Who has more tools to use in attracting a partner of the opposite sex, men or women? Why?

I believe men have more tools than women in attracting a partner of the opposite sex. Besides appearance or looks, what can a woman reliably stand on to attract men to her? Likewise, if a man isn’t good-looking or is deemed hideous, he can rely on his personality, character, charisma, status, job, kindness, etc. in securing a mate.
  • Men
  • Women

2948

Most Helpful Girl

• Alright, first and foremost, appearances aren't the end-all-be-all for EITHER gender. One can compensate for appearance with other traits, and this holds true for both genders.

However, I do agree with the notion that, for a woman, it is more difficult to rely on non-appearance-related factors. In general, women have to work harder to rely on these factors or need these factors to be better-polished to use them effectively than a similarly-situated man would.

However, a woman has more "tools" at her disposal when it comes to appearance-related factors than a man does. Clothes, make-up, even surgical enhancements are far more available and geared towards women. To that end, even if a woman is sorely lacking in other departments, she has more tools inside her appearance toolbox than a man does in his. AND, it is much easier for her to use these tools to enhance her attractiveness than it is for a man to enhance his using the tools in his non-appearance-related toolbox. Charisma and salaries are harder to change than outfits, after all.

That's the first part of my food-for-thought spiel. The second part is this:
    Regardless of who has more tools to use in attracting A partner, the amount of tools necessary to attract a QUALITY partner are definitely closer to equal for both genders.
    If a man is relying solely on his social status to attract a partner, sure, he will attract A partner, but will that be a QUALITY partner?
    Likewise, if a woman is relying solely on her looks to attract a partner, sure, she will attract a partner, but what could be said about the quality of said partner?

• I like what you said about quality partners, a few days ago I was in a conversation about a what makes someone a quality partner. A female was going off about there being no quality men, etc. etc. etc.

After a while I got tired about her ranting, and asked her how she seriously expected to get a quality man when she was not a quality woman.

Most Helpful Guy

• Men have more tools. He can be funny, nice personality, super confident, high social status, good job, etc...

Women have their looks and that's what men care about. A guy doesn't care about her social status, what kind of job she has, whether or not she's funny, etc..