If more men played hard to get, do you think that it would make women more proactive towards dating?

From what I’ve gathered on here, there are a lot of complaints directed at women’s apparent lack of a go-getter attitude when it comes to dating. The discontent comes mostly from the male side, from guys who feel that women leave them no choice but "to do all the work" when it comes to romantic endeavors, especially in the initial stages.

What it comes down to is the notion that women are simply too hard to get. Compared to men, we’re harder to approach, harder to impress, harder to keep impressed.

It makes sense, I suppose. A simple Google search yields an almost unanimous ‘yes’ in regard to the effectiveness of playing hard to get. Although, most of the articles, studies, and pseudo-studies are in favour of women playing hard to get.

So, what do you think would happen if men adopted the same approach for which women are condemned? What effect do you think it would have on women if men became less forward and posed more of a challenge?
Do you think that it would make women more proactive—i. e., more likely to approach potential partners, more likely to pursue someone in whom they’re interested, more likely to take the lead for date-planning?

Or, do you think it would all backfire and there’d be even more single and lonely people than there are now?

2172

Most Helpful Girl

• Generally, people "playing" hard to get are usually the ones being approached and they might have lots of pursuers (technically they may actually BE hard to get and not just playing, but I digress) and therefore can afford to take their time selecting the ideal partner.

One may also wanna play hard to get even when they're doing the approach, but it's most often counterproductive since THEY were the ones who became attracted to the other person to begin with.

That is to say, in my opinion there are already many men who rank high in the dating pool and can be as selective as they want with the number of women pursuing them, but the "market odds" are still very much in favour of women.
    You can try and play the market - playing hard to get, improve your make-up skills, go to the gym -, but at the end of the day the rules remain unchanged.

I find there are mainly two types of men women MAY pursue:
    - Men who stand out with their looks, attitude or success, or
    - Average men women already know and fell in love with.

The odds of (let's say in the US) a young regular woman pursuing a random average stranger is very, very low imho.
    On top of that, if he decides to play hard to get...

THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE
    • Not true. Even the top guys have to make moves or remain alone.

• @BigJake
      I'm telling you all these girls would be befriending me just to get close to him. Not dozen, but at least six of them that I knew.
      That was when we lived in Brazil though, so ladies there might be more proactive and less embarrassed to speak up.
      You don't have to believe me though.

• Oh, well yeah, Brazil is a bit different. Latin countries are totally different in general. Girls will come up and openly flirt with no hesitation. I was in Brazil for the Olympics and I had several girls ask me to flex, and one girl even asked to see me with my shirt off. They have no shame at all in their game.