What does it mean when someone says "let's let bygones be bygones" ?

I got into an issue with a friend, and when I asked if we could get together to talk and resolve any awkwardness they said sure and that they had zero animosity towards me.

When I messaged them today when they were available they said lets just let bygones be bygones and keep it nice and simple.

I'm a little upset because I interpreted that as let the past be the past and move on. All I wanted to do was to resolve things. Maybe i'm interpretting it wrong or assuming but i'm a little confused and upset.

36

Most Helpful Guy

• Yeah. He's saying move on. We're past it. No reason to just keep stressing over something so insignificant, y'know?

Most Helpful Girl

• That means that let stuff that happened in the past, stay in the past.