Is there anyone else who never wants to get married?

I'm a very successful, self made woman. I don't sleep around and I love a monogamous relationship. But, I never want to get married. I was married once for 5 years. He had no concept of saving money. I came home one day and there was a $60,000 truck sitting in the driveway paid for with MY money. That was the end of that. Thankfully, the only thing he got in the settlement was that truck as he signed a pre-nup. After that, I vowed never to get married again. My goal is to retire when I turn 55. I have worked hard and invested wisely. I have not found a man who does likewise and is interested in me. I have had four 2-3 year long monogamous relationships since then. I tell them up front that I'm never going to get married but sure as hell after a few years of "I love you" they have always proposed. I like having my own place and them having theirs. I like to have MY own place to decorate how I wish and I love having "me time". But, I love spending weekends at each other's place and taking vacations together. Why is so much emphasis placed on a piece of paper? I've been with my current boyfriend for 2 years. I love him but I'm praying he doesn't pop the question. Am I wrong?

0|1

Most Helpful Guy

• I feel the exact same way. Love shouldn't require a contract. I'm never getting married again, that and our divorce laws are stupid and outdated. Alimony needs to be eliminated, same with asset and debt division unless both names are on that said asset or debt.

0|0
    0|0
    • Only difference being, is that I do want to cohabit with a woman, but never a legal marriage.

Most Helpful Girl

• I can't be bothered to get married, I'd rather be in a cohabiting relationship.

1|1
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 21

• There's nothing wrong with that. Marriage was actually originally intended to protect the legitimacy of children (for inheritance), so particularly for a childless person, I don't see the need unless there is a need for a visa, and I don't see any need for marriage to validate a relationship at all- that's between the two of you.

1|0
    0|0
  • Sounds like your experience with a man child was terrible.

I on the other hand would love a sugar momma. I would know better than to waste money on material things. I already have what I need and not in debt.

You are guarded. And no you don't ever have to get married if you don't want to.

1|0
    0|0
    • It got worse. While I was gobbling up overtime, he would take what he called " mental health days" and call in sick. Every single cent that he earned he spent on foolishness like throwback jerseys and his beloved truck.

• Show All
    • Waffle house? That calls for Honda Civic!

• He was compensating.

• You need to do what feels right. I was married for over 30 years of pain. While I bought old used cars, she always had to have new ones. I would not mind but she only showed anger and never affection. I'm separated and see myself married. It really doesn't matter about the legal bond but I want someone to hold every night. I had a selfless love and want it again. Everyone is different and you should do what feels right.

1|0
    0|0
  • It's not always for everyone. The way you're doing things is actually the way a lot of guys want to things now. It's becoming more common for this sort of arrangement to happen. Two adults who have a good time together and care for each other but are not interested in mingling their material lives.

1|0
    0|0
  • I don't see myself marrying, no. Maybe I'll change but for now I'm really enjoying my freedoms (like being able to talk to many women). Also I know way too many guys that got screwed over so nahh

1|0
    0|0
  • I never want to get married... AGAIN! No you're not wrong and if he does pop the Question 2U, hmu, I want quality time, time to chill and... ?

1|0
    0|0
  • Just outta a long relationship few years √†go and after being single again would not get married again couldn't spend that much time with someone agree on the me time

1|0
    0|0
  • No, you are not wrong. As long as you are able to fill each other's needs the paper is just a method the church used to build it's coffers and a social control.

1|0
    0|0
  • Sounds like you've already done married and it didn't work out. Might work better a second time but once bitten, twice shy. Keep your boyfriend so you don't get lonely.

0|0
    0|0
  • There's nothing wrong with your choice. I don't see myself marrying.

1|0
    0|0
  • Show more from Guys

What Girls Said 0

The only opinion from girls was selected the Most Helpful Opinion, but you can still contribute by sharing an opinion!

Recommended myTakes