Why is it so common to go to the movies on the first date?

I've never really understood this idea of spending the first date at a place where you gonna be sitting still for the next couple of hours, not talking and not seeing each other's faces. That's ridiculous. Why would you offer/agree to go to the movies at a first date? What's the point of it?

• The asker is right
  • The asker is wrong

3139

Most Helpful Girl

• Several reasons why.

- First date might be a little awkward, especially if you're new to the dating scene. With a movie you get to sit net to each other and not have to think about what to talk about.
    - Sitting in the dark with a loved one is hot, especially if you like to cuddle. The silence and the dark makes it a lot less awkward to act that.
    - You can actually learn a lot about someone by going to the movies with them: looking at what kinds of films they like, whether they pay for the tickets, how they behave in the theatre... sometimes that's as effective a way of getting a feel for what they're like as spending a lot of time in conversation.
    - Yes, there's two hours of silence, but there's also making the plan to meet up, waiting for the movie to start, eating the snacks, dissecting it afterwards, all of which can give you insight into what a guy is like and giving you something other than yourselves to talk about.

Is a movie the best choice for a first date? Probably not, but just because you do something interactive doesn’t ensure that the date will be a smash. It also doesn’t mean that your movie date can’t go exceptionally well. You can sit in an awkward silence together for two hours, or you hold hands and feel a connection to them. First dates, like many situations in your life, are what you make them.

Most Helpful Guy

• It's not ideal, but it may not be a completely stupid idea. I did it once as a first date. The ending was depressing, even though the real event, while sad, did eventually happen to work out, but it did end on a bad note. Which made the ending to the date a bit awkward.

It's generally not ideal because there is some expense to it (though not a huge amount). You're in the dark with someone, you can't really talk much, and if there's something that one of you is offended by (and the other laughs), it becomes a really awkward situation quickly.

A date going to the movies tends to be better when you sort of already know the person.

If you both know each other, both know you have the same taste in films, then it's fine. Otherwise, if things are new, you want to do something where you can bow out in grace quickly, something inexpensive... that's the best type of first date when you are still trying to get to know someone. That way, if they don't show, or are horrible, you're not out much.