing,
      i actually went through this last year, i met this really cute guy things were good until December when i told him i wanted to be more then friends it all went downhill from there.
      we never dated but i heard stories though about girls he cheated that was the turnoff for me

• That's fair.

• Nope. That was in the past and is unrelated to me. If he chests on me, then we have a problem, but people should not be drawn and quartered for every poor decision theyve made in the past.

0|1
    0|0
  • I
    Um
    Uh
    Would
    Uh
    Beat the shit out of him, make him buy me nice shoes and get me a spa day.
    Oh
    And
    Uh
    Leave
    Him

3|0
    0|1
  • Nope, once a cheater always a cheater. There's enough living proof walking around for me to stand by that.

2|1
    0|0
  • Probably. They should have told me way sooner than 3-4 months in to show me they've really changed.

0|1
    0|0
  • I'd be a damn fool to stay. Especially if they cheated on their ex with me!

0|1
    0|0
  • Yeah, he cheated on his ex not on me but if ever he cheats on me I'll not stay with him anymore

1|1
    1|0
  • I would gtfo before he does it again.

2|1
    0|0
  • Never. I don't care how long we have been dating.

1|1
    0|0
  • No. I would not

1|1
    0|0
  • I wouldn't be in a relationship with him.

0|1
    0|0
  • Depends...

0|1
    0|0
  • Yes, I would, but probably only in my boyfriendโ€™s case, which is extremely rare.

When he was with his ex, he sustained an acquired brain injury that made him hyper sexual. He was open with her about it, and she tried so hard to change him, and he tried so hard to change, but eventually cheated on her.

When we first started dating, he told me about all this very early on. Now that Iโ€™m with him, Iโ€™m OKAY with him sleeping with others, as long as he is honest and tells me beforehand. It is the lying and sneaking around associated with cheating I donโ€™t like, not the physical stuff.

0|1
    0|0
    • I guess what I mean to say is that every situation of โ€œcheatingโ€ is very individual, and I would assess it in the same way.

If he was a fuckboi with a history of repeating cheating and absolutely no remorse, no way.

What Guys Said 7

• It would depend on the circumstances. If the prior relationship was already dead and sexless at the time, then I'd be open to it. If she cheated while in an at least somewhat healthy relationship and was still having sex with her partner at the time then that would be a major red flag for me.

2|1
    0|0
  • Maybe if there was a dramatic life change such as finding religion or going through rehab or counseling or cancer... There would need to be strong evidence of change.

0|1
    0|0
  • Dumped. Past behavior is indicative of later behavior unless they really want to change

0|2
    0|0
  • I would

2|1
    0|0
  • Nope

0|1
    0|0
  • Nope, always stick to the saying

1|1
    0|0
  • Some girls donโ€™t learn and know a guys previous relationship x