What is wrong with me- 17 and never been liked by a guy?

people tell me I'm so pretty all the time, like people i've just meet or am not that close to. i always get compliments on my appearance and outfits because i always put so much effort into my appearance everywhere i go. i'm shy and quiet but nice to everyone, i try to smile and be open most of the time and when i'm with my friends i laugh a lot.
but then why have i never been asked out by a guy or told i'm pretty by a guy or just found out that one has had a crush on me? im 17 and while my best friend has had tons of boyfriends and lost her virginity i haven't even kissed a guy. i dont know what to do i feel so ugly and that no one will like me and i'm not even going to be asked out to prom:( what am i doing wrong?

314

Most Helpful Guy

• Lots of guys are shy too. There is a good chance that at least one guy you know has a crush on you but he’s too shy to ask you out on a date. You should not let the amount of attention you get from guys determine how you feel about yourself. I think you have to find the right social setting outside of school (or maybe an extracurricular club or activity) so that you can talk interact with more people. Guys are more likely to ask you out of they know who you are and what you are interested in.

Most Helpful Girl

• I was in a similar situation as you (still am in the sense that no guy approaches me, but since I'm already in a relationship, I don't care). However, if you feel like that guys aren't attracted to you, just open your ears a little bit. I'm going to tell you now a story just to give you an example why you should listen to what happens around you. I was at a science festival and when I was helping my friends to carry some things for their projects, I heard a trio of guys talking about girls. As I passed besides them one of them pointed out to his friends that he thought I was pretty. And just like you, I get compliments for my looks by strangers but still I'm never approached.