Why do girls expect boys to propose first?

Not all girls are same but this is a very common trait among women. If you love us, why don't you propose us first?

Unexpectedly there are scientific as well as religious articles claiming "Women shouldn't propose first" . Aren't we living in 21st century and willing to create gender equality?

Here are some articles I found:
Someone's Experience:
www.telegraph.co.uk/women/womens-life/9726547/Is-it-ever-OK-for-a-girl-to-propose-to-a-guy-No-apparently.html

Religious Reasons:
marriedandyoung. com/6-reasons-godly-women-propose-man/

Science:
https://amp.livescience.com/25198-who-should-propose-marriage.html

1|0

Most Helpful Girl

• I myself actually born in religious and cultural family but our teachings (from religion's view), women are allowed to propose men they likes while my cultures didn't favor this and girls shall wait for men.

Personally, I had experiences of proposing men I like in past but I ended up getting friendzoned, accused of being cheap and many more insults comes to me. I stopped chasing for anyone and my love one comes proposing me instead. Not all would expect this, but its because some like me were afraid the guy we likes gonna reject us and then insults us for doing so. (and thats the challenge for us)

0|1
    0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• Because they are smart enough to know that if a guy is really into her he will. The odds of the guy straying later are lower if he has to do some work.

Yes, you could reverse roles but in my opinion it boils down to her taking less risk which is a smart move on her part. Females get punished for being too aggressive or are expected not to be from when they are little kids. So naturally they would tend to favor getting what they want without going against that. Itโ€™s like asking why would someone trained to paint oil paintings paint oil paintings.

The setting would matter to tho. In a place where women are jumping on guys all the time she has more options.

0|1
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 14

• it's traditional and almost always portrayed that way in media. And you never oftwn hear about it happening the other way around, so we kind of get it in our heads that it isn't what we should do.
    I would propose though, and a few girls are doing that too.

0|1
    0|0
  • It's something that has become part of our culture because it has just happened for so long. The thing I hate the most are the bloody wedding rings and the whole affair itself. It's also stupidly expensive and things like wedding rings are there just to make money. If I remember correctly, it started off as a scam, but of course it's become a tradition now.

0|1
    0|0
  • It is seen as an masculinity for men, in any case.

I think proposal or not, there should be some serious heart to heart prep talk before any legalities is introduced. Saying that, I believe both parties are already willing to take the next step in their relationship.

0|1
    0|0
  • i know, i get it it's 2018. but my wedding is one thing i'd like to keep traditional (not in the African way). A woman and man, A woman in a dress and a man who proposed.

Other than that I support any changes. But I'd prefer this way for my own wedding. I don't really care about other peoples weddings and proposals. I mean I do but I won't tell u wut to do

0|1
    0|0
  • I think it's just the traditional way there is nothing wrong with a girl proposing but if she's a white wedding kinda girl she probably wait for the man to ask as it's traditionally that way

0|1
    0|0
  • I don't expect a guy to propose me first.
    If i like a guy and want to do something about my attraction then i would ask him out.

0|2
    0|0
    • I hope most girls behave like this, because i'm too much of a coward to make the first move ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜“

• I dunno I guess it'd be aiight if I propose to himm

0|1
    0|0
  • I donโ€™t mind if a girl proposes first, but Iโ€™m more traditional, and expect the guy to propose.

0|0
    0|0
  • I don't exactly know lol. But I'd expect them to..

1|2
    0|0
  • Cause girls get judged for doing it.

0|1
    0|0
  • Show more from Girls

What Guys Said 10

• That's a very good question. Don't know the answer. Someone asked the same question a couple of days ago and I said then that it probably won't change over the next hundred years either.

0|1
    0|0
  • Because gender roles aren't always bad as people thing. Lol If you really look at it closely, romance is very gender specific.

0|1
    1|0
    • Could you elaborate on that last bit? "Romance is very gender specific".

• @Agent the vast majority of women want a guy to propose to them because they find the idea of guy going down on one knee with a ring, and asking for their hand in marriage extremely romantic. Also, a guy buying a woman flowers is also seen a super romantic gesture , however it doesn't work the other way. Because 99% of guys would find that weird and uncomfortable to be proposed to or even receive flowers from their gf/wife.

That's what I meant by gender specific. Men and women love and appreciate different things when it comes to romance. So gender does play a role in how we express love and affection to each other.

I hope that made sense. Lol

• In dating, I would prefer the girl to propose, in marriage, the guy should do the proposing, as it's traditional.

0|1
    0|0
  • They want to be traditional whilst demanding equality

Makes no sense I know

1|1
    0|0
  • Tbh... I never propose and all my past relationships started from the girl proposal!!

0|1
    0|0
  • Same reason they expect them to ask them out first.

0|1
    0|0
  • Traditional.

0|1
    0|0
  • They expect guys to do everything first

0|1
    0|0
  • cuz they don't got the balls to do it themselves

0|1
    0|0
  • Because in society a man should be dominant. A girl can be dominant as well. But if a guy isn't he's sissy. All the alpha beta shit.

0|1
    1|0

Recommended myTakes