Thoughts on dating an Atheist (non-believer)?

I grew up Mormon (LDS) and I went through a faith crisis (which ultimately led to me to disregard the idea of religion in general).

The ironic thing is that at my college, Brigham Young University, Utah, dating is so hyped up that people sometimes get engaged only after a month.

But, I've struggled in terms of pursuing a serious relationship with girls here because I know that I don't plan on staying LDS after school, and I wouldn't want to knowingly be deceptive on that front.

I'm just a simple guy tryna graduate, and I'm not interested in picking religious battles with anyone (too much work).

TL;DR:
Is it just a Utah thing, or is someone's lack of belief a deal breaker when dating?

56

Most Helpful Girl

• I actually started going to LDS at age 12, I still go when I’m home because my mom and stepfather are very active but I want to take my name off the registry. I’m dating a non-denom Christian and it’s not a problem because I respect his beliefs, despite not sharing them. I wouldn’t date anyone at BYU if you don’t want to date a girl who expects you to stay in the church and marry in the temple, because right now everybody has been talking in my ward about how “it’s okay to date a non member but remember they’ll make it tempting for you to stray” yadda yadda yadda. Utah in general is really devoted to Mormon beliefs, and since it’s the central place I’d say they’re a lot more strict about religious differences.

THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE
    • Yesss!!! You're preaching to the choir rn!

There's so many gray areas when it comes to groups of people that don't fit the ideal church member definition. For example, we are not discouraged from having doubts but, for some reason, people eventually expect you to have a great conversion story, and get to where they're at. (This makes the choices on makes pointless if the result is the expected to be the same in every case).

Thanks for your insight. It's always refreshing whenever I meet someone who evaluates a person independent of their beliefs. (In this specific context.)

• Exactly, it gets hard to navigate! I’m always glad to be helpful.

Most Helpful Guy

• You are in a religious Mecca so to speak. There are plenty of atheist/agnostic people out there that will accept your views. Sadly though, I think you are in a bad situation for dating when all the girls are religious. I commend you for not wanting to be deceiving and pretend to be something you aren't just to date women. Go online, or out of state to find someone.

THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE