Would You Sign A 'Dating Contract' Before Having Relationship?

It is mutual agreement between partners converted into a contract for the sake of relationship. Here are some conditions I found:

The Dating Contract
By signing this contract you agree to all of the following terms and conditions to dating this person as well as to stick by these until the relationship is over.
1. In no way, shape or form should you place consequences upon your partner for being friends with anyone unless they are a legitimate danger to either of you or your relationship or if the friend harasses either of you.
2. You will always trust your partner while in the relationship unless you have legitimate proof that they are cheating on you.
3. You will never make them choose between you and something else minor such as, but not limited to, hanging out with friends, a family activity, playing a sport or anything else that is not detrimental to your relationship.
4. You will never cheat on your partner.
5. You will love them more than anyone else that is not related to you.
6. You will let them have their time away from you when they want, within reason.
7. You will never say anything that will insult, hurt, anger, sadden or guilt them purposely.
8. You will respect their wishes and their space.
9. You will never do anything inappropriate that was not mutually decided upon previously and agreed upon by both.
10. You will never “enter” your partner without an “open boarders” agreement that has been decided upon by both partners previously. Nor can this agreement be forced upon one by anybody. You can find remaing conditions here

As this contract shall be based mutual agreement, terms mentioned here are just an example which you can change for your relationship

If it is legally bound, you can sue your partner for breaking it.

Would You Sign A 'Dating Contract' Before Having Relationship?

• Yes I'd
    Vote A
  • No I won't
    Vote B
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
I'm a GirlI'm a Guy
Updates:
Terms written here are not exclusive. This is just an example. You get to choose term with mutual agreement

1|0

Most Helpful Girl

• If either mine or my partner's disposition necessitates a legal bind to uphold the security of our relationship, doesn't that suggest that we're missing the organic foundation of trust?

So, automatically, that implies that mutual trust in each other's faithfulness (and common sense) is not among the factors upon which this relationship is built. Although I can picture the reasons as to why some might find this kind of arrangement beneficial (e. g., people looking to enter a relationship which is founded on physical attraction, access to material provisions, out of a need to curtail loneliness, or some combination thereof), I'm scratching my head as to why *I* would be interested in this.

Trust is an important factor to me. Perhaps the most important. If it doesn't come naturally, it doesn't come at all. If you have to ensure it through a legal contract, best keep the relationship to a professional sort. Emotional relationships are just that: emotional.
    If I'm ever in a need to be in a relationship for the sake of being in a relationship, perhaps then I might consider signing such a contract. But, for now, I feel no such need.

1|1
    0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• I would. It’s interesting concept and it sort of ensures some decency and gives me some certainties.
    I can see, why so many people are against that. Too emotional. I am opposite: rational. And I don’t trust people, because…you know…my entire life experience with them.
    In this draft, there are some things I don’t like. Numbering must start from 0, the whole contract must be divided into articles. There is nothing about lying, so that needs to change.
    It also seems to dictate my behavior. For example, my partner would be above my family. And probably sometimes work.
    How should I respect some bro/girl code, when I don’t even know, what the hell that supposed to be?
    I don’t see here anything about criticism of my partner coming from me.
    Somehow, I have the feeling, that there are some contradictions. More, there aren’t properly defined terms like “small disputes”. What if it means something else than for my partner? Like…it’s almost sure that it actually will.
    It is a good idea. I like it. But the implementation is poor. Could I do better? I’m not lawyer. Lawyer could. I can only see mistakes.
    It MUST be enforceable. Otherwise it’s pointless.
    …aaaaand, I see how someone mentions Sheldon. I expected that. I’m sorry, why exactly is that wrong? Messy, chaotic people have problems with order and rules…

0|2
    0|0
    • @Wolfranium I'm reposting here just because your opinion is interesting and I'd like to discuss it :

I like the idea of a vague-ish "contract" between lovers but writing it down in such details doesn't allow the contract to flow like most relationships do. Relationships can evolve fast and in random directions. The rules need to be flexible and adapt to the partners, not the other way around.

Moreover, such formality hints toward something else : what are the consequences of breaking the rules? While it is important to stay reasonable a relationship, it is not supposed to become cold bureaucratic, like a court of law might be, with preset "punishments" for different "crimes".

• @Unigel Well, it's not about details, it's about defining things well. And I don't think this would be problem for relationship's flexibility.
      I don't know, what consequences there should be, but there should be some.
      I don't see it as bureaucracy, more like asurance. But again, the points in mine would be different than this example. It would be based more about mutual exclusiveness, sharing truth about past, not lying, and so on.

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 21

• A bit Sheldony, but just way more terrible and hard to execute, with terms like that. There are some parts of the agreement that are things people can't control, like jealously and getting angry.

No, I would not sign that, because I wouldn't be able to keep the promises I have made in the contract. Human mind is too fickle.

2|2
    0|0
    • Terms are subjective. You can change with mutual agreement. Like in BDSM contract
      You chose what you want

• I do not see the need of a 'dating contract' if one's marital status would not be changed.

How will a 'dating contract' be legally binding? What legal provisions should each party adhere to be fully held accountable for consequences, suppose breaches of contract would occur?

1|1
    0|0
  • Just no.

This idea sounds like one of those friendship contract ideas we would have when we were kids.
    www.coloringpages.co.in/.../...-Friendship-Day.png

0|1
    0|0
  • It seems like the roommate agreement in TBBT 😄
    I think I would sign one with a little bit different rules (suing sounds a bit excessive) just for fun heheh

2|1
    0|0
  • What a marriage before dating? No
    Basic rules of an intimate relationship? I follow them anyways. I don't need a piece of paper to teach me how to act right.

As for marriage after dating, that's a different thing as it has legal implications that benefit us both. And it's what you do when you find your other half.
    Not before you're done playing the field.

0|1
    0|0
  • I wouldn't do anything bad to my partner but I don't feel the need to prove that with a contract.
    It just feels weird if someone asked me to sign before we start our relationship.

0|1
    0|0
  • Hell yes I will if my partner would want me to and if we truly love each other hell yes
    If people said no about dating contract then you know people would cheat and etc on there partner

Hell yes I would sign it

0|1
    0|0
    • Odd, because I have never once cheated, but have been cheated on by two ex's in a row. Yet I would never sign such crap because a relationship requires trust. Making someone sign a damn contract so you can sue them if they step out of line like you got some legal coverage like a marriage, then you either have serious trust issues or you're out to get a quick bit of cash by making the person think you're cheating, they get in a huff and you flag this crap in their face for accusing them without proof, or insulted you in an argument.

Either way, that's not dating material.

You date someone to learn who they are, to find out you can trust them, to see if they are the person you want to spend the rest of your life with, then possibly Marry (which gives you legal protections and rights already)

You're dating, nothing more. You have zero legal obligation to your partner other than what already exists in law. Abuse, Assault, threats, and so on.

Dating takes risks like being with a douche

• @LesterJester yeah I totally agree gotta trust

• Cannot see the point, would make the relationship a joke. Plus if broke it not sure would stand up in court, what would the penalty be for breaking such a contract.

0|1
    0|0
  • And what happens if one of these are broken? Also inst number 10 just the consent law

0|1
    0|0
  • Hmm I don't know im not in a relationship mind-frame rn so rn i dont really... care
    But if i WAS, i may not have a contract

0|1
    0|0
  • I can of it sounds okay. But your contract is a bold NO... lol

0|1
    0|0
  • 0|1
    0|0
  • Hahaha no

0|1
    0|0
  • Too controlling

0|1
    0|0
  • No I wouldn’t.

1|1
    0|0
  • Nope.

0|1
    0|0
  • fuck that

0|1
    0|0
  • Nah that's weird

0|1
    0|0
  • Nope

0|1
    0|0
  • Sure

0|1
    0|0
  • More from Girls

What Guys Said 17

• That Dating Contract is only good for one thing:

Telling me that I don't want to date this Syk'O.

If you need something like this to help someone be a decent person then maybe you should not date.

0|1
    0|0
    • Oh and sue your partner for breaking it?

Wow, I see a lot of manipulation and money grabs over fk'n dating.

This isn't marriage people, get over yourselves.

• This is so bullshit! Contracts in relationships? Marriage is not contract enough? When you put a contract in a relationship your are killing it. You doesn't know how to relate with each other and you think that a contract saves everything? That is why relationships are like diseases in this days

0|1
    0|0
  • I don't date either way, but this gave me a good laugh. If the goal was money having one would be beneficial, after all you did say one partner can sue to other should anything go wrong and it's the other partner's fault.

0|1
    0|0
  • Negatory. The whole thing is common sense, really. If they can't uphold a verbal agreement of commitment, then they certainly would fail the contract. There are six basic requirements in a legally enforceable contract:
    An offer.
    An acceptance.
    Competent parties who have the legal capacity to contract.
    Lawful subject matter.
    Mutuality of obligation.
    Consideration.
    I am not sure this would be under lawful subject matter, either.

0|1
    0|0
  • not says romantic like a legal document.

in my opinion this is stupid. not only because most can be interpreted in many ways, so contact breach will happen whenever someone feels like it. but also because it makes it feel also though the person isn't doing things because they want to but because they are mandatory by the contract he signed.

0|1
    0|0
  • No, you can't even agree to anything on that list. As humans shit is going to happen like clause #2, you can't make that agreement, you can't help what your feeling/thoughts do.

0|1
    0|0
  • It wouldn't bother me if the girl pulled one of those out, I'd read it all then sign it, if it gives her piece of mind then yeah, I would

0|2
    0|0
  • Hell yeah. I'd be writing that thing with my legalese. I wrote a contract with my sister and wrote in like 20 discreet loopholes that she didn't notice.

0|1
    0|0
  • The whole idea of this contract is absurd. If you need to immediately take away each of your freedoms to enter a relationship, then you shouldn't be having an adult relationship in the first place.

1|1
    0|0
  • everything written here should be common sense, so signing me it should do no harm... i think?

1|1
    0|0
  • Relationship and life are too fluid to sign a contract expected to last years, or many years.

0|1
    0|0
  • I like the idea of a vague-ish "contract" between lovers but writing it down in such details doesn't allow the contract to flow like most relationships do. Relationships can evolve fast and in random directions. The rules need to be flexible and adapt to the partners, not the other way around.

Moreover, such formality hints toward something else : what are the consequences of breaking the rules? While it is important to stay reasonable a relationship, it is not supposed to become cold bureaucratic, like a court of law might be, with preset "punishments" for different "crimes".

0|1
    0|0
  • Nice idea... Terrible contract!! Only a moron would sign it...

1|2
    0|0
  • Lol no. I probably wouldn't be able to keep many of those promises.

0|1
    0|0
  • I am too lazy to sign this contract.

0|1
    0|0
  • 11. Must have sex at least 3 times a week

0|2
    0|0
  • Stfu

0|1
    1|1

Recommended myTakes