If more men played hard to get, do you think that it would make women more proactive towards dating?

From what I’ve gathered on here, there are a lot of complaints directed at women’s apparent lack of a go-getter attitude when it comes to dating. The discontent comes mostly from the male side, from guys who feel that women leave them no choice but "to do all the work" when it comes to romantic endeavors, especially in the initial stages.

What it comes down to is the notion that women are simply too hard to get. Compared to men, we’re harder to approach, harder to impress, harder to keep impressed.

It makes sense, I suppose. A simple Google search yields an almost unanimous ‘yes’ in regard to the effectiveness of playing hard to get. Although, most of the articles, studies, and pseudo-studies are in favour of women playing hard to get.

So, what do you think would happen if men adopted the same approach for which women are condemned? What effect do you think it would have on women if men became less forward and posed more of a challenge?
If more men played hard to get, do you think that it would make women more proactive towards dating?
Do you think that it would make women more proactive—i. e., more likely to approach potential partners, more likely to pursue someone in whom they’re interested, more likely to take the lead for date-planning?

Or, do you think it would all backfire and there’d be even more single and lonely people than there are now?

1|3

Most Helpful Girl

• Generally, people "playing" hard to get are usually the ones being approached and they might have lots of pursuers (technically they may actually BE hard to get and not just playing, but I digress) and therefore can afford to take their time selecting the ideal partner.

One may also wanna play hard to get even when they're doing the approach, but it's most often counterproductive since THEY were the ones who became attracted to the other person to begin with.

That is to say, in my opinion there are already many men who rank high in the dating pool and can be as selective as they want with the number of women pursuing them, but the "market odds" are still very much in favour of women.
    You can try and play the market - playing hard to get, improve your make-up skills, go to the gym -, but at the end of the day the rules remain unchanged.

I find there are mainly two types of men women MAY pursue:
    - Men who stand out with their looks, attitude or success, or
    - Average men women already know and fell in love with.

The odds of (let's say in the US) a young regular woman pursuing a random average stranger is very, very low imho.
    On top of that, if he decides to play hard to get...

1|0
    0|0
    THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE
    • Not true. Even the top guys have to make moves or remain alone.

• Show All
    • @BigJake
      I'm telling you all these girls would be befriending me just to get close to him. Not dozen, but at least six of them that I knew.
      That was when we lived in Brazil though, so ladies there might be more proactive and less embarrassed to speak up.
      You don't have to believe me though.

• Oh, well yeah, Brazil is a bit different. Latin countries are totally different in general. Girls will come up and openly flirt with no hesitation. I was in Brazil for the Olympics and I had several girls ask me to flex, and one girl even asked to see me with my shirt off. They have no shame at all in their game.

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 72

• Women chase after guys all the time. The problem is these guys are all in the top 20% of men. Because these guys are in such high demand, they really are hard to get already. Even if the other 80% of guys started acting hard to get, it wouldn't mean much. In Japan men have pretty much given up on relationships, so already are hard to get, and the women don't care, because those aren't the guys the women are interested in anyway.

2|4
    0|0
    • Many Japanese men and women, actually.

• Show All
    • @dipta For the men I always heard it was because they were expected to work 60-80 hour work weeks and then had to give all his money to his wife, that might give him a small allowance. That sounds like a horrible deal for a man to take. So a lot of guys had just given up because they were being asked for too much.

• For me it would be a horrible deal as well but, as far as I noticed, most men here do it happily as work is already one the top priorities of their life.
      Many companies are trying to adapt to international standards and reduce overtime but, like I said, it's not just the married people that work overtime. Ones do it for the family's, other because they don't have anything else.

Those men haven't given up on women because of money. They just don't have the slightest clue on how to connect with them.

• I think people, men and women, need to stop with all the games, stop acting like you're not interested if you are interested, just be yourself be honest. Men and women both already complain a lot about the other, whether it's because men/women are difficult to understand. Or because one thinks the other only wants sex or because he or she was to forward or too emotional, or not emotional enough.

If people in general were honest with each other about what their intentions were. I would think that men and women both would stop saying things like, "Why are there no decent men/women left in the world?" or "Why do all the women/men play mind games?"

Unfortunately I think all of these obstacles we put each other through is engrained in us, whether because of a subconscious fear of being rejected. Or perhaps a subconscious need to see if the other person can pass are equally subconscious checklist, to start a relationship with.

But then there are those who make their "pray" go through the mentally and emotionally draining games, simply because their goal is to torment the person. And then leave them in the dust when they're bored. For no other reason than because he/she only wanted the fun and to see how far they mentally push the person.

Whether because we are subconsciously trying to keep from instant rejection, or from being sneered at, or for what ever reason we have our guards up to keep from getting hurt.

Ultimately, if men were to start playing harder to get, then some women might find that attractive, while other women might decide the guy's not interested in her. Others would be insulted and yet for other women, it would likely re-enforce their belief that "all" men are assholes.

Unlike logic and reason where things are similar to a straight line, emotions and relationships are equal to a roller-coaster. One makes sense and the other you sometimes feel like your holding on for dear life and just trying to figure out if your shoulder harness is sturdy enough.

Unforunately

1|0
    0|0
  • I just wish my fellow brothers would realise that *being* hard to get is what draws the ladies in. The guys that need to "play" hard to get would simply end up with nothing because girls don't want them to begin with.

The honest truth is that, for a guy if you want women to be proactive about approaching you, you just gotta be good at most aspects of life in general. Think about it carefully... women cannot "go get men" if those men are not "ahead" of them right :P

2|1
    0|0
  • The problem is biology. Men have higher sex drives then women due to testosterone and are greater risk takers, all of this pushes them towards action when it comes to women. Women on the other hand have a lower sex drive (as many male to female transsexuals have pointed out they where actually surprised because as they took more estrogens they found they could actually ignore their sex drive which was much harder to do prior to treatment) and are risk averting making them more inclined to wait and see. This immeidatlye works against a system where men play hard to get and women are the persuers. Also the fact that from a reproductive standpoint women are more valuable then men (as gestation has a greater impact on women then men, she does most of the work takes most of the risk and even after birth has to nurse the young for a couple of years while he just spends what ever time and energy it took to impregnate her) making it far more likely that this would just horribly backfire. That's before you get into the issue of requiring the majority of men to do this, if only half of them do this it will just give the other half of men better "pickings" so to speak as the women will not change their approach. So you would need to convince almost every man to do this and almost every woman to do this in order for it to work which is not going to happen (and again we are already predisposed to not function in this way).

0|0
    0|0
  • I think women would start getting more proactive, but only towards the top 10 or maybe 20 percent of males. The rest of the males playing hard to get would never be gotten. The top 20% of males would suddenly have to learn how to reject women and do it nicely. Women who got one would be happy. Women who didn't would complain that they were treated badly and that men suck. ;-)

0|1
    0|0
  • wouldn't work.
    Because there isn't such a thing as "playing " hard to get. You either are hard to get or you aren't.
    An unattractive woman can't play hard to get and expect guys to go for it.
    in the same way, average guys can't play hard to get and expect women to go for us.

The guys who really are hard to get, the really successful, good looking guys, already have tons of women going for them.
    Same with attractive women.
    Only the deal is that more men would go for a woman than vice versa.
    I. e. women have more value on average in the dating/relationship market. I think its always been like this, but in recent times men lost a lot of value.
    With women being self sufficient and entering the workforce, they dont really need a man anymore. So the number of men still attractive to women decreased by a lot.

Back in the day, a man who took care of family, had a decent job, and wasn't involved in too much bs was a catch. Enough for women to put in a bit of effort.
    Nowadays that isn't the case.

This playing hard thing wouldn't work.
    I would advice guys to try and maximise their success in everything. Be the best you can ever be. Not just for women, but for yourself.
    And then when you seek women go for girls below your level.
    Like, basically wife up the girl that wants you, not the girls you want.
    Thats the key to success.
    Never ever settle for a girl that feels she settled for you.
    If you are with a girl who adores you, you already won in life. everything else in life will be smooth. Even during rough patches, you will be sure of what you got.

0|0
    0|0
  • People tend to place a higher value on what they can't have.
    I don't play hard to get. But I can say that when I reject girls (especially the ones who try to play me), it takes about 2 seconds for them to come chasing after me. By that time, it's too late, but they still do it. Some persist for years before finally giving up.

0|0
    0|0
  • The only issue why is there is a difference is not so much that women are pickier per se, but men are too easy. Men will have sex with anything... they’re standards are so low it’s pathetic. If men weren’t easy, you’ll definitely see more proactive women.

0|0
    0|0
  • I feel like some women would start to complain even more about where the "real" men were, and how there doesn't seem to be any strong gentlemen anymore.. I think it would just get many women frustrated if they couldn't adapt to the situation..

0|2
    0|0
  • Culturally it's known that the man will do everything, even if you go back 1000 years back it was the same and maybe a lot of fixed/arranged marriage. If men start playing hard to get now , guess what ! They are called dogs, pigs, monsters, impostors, A-hole, gay and the list goes on and on. There is men who plays hard to get already, if you want them to be more of those just hashtag it somewhere, people love hashtags

0|0
    0|0
  • Honestly? Yes I do. I've had A LOT of success with the dating app bumble. It's a shitty free app no different from Tinder and yet I will say that the women I met up with off the app seemed "mentally healthier" and a bit more confident/successful.

Why Bumble? Well it makes guys "harder to get" in a way because women have to do all the work.

0|0
    0|0
  • first off anyone that plays "hard to get" is playing games and the other sex needs to say "fuck off" to them. I would never bother with any woman that played that kind of game.
    second, as long as pussy exists in the world, no guy is going to play hard to get.
    What really needs to happen is that women need to stop having such a messed up view on sex. That would make everything a lot better.

0|0
    0|0
    • I think the reason we have that "messed up view" is because nobody wants to be screwed over.. literally. They wouldn't want to be used by someone who doesn't care for them. That's what I think anyway.

• Personally, I don't think either men or women should play hard to get because I think it's stupid and childish. I had a girlfriend when I was a kid who was always playing hard to get and it was very annoying. If a woman is attracted to a man she should just ask him out and if a man is attracted to a woman she should just ask him out. It really is that simple.

0|1
    0|0
  • My current girlfriend didn't play hard to get at all. She persued me just as much as the reverse, although I was the one to suggest the first date.

1|1
    0|0
    • To answer your question directly though, yes, I think if the majority of men did play hard to get the dynamics would change, but due to testosterone and sex drive, I don't see men all being of one mind on this. I believe that back in the day, when men were forced to court women before sex, where men were taught to be more disciplined to wait for marriage for sex, men focused more of their energy on finding a purpose in life outside of women and relationships. Women were more active in making themselves available for partnership rather than simply having a fun time. Fun was something that sort of just happened as people were making lives for themselves, while now in our culture of instant gratification, fun is something people constantly seek and actually expect in almost every facet of life. Hard work is all too often seen as an unpleasant distraction from fun rather than something to be embraced, including in relationships.

• I really doubt the needle would move much with women approaching more. There'd just be more women asking "am I not attractive enough?", "how come no one approaches me?", "how do do you get a guy to approach you?". It'd be incessant.

1|1
    0|0
  • Playing that game is ineffective towards me. I'll try 2-3 times with a girl to make plans and if she flakes on all those I tell her "if you ever (insert her excuse) and want to do anything you let me know". Then I delete her number. Sometimes suddenly their not so sick/tired anymore.

0|0
    0|0
  • i dont like girls who play hard to get, i have stopped contacting 3 girls, and the 3 of them are hot, because they played hard to get and acted like theyre better than me despite showing interested and flirting with me when i had little to no interest in them... and now they stare at me when i walk by and probably wonder why the heck he is not talking to us..

well when i did talk to them they acted like princess, now iam not interested in getting the m.

0|1
    0|0
  • Some girls will definitely get more prowler like. Others will have to join a nunnery. There would be whole new whingy demographic of people on the Internet, mostly things would stay the same, but sexuality might change a little, more assertive dominant females. Might be interesting.

0|0
    0|0
  • I think it would backfire. Here's a shocking idea, how about everyone stopped playing hard to get? What if there were no games altogether?

0|2
    0|0
  • Unless it was every man I don't think the ladies would even notice. They would just respond to the few dudes left who are so thirsty they couldn't play hard to get. But if you mean some kind of reverse lystrata then I think the women would eventually go batshit. I'm pretty sure women are just as horny as men in the end otherwise we wouldn't be overpopulating the planet.

0|0
    1|0
  • More from Guys

What Girls Said 20

• I don't think people should be playing hard to get in the first place. Neither gender should.

It's different to be selective of the people you want around you than to pretend you're not interested in someone just for the sake of mind games. That literally achieves nothing.

People seem to be mixing up these two. If someone says no to a date, it doesn't mean that they're "playing" hard to get. They're most likely just not interested and it's not an act.

0|1
    0|0
  • No because we're already sick of their bullshit as it is. Adding more bullshit to the bullshit isn't going to make it any better lol

0|0
    0|1
  • If men were harder to get, women would work for them more. It would be more balanced in my opinion. However, the very shy women would probably have a harder time and they would struggle a bit. in my opinion to remedy this, they could do online dating.

0|1
    0|1
  • If a woman feels like a man is not interested in her by ignoring her or playing hard to get, then she's just going to think he doesn't like her and move on. I would assume the guy is liking the attention or ego boost he's getting but doesn't really want much from her if he's doing the whole hard to get thing.

0|0
    0|1
  • This is based on the assumption that women actively want to be pursued by men.

I don’t know about the rest of you, but I’ve met plenty of men lately who ain’t shit. I’m not going out of my way to pursue That™.

0|0
    0|0
  • Well I read somewhere before that women use the "hard-to-get" tactic due to biological differences. I mean, women are the ones who end up carrying the baby and would have to raise it on their own if their partner just left them, leaving them defenseless. So as a response to keep that from happening, women make sure the men work hard to earn their trust and make sure they won't desert them.
    I just read that somewhere so I don't know :/

0|0
    0|0
  • No more than anything else, playing hard to get can either keep people interested and on their toes or bored enough to realise they aren't getting what they want and go because it isn't worth it. There's a fine line between being eager and losing hope and that's where it can all go wrong. There's nothing wrong with teasing someone but still wanting to be with them; I'm not talking about messing around with emotions, I'm talking genuine interest and just being playful until you want to give up the ghost.

0|0
    0|0
  • It would not work for women. If someone seems uninterested we just move on. That is in our nature.

0|1
    0|1
    • It would not work for real men either. Only girls and boys do that.

• No. I find men who are distant a turn off. Even a boyfriend who turns off, it’s not attractive.

0|0
    0|0
  • Maybe, but I think some women would just move on to the next one.

1|0
    0|0
    • Only after trying hard for a while.

• Not all women (or people in general) find playing hard to get as a challenge. I, personally, think it's a bit childish and if a guy feels the need to do that, then I'd certainly move on.

• Obviously no one likes chasing someone who isn't trying but in cases where you actually think they aren't interested since they barely know you and you are interested, you'd try for a while then give up or not try at all.

• To a certain degree. I was pining over a dude who was playing hard to get for a year. Then I blew up and left.

0|0
    0|0
  • yeah guys are thirsty af. They're just waiting for a sign to come get you lol

0|0
    0|1
  • Yep, but it has to be a unified front

0|0
    0|0
  • Yeah

0|1
    0|1
  • It's a no from me.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes, definitely

0|0
    0|0
  • Well if I just did whatever you wanted and I didn't play hard to get in the beginning you would see me as easy, use me and dump me.
    The good are never easy, the easy are never good.
    If you want something good you have to work for it.

0|0
    0|2
  • Nope, only the players would get all the girls because those guys actually make a move!
    When a guy is distant and doesn't seem to like like me, I believe it and move on. I don't chase him, been there done that in the past and it was no bueno. So if a guy plays hard to get, I have no desire to try to get him, I walk away

0|0
    0|0
  • Nope. Playing like your not interested isn't the key. Having more to you than meets the eye is where its really at. The idea is to let the guy or girl know who you are and what you want without conveying a desperation or a need for their attention. Playing hard to get only works if the person already likes you anyway. Its not gaurenteed to work on anybody who isn't interested

1|0
    0|0
  • I always preferred to be the one that did the approaching because its matters if I see him often enough to feel comfortable and to get to know him before I decide if I actually like him enough to trade numbers.

From my experience, when guys reach out they are just physically attracted and just pretty much hitting on me without genuinely trying to really get to know me. Then there are guys who claim to, but then they are usually also pretending to be someone they are not.

The men that I find myself to enjoy more are the reserved, open minded, witty, light-hearted and doesn't ask every girl that talks to them for their number. Personally, those guys are who I feel comfortable around and want to get to know more because I don't feel pressure around them.

I hope this helps!

0|3
    0|0

Recommended myTakes