What does 'until now' mean?

Me and guy were talking about a movie and he said he hadn't seen it until now. So, i assumed he'd watched recently. So he said no, he didn't watch it. Im confused. Was my thinking correct? Or his?

14

Most Helpful Guy

• Now, technically your interpretation is correct - it would mean he has seen it very recently (as in two weeks or so maximum is when I'd use that) but it often is used to say not yet.

Most Helpful Girl

• According to me, yours was correct. Haven't seen something until now or until recently meant that the guy had in fact watched it before the talk started or in the not so distant past.