How can a socially awkward girl meet guys?

I’m pretty socially awkward. I can keep a conversation going usually but I tend to ramble. I also have a stutter and it usually happens when I start talking too fast.

Most guys that I’ve met who have shown interest in me have had intentions of using me. Some guys were so desperate they thought I would be easy. Nope, I’m a person with standards. I’ve been asked out on dates before but they never happened either because I wasn’t interested enough or the guy never got back to me with a time or place.

I have few friends too so going out to things is hard and I hate going alone. Online dating is hard because of all the internet trolls and bots. I watch tons of videos on YouTube of people catfishing and that terrifies me.

I am attending college. I did meet a guy there. We seemed to really like each other but he stopped talking to me for whatever reasons. I feel like I’m out of options and I’ll be single forever.

0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• Sounds like me sometimes. You just need to find a group that has compatible guys, if you're desperate there are hackerspaces full of people that don't care about some social awkwardness, since stem and by extension programming and other nerd things tend to be male dominated I think you might have a decent selection in the science, math, engineering, or failing that some nerd meet up packed with programmers is where those like myself tend to congregate.

Contrary to steriotypes these groups have many nice guys and many of those are less insecure than some think, last one of these I went to had many men who were also in shape and are really easy to hang out with. Many of these men are like you, or don't care so you may have an easier time finding a reliable man there, failing that these men have social lives and likely know "non nerdy" men you can try out.

0|0
    0|0
    THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE
    • I have a passion for video games so I decided to go back to college and take game design. I love it and I’ve met a lot of guys. As I mentioned in my post that I did meet a guy that I seemed to connect with and he seemed to like me back (there were obvious clues) but now he stopped talking to me and I don’t know why and he won’t say why. So I’m dealing with that too because part of me is saying he doesn’t like me anymore and it’s making me really sad.

• Show All
    • But he still asks my guy friends about me which is confusing. My one friend told me he was asking about me like I was supposed to react to that

• Maybe he is a tad shy, ask him out, maybe to test one of your projects.

Most Helpful Girl

• She should get rid of that awkwardness first.

0|0
    0|0
    THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 10

• You... are... not... going... to... be... single... FOREVER. Promise.

I dated someone that was VERY socially awkward and had trouble speaking to me since EVERY time we talked she was nervous, even though we spent time together. It's just the way it is...

At first I didn't know what to think, usually someone that is quiet or rambles I might take it as them not being interested. That's what I thought from her initially anyway.

The point is she did something... I told her that I was thinking that we may have to go our own separate ways since there seems to be a lack of interest. And she quickly pointed out, "I like you SO much! But I get so nervous around you and it makes me quiet. I'm sorry... I don't mean it."

When she did that I understood, and I stopped looking into that because it is who she is.

The point being, is if you meet someone, and if you ARE interested tell them up front your intentions and how you socially react when you like someone. So that way there is no misunderstandings. That should help...
    Good luck!

1|0
    0|0
  • To avoid the sex hound, you may need to learn to approach the guys. The more shy and quiet guys aren't the ones asking or demanding sex. They tend to be more sensitive and, to your disadvantage, shy. They are often awkward as well. What I have learned from the girls I fell in love with is, they gave me my confidence. Build them up, have fun and joke with them. That will loosen them up and they will be more outgoing.

0|1
    0|0
  • I would date you ;) too bad you dont live in Ontario :( , seriously though have you tried meeting someone through a friend?

1|0
    0|0
    • I’ve met a lot of guys through friends but most of them are bad people who do a lot of drugs or just want to sleep around

• Show All
    • Its too bad you dont live in Ontario you sound like my type, Im socially awkward as well, I would love to go out with you ;) ! Any guy would be lucky to have you!

• I live in BC

• Online dating on a site you have to pay to use. Putting out cash cuts down on the bots and trolls.

Spend time getting to know each other through email where the social anxiety should be lower. Video chat to avoid catfish.

0|0
    0|0
  • By making friends, and letting things take their time

0|0
    0|0
  • It's a case of just getting out there strive for what you want and who you want. Only you know what you want don't be shy; be bold and confident.

0|0
    0|0
  • I think texting is the best as u can
    Always think about what you are saying. if u want to lighten the modd you could even add a laughter emoji

0|0
    0|0
  • You can know me here for example. Or one thousand other guys here. All will be willing to meet you too including me.

0|0
    0|0
  • Bottom everyone online is fake maybe groups in school or social events

0|0
    0|0
    • Correction, most people are. Your own statement suggests she can't even believe what you've said.

• Show All
    • Make yours up bro, if you've meet fakes that's one person view on the rest you can't be ignorant if something seems to good to be true then it is the people getting catfished are just ignorant

• Dude litterilly copying what you've said here "Bottom everyone online is fake maybe groups in school or social events" so I say "Correction, most people are. Your own statement suggests she can't even believe what you've said" then you agree with me... And I need to make my mind up?

• I know your pain here sister!

0|1
    0|0
    • And if your nickname suggests anything, Tsunderes don't usually get anywhere with a guy till they've walmed up to them a bit. Anime watchers should know dis

What Girls Said 0

The only opinion from girls was selected the Most Helpful Opinion, but you can still contribute by sharing an opinion!

Recommended myTakes