Is it necessary to define our relationship? If so, when is the appropriate time?

Anonymous
I have been seeing a guy and talking to him for a month or so. We have been on 4 dates so far but we have not talked about what we are. Neither did the subject come up about what we wanted (hookup or looking for long term).
He hasn't said anything clear to indicate he likes me nor did I. But every chance we get to hangout, we do (he studies and I work full time so our schedule only allows us to see eachother about once a week but we do text a little in between dates).

So basically we are going with the flow. It is clear he likes my company and I do too.
Is it necessary to have the girlfriend/boyfriend talk or should I wait a little longer?

Even though I am 24 (he is 28) it would be my first official relationship so I guess I have no idea how to even approach the subject with him without screwing up what we have going on. Any suggestions on how to bring it up casually?
6
2