Would You Sign A 'Dating Contract' Before Having Relationship?

It is mutual agreement between partners converted into a contract for the sake of relationship. Here are some conditions I found:

The Dating Contract
By signing this contract you agree to all of the following terms and conditions to dating this person as well as to stick by these until the relationship is over.
1. In no way, shape or form should you place consequences upon your partner for being friends with anyone unless they are a legitimate danger to either of you or your relationship or if the friend harasses either of you.
2. You will always trust your partner while in the relationship unless you have legitimate proof that they are cheating on you.
3. You will never make them choose between you and something else minor such as, but not limited to, hanging out with friends, a family activity, playing a sport or anything else that is not detrimental to your relationship.
4. You will never cheat on your partner.
5. You will love them more than anyone else that is not related to you.
6. You will let them have their time away from you when they want, within reason.
7. You will never say anything that will insult, hurt, anger, sadden or guilt them purposely.
8. You will respect their wishes and their space.
9. You will never do anything inappropriate that was not mutually decided upon previously and agreed upon by both.
10. You will never “enter” your partner without an “open boarders” agreement that has been decided upon by both partners previously. Nor can this agreement be forced upon one by anybody. You can find remaing conditions here

As this contract shall be based mutual agreement, terms mentioned here are just an example which you can change for your relationship

If it is legally bound, you can sue your partner for breaking it.

• Yes I'd
  • No I won't
Terms written here are not exclusive. This is just an example. You get to choose term with mutual agreement

2218

Most Helpful Girl

• If either mine or my partner's disposition necessitates a legal bind to uphold the security of our relationship, doesn't that suggest that we're missing the organic foundation of trust?

So, automatically, that implies that mutual trust in each other's faithfulness (and common sense) is not among the factors upon which this relationship is built. Although I can picture the reasons as to why some might find this kind of arrangement beneficial (e. g., people looking to enter a relationship which is founded on physical attraction, access to material provisions, out of a need to curtail loneliness, or some combination thereof), I'm scratching my head as to why *I* would be interested in this.

Trust is an important factor to me. Perhaps the most important. If it doesn't come naturally, it doesn't come at all. If you have to ensure it through a legal contract, best keep the relationship to a professional sort. Emotional relationships are just that: emotional.
    If I'm ever in a need to be in a relationship for the sake of being in a relationship, perhaps then I might consider signing such a contract. But, for now, I feel no such need.

Most Helpful Guy

• I would. It’s interesting concept and it sort of ensures some decency and gives me some certainties.
    I can see, why so many people are against that. Too emotional. I am opposite: rational. And I don’t trust people, because…you know…my entire life experience with them.
    In this draft, there are some things I don’t like. Numbering must start from 0, the whole contract must be divided into articles. There is nothing about lying, so that needs to change.
    It also seems to dictate my behavior. For example, my partner would be above my family. And probably sometimes work.
    How should I respect some bro/girl code, when I don’t even know, what the hell that supposed to be?
    I don’t see here anything about criticism of my partner coming from me.
    Somehow, I have the feeling, that there are some contradictions. More, there aren’t properly defined terms like “small disputes”. What if it means something else than for my partner? Like…it’s almost sure that it actually will.
    It is a good idea. I like it. But the implementation is poor. Could I do better? I’m not lawyer. Lawyer could. I can only see mistakes.
    It MUST be enforceable. Otherwise it’s pointless.
    …aaaaand, I see how someone mentions Sheldon. I expected that. I’m sorry, why exactly is that wrong? Messy, chaotic people have problems with order and rules…

• @Wolfranium I'm reposting here just because your opinion is interesting and I'd like to discuss it :

I like the idea of a vague-ish "contract" between lovers but writing it down in such details doesn't allow the contract to flow like most relationships do. Relationships can evolve fast and in random directions. The rules need to be flexible and adapt to the partners, not the other way around.

Moreover, such formality hints toward something else : what are the consequences of breaking the rules? While it is important to stay reasonable a relationship, it is not supposed to become cold bureaucratic, like a court of law might be, with preset "punishments" for different "crimes".

• @Unigel Well, it's not about details, it's about defining things well. And I don't think this would be problem for relationship's flexibility.
      I don't know, what consequences there should be, but there should be some.
      I don't see it as bureaucracy, more like asurance. But again, the points in mine would be different than this example. It would be based more about mutual exclusiveness, sharing truth about past, not lying, and so on.