Why is it so common to go to the movies on the first date?

I've never really understood this idea of spending the first date at a place where you gonna be sitting still for the next couple of hours, not talking and not seeing each other's faces. That's ridiculous. Why would you offer/agree to go to the movies at a first date? What's the point of it?

• The asker is right
    Vote A
  • The asker is wrong
    Vote B
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
I'm a GirlI'm a Guy

0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• Several reasons why.

- First date might be a little awkward, especially if you're new to the dating scene. With a movie you get to sit net to each other and not have to think about what to talk about.
    - Sitting in the dark with a loved one is hot, especially if you like to cuddle. The silence and the dark makes it a lot less awkward to act that.
    - You can actually learn a lot about someone by going to the movies with them: looking at what kinds of films they like, whether they pay for the tickets, how they behave in the theatre... sometimes that's as effective a way of getting a feel for what they're like as spending a lot of time in conversation.
    - Yes, there's two hours of silence, but there's also making the plan to meet up, waiting for the movie to start, eating the snacks, dissecting it afterwards, all of which can give you insight into what a guy is like and giving you something other than yourselves to talk about.

Is a movie the best choice for a first date? Probably not, but just because you do something interactive doesn’t ensure that the date will be a smash. It also doesn’t mean that your movie date can’t go exceptionally well. You can sit in an awkward silence together for two hours, or you hold hands and feel a connection to them. First dates, like many situations in your life, are what you make them.

1|3
    0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• It's not ideal, but it may not be a completely stupid idea. I did it once as a first date. The ending was depressing, even though the real event, while sad, did eventually happen to work out, but it did end on a bad note. Which made the ending to the date a bit awkward.

It's generally not ideal because there is some expense to it (though not a huge amount). You're in the dark with someone, you can't really talk much, and if there's something that one of you is offended by (and the other laughs), it becomes a really awkward situation quickly.

A date going to the movies tends to be better when you sort of already know the person.

If you both know each other, both know you have the same taste in films, then it's fine. Otherwise, if things are new, you want to do something where you can bow out in grace quickly, something inexpensive... that's the best type of first date when you are still trying to get to know someone. That way, if they don't show, or are horrible, you're not out much.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 30

• gives you something to talk about, helps you feel less awkward since the attention is on the movie, not on each other directly.

1|0
    0|0
  • Is it common? I don't know anyone who has done that.

1|0
    0|0
  • It’s a stupid idea on a first date as you don’t get to know a person.

0|0
    0|0
    • Usually it is follow by or follows dinner.

• Show All
    • Yeah usually go for the meal first. then to the cinema after. It can take some pressure off because you can relax and watch the film.

• Although a friend of mine prefers the film first then food because it gives him something to talk about. But, each to their own.

• If a date is a chance to get to know someone then a movie date is a terrible idea. If you already know them but just want a reason to spend time next to them, it’s not.
    If it is a movie date, Ideally you make time before or after the film to talk with each other.
    Some people may suggest movie because it’s easy, requires less of the individuals and everyone likes watching movies.

0|1
    0|0
    • So why older people go tot he movies? Movies are not just for kids and teenagers. I like going to the movies and i see old spouses go to the movies, and couples in teir 30 or 40 or even 50 going to the movies. What is wrong

• Show All
    • @kitty71 lol. Not for me but you guys made out on the first date so I was just being funny with you. Certainly move at the pace you are both comfortable.

• Well my pace is slower tan the guy, the guy wants something to be accomplished fast I want just to wait for more dates for that to happen

• Hmm... I've been on a date at the cinema... I personally think it's a nice place to go where you aren't pressured to make conversation or try and impress someone. It's also cute when you sense them checking you out or catch them looking at you 🙊 It's also a nice chance to hold hands or lean on one another whilst doing something you enjoy.

I don't think you are right or wrong. Just a matter of opinion (:

0|1
    0|0
  • A lot of times from hearing from my friends, if they go to a movie on their 1st date, they've already been to dinner first, or some other activity before the actually movie. I don't know anyone whose went straight to the movies first for a date of any kind.

0|0
    0|0
  • I've never gone to the movies on a first date. I didn't realize it was all that common. It seems like a bad first date move though because first dates are how you get to know someone. How are you supposed to learn anything about anyone during a movie?

0|0
    0|0
  • You are absolutely right. I also don't see any point in being silent for 2 hours. It doesn't encourage communucation at all.

I also don't undersrand why people, friends and families, flock together to the cinema. Watching a movie is supposedly better when you are by yourself.

1|0
    0|0
  • My theory is that people go to the movies because they don't like to talk very much and want a way to date without talking. Also because its cheaper than drinking or dining out or attending a concert or formal event.

0|0
    0|0
  • Personally I don't like going to the cinemas on a first date, because I want to get to know the person and have a laugh, not sit in silence for a few hours then go home. But I can see why people do, it's a good way to lay off conversation until you're confident enough

0|0
    0|0
  • it is a bit dumb for a first date. but if its not the first, its not so bad. to be honest, sometimes when a guy asks a girl to go to the movies, it ends up being where they are just making out in the dark and not paying attention to the movie lol

0|0
    0|0
  • very bad idea, i went once and couldn't really talk to the guy, worst part was he kissed me during the sex scene and i missed it. the movie was shit tho

0|1
    0|0
  • I dislike going to the cinema on a first date. I'd rather go for a coffee

0|2
    0|0
  • That's the safest route to ease the awkwardness. But I prefer to go to a quiet place to eat and talk.

2|0
    0|0
  • I don't think movie dates are bad but as a first date? Yeah it's so predictable. The older I get the more I want to try different things. I haven't been to the movies as a first date in yearssss.

0|0
    0|0
  • To talk about the movie afterwards, over dinner. It’s a way to get close

2|0
    0|0
  • I guess that both parties are too nervous to talk face to face, so they try to loosen that tension by doing something chill that doesn't require talking like going to the movies.

0|0
    0|0
  • Well it gives you something to talk about afterwards the movie. And a dinner date would be the same for me because I don't like to talk while food is in front of me.

0|0
    0|0
  • I think it's a cliche.. Although popular its probably not any more popular than going for a drink or McDonald's..

1|0
    0|0
  • You have something to talk about after the movie. Takes pressure off conversation.

0|1
    0|0
  • I actually like it. I get really nervous on the 1st date. So going to the movies is an easy start for me.

0|0
    0|0
  • Where I come from dating is as scarce as a public holiday.

0|0
    0|0
  • It's neutral ground for two nervous kids I doubt older people do that for a first date

1|1
    0|0
  • I think it is better to talk and not just sit next to each other not talking.

0|0
    0|0
  • It's easy to hold hands at the movies.

1|0
    0|0
  • I never understood that either lol

1|0
    0|0
  • Doesn't seem common

0|0
    0|0
  • Its a neutral space in which you are able to meet at the place instead of each other’s house and go out and do something fun together... while other places allow for more time to talk, It feels like something special because you are going somewhere you usually don’t go and with someone special...

0|0
    0|0
  • Notice how most younger social venues are loud with music/other? Lack of conversation in those early days of dating a stranger. Talking about the movie (primes the pump) afterwards begins conversations that allow getting to know each other, via tangents, etc.

Certainly for the gregarious and socially more mature, this is not a first choice - not mine either. I get that.

WHY would ANYONE need to ask such a non personal Q as this ANON? Makes me go ANON and think them a sissy.

2|0
    0|0
  • well i’m in 7th grade rn and i suggested my friends go to the movies for a date because the guy is still vv nervous to talk to the girl

0|1
    0|0
    • It's a comfortable and very common date for early teens. You can reduce the amount of uncomfortable conversation, and still get physical cues through hand holding, shoulder leaning, footsie, ear whispering etc.

What Guys Said 38

• You know, I blame it on lack of creativity, but I would never take ANY date to a movie, because of exactly what you describe. You sit there for two hours not talking and when you leave the movie, you invariably have trouble with conversation because you've spent the last two hours in silence. The best first date is to go to a restaurant where you sit across from each other and split small plates while talking the night away.

1|1
    0|0
    • Coffee dates are better, short and sweet.
      Sometimes a coffee date is going so well that it can roll on to be a dinner date.
      But a dinner date that isn't going well oh boy 🙏you just pray for it to be over

• Show All
    • My first date with my husband was a coffee date, there was a pool place close by and we decided to go play a few games because it was going really well.

• With a coffee date at least you don't spend even half as much as a dinner date-a big plus when in the early stages you don't know each other well and you may not see that person again.

• I mean I understand why the do it, considering it gives you something to talk about to get the ball rolling, and just being next to each other opens the two of you up to one another just that much more. But I agree with you, it's not a preferable first date. At least not on its own. If you go somewhere else as well I don't see the issue

0|0
    0|0
  • Movies are all about body language, watching how she reacts to scenes in the movie. The type of movie being watched is really important to learn things about your date. Also, if your partner likes you, if you do affectionate things like hold her hand or putting your arm around her during the movie, she will enjoy it.

0|0
    0|0
  • it's not that common
    but I guess it's a thing cause it's easy to be there... without pressure
    you're in a theatre watching a movie with the girl you like enjoying an experience

there is plenty of time to talk, before, after... tomorrow... day after tomorrow... lol
    it's just a ice breaker brah to feel more comfortable being in close proximity

0|0
    0|0
  • I'm with you on that though funnily enough I did a first date movie date just a few months ago for the first time. But it worked out really well cause we grabbed a coffee/hot chocolate first, got to know each other well for 45mins say; she was really easy to talk to so we went for a movie which she offered to pay for and cause we built up a good connection first at the food court we ended up having a cute cuddle in the cinema! No awkward hand touching like the old cliches go hahaha!

0|0
    0|0
  • If it's a movie you both like, then you already have something in common and it's something to talk about. Especially if it's a franchise movie like Marvel or something, then you also have all those other movies to talk about and possibly bond over. For me, the movie is usually followed by dinner and that's where we do all the talking. Plus, I just love movies, so if I decide to take someone to the movies, that's a big deal to me because I'm sharing one of my favorite things with that person.

0|0
    0|0
  • I know, it's a bad idea for a first date. You two sit there for 2 hours and can't talk then after the movie theirs not much to talk about, a movie doesn't really provide any opportunities to learn any personal facts about her. A movie date just seems like an afterthought when the guy can't plan a better date.

0|0
    0|0
  • Honestly, that's the point, not talking, not seeing each other, even if they don't admit it, guys are scared of girls, and a first date feels like sitting beside a hungry lion, the least contact with the hungry lion, the less chance of being eaten

1|0
    0|1
  • It's something that everyone likes and you don't need to fill the silence with awkward conversation. You can just watch the movie and/or think about how your next date will go.

2|0
    0|0
  • The answer is laying in the body of the question.
    Because you dont need to communicate.
    You share the worse common denominator, and that is "fear of opening your mouth".

0|0
    0|0
  • after movies you can have dinner and have a new movie topics to talk about it? and you can hold her arms for first time in movie?
    well it's depends on age though. Movie are good for shy people around 18yo.

0|0
    0|0
  • Cinema = distraction. You get to know a person by talking to then, not listen to them munching popcorn.

1|1
    0|0
  • You go for a meal and a movie with someone you have been on a few dates with. It's fun.

A first date it's silly, you can't talk in a movie, but otherwise there's nothing wrong with it.

0|0
    0|0
  • It’s a relaxed and fun atmosphere, it’s affordable, and first dates can be nerve wracking so not seeing your dates face constantly might take some of the first date jitters away 😅

0|0
    0|0
  • I think it stems from the media (TV and movies) about going to the movies on a first date. True, you'd have something to talk about after the movie, but that's not for me.

0|0
    0|0
  • in my opinion I never do movies on first date I like to do a scenic walk, second date casual lunch or dinner
    movies there's no communication no connection

0|0
    0|0
  • I know, thats stupid
    I usually have my first date at a cafe with a nice cup of tea and a lot of talking.

0|1
    0|0
  • well it is a cheap date for the guy plus you can kiss and hug in the back seats in the dark and it is always warm l love to take a nice girl to the movies on a first date

0|0
    0|0
  • It's a pretty good date if the woman you ask is shy. It allows her to build her comfort without being all that intrusive.

0|0
    0|0
  • Unless your under 21- it’s more common to go to a bar and grab a few drinks.

1|0
    0|0
  • Well after the movie it's much easier to find a subject to talk about hence the movie itself

1|1
    0|0
  • Not here where i live.

This is most a Teenager Date. Of course we do but not on the 1st date.

Here we use to go to a Restorant or Pub.

0|0
    0|0
  • It's not. Just you think it is.
    That said it's a 'cheap date', so there's nothing wrong with it, but it precludes you from much interaction, and 'getting to know', so in my opinion it's a bad idea.

A first date should really be to meet for coffee and interact for an hour and decide if they're really someone worth dating. A chance to get to know. After an hour or so you get up and leave - having either decided they're not worth pursuing, or they are and you setup a real date. After all, you have places to go and things to do, you're on your life mission.

And this way it doesn't matter who buys. :)

0|0
    0|0
  • I don’t know never asked a girl out in real life or went to the movies I live a really boring life

0|0
    0|0
  • That's the point. There's less chance of screwing up a first date

0|0
    0|0
  • Never been to the first date at cinema, but I see nothing wrong about this place.

0|0
    0|0
  • I don’t think it’s that common. That being said, unless you’ve known the person for a long time, going to a movie or anywhere where it’s loud and you can’t talk for a first date is a Fucking horrible idea.

My first date ever from online dating, the girl girl ended up switching our date from getting drinks/coffee to going to her friend’s band’s show. I told her it was a bad idea because it’d be too loud and we wouldn’t be able to talk. She’s like oh we can talk before/in between bands.

Not only did her friend in the band keep interrupting her between sets but she brought her friend and friend’s boyfriend too. There was tons of awkward silences and she made it seem like it was my fault. That person can fuck right off.

0|0
    0|0
  • dont goto tge movie first date bad idea only reason for a movie first date if its in ur bedroom

0|0
    0|0
  • wine and dine is the most common here in Australia. Men get to pay for it, too.

0|0
    0|0
  • If you are unimaginative and want to come off as borring that is where you go...

0|0
    0|0
  • More from Guys

Recommended myTakes