Does anyone else agree that Smart phones and Social media are the reason why so many marriages and relationships have problems?

Most Helpful Girl

• Marriages and relationships have problems because of a lack of trust and a lack of communication. Phones and social media don’t have any power over people, they’re tools. Not entities that make us do things against our will. If they didn’t exist, people would just use other things to blame their bad relationships on.
    Maybe if people started taking more responsibility for their actions and stopped blaming other things for their lack of trust and communication skills, relationships would look a lot different.

• Yup I agree , selfishness is the biggest killer in a relationship

What Girls Said 18

• No, not at all. It is the people that cheat. The intent is there. Social media and phones just make it easier.

• Social media and smart phones make cheating easier but that doesn't mean just because it's easier, couples stray. It all comes down to spending time with each other and communication between one another. You can be active in social media or be on your phone but if your s/o is your #1 priority (and only s/o), then there should be no problems.

• Not really... if the foundations were solid having access to social media or not doesn’t matter.
    People don’t communicate anymore, they don’t work out or acknowledge situations before they become problems and they don’t learn how to respectfully deal with situations that to arise so it blows out.
    I think technology makes cheating EASIER but if a person were going to cheat it would happen with or without tech

• HMM. I believe it contributes to some cheats because social media makes it so easy, especially like snapchat or something like that, but I do agree if the person is gonna cheat, he/she is gonna cheat anyway regardless. On the other hand, I feel like since it's so easy to just text or message, lots people don't spend enough quality time with their partner.

• I think it makes being secretive easier but it also makes people more controlling, like the trendy meme about going through your partner’s phone because you don’t trust them. There’s a lot of misplaced suspicion on everything.

• That's the thing everyone gets suspicious one way or another nobody wants to be played a fool when you give your heart to someone so that's why when you're in a serious relationship your partner and yourself should habe access to their phones , not saying you habe to look at it all the time but when the suspicion rises a partner should have every right to look at your phone without locks on it

• Not the technology... It's the relationship that doesn't have good communication together that causes the problems.

• No, I don't agree.
    People that use Smartphones and Social Media as a reason to be asshats ARE the reason why so many marriages and relationships have problems.
    Grow up, be an adult, behave like one and stop using your screen as a way to justify your stupid behaviour
    (Disclaimer: "your" as not in the asker's, "your" as in those who use such a justification)

• Yeah. I see more on this site then any other. I see so many girls worried about instagram and what their boyfriends are doing on it and why they're following other girls. If there is lack of trust or lack of communication in the relationship then social media is just going to break the relationship even more.

• Yes and no. I agree it makes cheating easier. But they'd still find a way without.

• It causes problems for people with trust issues, but not everyone

• I remember back before cell phones and internet. The divorce rate was still a 50% chance. So No, I don't think smartphones are the problem.

• I don't agree. Its like saying guns kill people. There is a person on that phone making the choice to do something that isn't right. The phone isn't making them do it

• I agree actually. Begore the phones I guess it was harder to find things that will ruin the relationships. Now its ex to find out. On the other hand, if all you do is staring at your smartphone and not dedicate yourself to the relationship...

• True , I just think it's hard to find someone loyal these days everyone cheats one way or the other that's why it's hard to give my heart a hundred percent nowadays cuz second I do i get shit on

• @Finchie40 I'm sorry that keeps happening to you. I hope you find your someone. <3

• Yes 1000%

• Never caused problems in my relationships.

• Yeah

• 50 50 I mean smart technology is taking over the world I mean people are too obsessed with phones and other items to do so and it’s controlling their social life and making people unhealthy or inactive etc and it is also a way to communicate secretly with other people ie to cheat but the trust shouldn’t be an issue, if you are stating this in a trust relationship then it shouldn’t be an issue if you trust the person then phones shouldn’t be an issue an shouldn’t be kept private but they should be allowed privacy on their phones also so I guess it’s the loyalty that comes in but if you mean as in it’s controlling the social life etc then yes defo an issue in my opinion

• Problems have always been there, difference is that hitting on people or getting a booty call is a lock screen away.

• No, it’s that people don’t have or hold to personal values.

What Guys Said 8

• Yes, private stuff gets opens up and gets people involved that shoudnt get involved

• Phones might make it easier to cheat but phones dont make people unwilling to communicate in fact they actually facilitate that quite nicely. It's your choice to become withdrawn and the look for attention/comfort outside of your current relationship.

• It contributes too yes, but marriage and relationship issues have been on the rise before this smart phone age. Recently I was forwarded photos from my friends wife. She was trying to describe a certain look and topic but I thought at the time "why is she sending me these revealing photos" I deleted after our conversation.

• I don't agree. The technology isn't the problem. The main reason is the breakdown in communication and lack of trust/fidelity. Smartphones and social media only make the problems more apparent.

• I think it's de cause of lots of problems mankind has

• Nope, it does make things harder though

• Yep sure do people can't put them down.

• I would say they have created a society that is way to reliant on them.