How can I get over a guy who already has a gf?

Long story short:
-Started to like a friend when we were both single.
-Too scared to go for it.
-Waited too long, he gets together with someone else.
-Same friend group and I don't want to make it awkward.
How do I get over him since he was never mine to begin with.

Thank you all for your answers (even the funny, weird, odd, etc.) I appreciate it!

3780

Most Helpful Guy

• Hi. First off, I'm sorry that your time window of opportunity, at least for this round, has passed. I've been there before with this one girl in Jr. High and never seen her again after that, so I feel you on that lost opportunity. You'll hear a lot of people say stuff like "move on" or "distance yourself from him" or "go for a different man/woman (preference)" but it's a bit different in your situation since you're both in the same group of friends. Every time that you see him/them will remind you of your "unwanted" feelings, and to tell you the truth, that OK. Feeling will be feelings, but there are tricks around it, if you like to try it out, feel free to do so, and I hope it helps. BUT!!! This will MAYBE have to be done many times.

1st - Accept that he has someone else and say it out loud if you need to. This is kinda like Alcoholics Anonymous when they say, "The first step to recovery is to acknowledge that there is a problem/challenge."

2nd - Forgive yourself for passing up that opportunity, because beating yourself up about it won't help you release the "negative" energy that's stored up within you. As you forgive yourself, you give yourself permission that what has happened is OK and that you're good to move on.

3rd - Accept and love yourself for who you wonderfully are. Ask yourself and reflect, "What can I learn from this event? and How can I improve myself from this situation for the next time I'm interested in someone else?" Everyone has traits that hinders us on moving forward the best way that we can (e. g. - not being confident, low self image, being a people pleaser, shy, etc.) and that's OK. Those are skills that can be later learned, should you wish to develop them. You're still young. =) The reasoning is the same as the 2nd - Welcome Yourself.

4th - Keep saying to yourself or out loud, in a manner on how you would think about your other friends, "He's just a friend." Do it in a friendly and calm manner. Say it enough times, and it'll trick your brain to have him categorized as, "just a friend." Do it whenever any feelings of him comes up, when ever you see him or them or her, if friends say anything that mentions him, or after kicking it with him (in the group).

5th - Do something (an activity) that's productive away from the group. Something that you might enjoy with other different people or alone.
    Yoga/Meditation
    Reading Personal development books
    Watch or listen to motivational videos on YouTube and listen to their stories/lesson

• One more thing to add:
      This won't be easy, unless you're a type of person who knows how to adjust quickly, then that's a different story. Give it some time, but you'll have to put the action into then motion. IF you don't, then it'll be like a non-flowing lake, not being able to receive fresh water and not letting go of the stale water. Be like a river stream that's able to move fresh water in from the mountains and bad water down to the oceans or lakes. Everyone have the potential to change, but it's a choice that you'll have to make yourself. The choice to stay the same with the bottled up feelings within you or change and become better by accepting and letting go. This is my opinion on your situation, and I hope it gives you perspective.

Once you're all good, and the feelings of him is, "just a friend" then you'll see how silly it was for you to think that way in the first place and can regularly talk to him. Because you became a better you. Go and Grow. I know you can do it. =)

• So many kind words and great advice 👍.

• Thank you so much for your kind words and guidance. I'll definitely keep your words in mind and learn from them :) Thank you!!!