What are opinions on dating someone with depression and anxiety disorders?

Yes I have those and more, all of which were discovered and got worse during my now-ended relationship. I'm looking for opinions on how most people perceive those mental issues in...

1. Would you want to know of those mental issues about your date at the very very beginning or before a first date?
2. If you knew about the issues ahead of time, would you avoid that date altogether or would it not matter? Or would that honesty help chances?

33

Most Helpful Girl

• Im a lot like you, but I’m still in a relationship somehow. He had no idea, and I didn’t either because I put up walls to pretend I was fine. He wish he had known and early on he later revealed to me he wanted to break up. But therapy and meds are working for me for once, so I’m not sure how I feel.

Most Helpful Guy

• I've had two long term relationships with women with anxiety disorders. In my first such relationship, she denied having any disorder. In my second, she was open about it.

For me, the second (being open about it) was definitely better. It's not always easy and can at times get frustrating being in a relationship with someone with those disorders but for me at least it was helpful to have her acknowledge it and say that she's knows it's hard to deal with sometimes.

She didn't tell me about it until we had established somewhat of a relationship. I don't remember exactly how long it was, but certainly at least a few dates into it. I think that's a pretty good time because the basis of a relationship is established but you're not too deep in yet. I think before a first date is TMI too soon. I'd wait until it looks like the relationship could be developing into something long term.

• Hmm ok. Honesty and openness helps. Thanks for that feedback!

• I think that honesty and openness helps in any relationship regarding any subject. I think those things are an essential element of any good relationship.

• Well ok if you put it that way... True and agreed!👍