Found my boyfriend's old love letters... twice! Should I be upset?

Okay, so let's start off with I totally trust my boyfriend. He was in his last relationship for 15 years, ending in a divorce. That being so, I expect his to have lots of things which were gifts from his ex and a whole house full of memories (this I do not care about). When I was searching for some hand lotion in a little basket on his dresser, I saw he had one of those "why I love you" books from her. I did not read it and I did not get upset. I placed it on the dresser in the hopes that he would see it and get rid of it (because maybe he forgot). However, when searching for socks I saw he moved it to a new location. I am so hurt and upset. It's not like it's something like clothes or something like that. This is a specific token of how much she loved him. Am I crazy for being upset and hurt that he did not get rid of it, but moved it?

826

Most Helpful Guy

• "I placed it on the dresser in the hopes that he would see it and get rid of it"

Big mistake. You're not wrong for the way you feel, however you're best asking him about this. And in a way that emphasizes your understanding for why he would do such a thing. I'm not saying your feelings aren't valid, just please listen to him as intently as you'd like him to listen to you on this.

• I see what you mean. It would just have been nice if he had the forethought of thinking "oh wow seeing this would probably hurt her so why don't I put it away" I guess it hurt me that it was so accessible and not like tucked away as a memory, if that makes sense.

• Your feelings are totally valid. Just think about his intent. I doubt his intent was to make you feel that way, but it's understandable why you would.

Most Helpful Girl

• Rather than getting upset about something that you don't understand maybe you talk to him about it. I don't feel it's my place to ask somebody to get rid of something that is theirs. I would voice my opinion absolutely but I feel it's important to respect their decision even when I don't agree with it.

• That's exactly usually what I do. I guess my emotions got the better of me. Like I have replied to some of the guys here, I just wish it was away from sight. Like to have memories tucked away or to keep something sentimental is one thing, but having them "close by" I guess just hurts
      My feelings.

• I would imagine it would mine as well.