Can a boyfriend have a female bestfriend?

My boyfriend has a friend that is a girl and there friendship is very close. They snapchat a lot and I am friends with her as well and she has a boyfriend. My boyfriend knows that I feel insecure around her but he insists that he loves me and even asked me to move in recently. He is amazing to me and says that he wants to be with me forever and start a family one day. I have insecurities and I am scared that he will leave me for her. He swears that I am the only one for him. But he thinks I am selfish for asking him to stop seeing her. Am I crazy? Why does he not understand?

520

Most Helpful Guy

• If he was good friends with her before you guys started a relationship then you have no right to ask him not to see her. It would be difficult, I get that but 1 of the worst things people in relationships do is the "it's me or them, you need to choose" scenario. If she is a long term friend like a sister then you have nothing to worry about. Insecurities can ruin relationships so try to get passed it.

• He met her after we started dating. We are in a serious relationship and they met when he switched jobs. We have hung out and now he is skiing with her and a group of friends. While I am at work. (I couldn’t get the day off) they all carpooled and I hate that she is there are I am not. I got snapchats from him and t bothers me that she is there especially when I see her in the snapchats. He tells me all the time that she is like a sister. I am trying so hard to be supportive of this, I snapchatted him telling him to have a good day and that I love him but it hurts so much on the inside.

• I can understand your point of view, I'd probably feel similar but it's not worth ruining your bond with your partner. Maybe try talking to him about it.

• I have talked to him about it. He understands but he thinks it is selfish of me to ask him not to see her. He tells me he loves me and that I am his world and that he wants to be with me forever. He always tells me that he has nothing to hide and he is not like the other guys. I don’t want to have to keep having this conversation with him because he won’t change his mind and neither will I. She is thin with perfect skin and she’s beautiful. I don’t feel that way about myself. I don’t know why he chose me instead of her. She can get any man she wants. I am so insecure when it comes to her. She makes me be this crazy insecure girlfriend and I hate that about myself. I hate that she thinks it’s ok to constantly text and snapchat MY boyfriend when she should text her own.

Most Helpful Girl

• I think you're being insecure.

My SO has 2 best friends that are female. They grew up together and are really close. To begin with I felt a little threatened, but once I got to know the girls and understood the dynamic of their friendship, I was appeased. Now I'm friends with them too, and they're amazing people to me.

I think you need to get to know her better. Honestly, I'm amazed he's been so chill about your insecurities. If my SO told me not to see a male friend, I'd see major res flags.