Can Non-Monogamous relationships work?

Growing up, I was raised with the common generic idea that I need to find "The one". That person who hits all of my check boxes, and is just as enthusiastic about me as I am about them. Within the past year, I've come to my own personal realization that I will never find "the one" and just the simple concept of such a person is not only impractical, but quite unfair overall. That's a ton of pressure to put on just one person!

So, I opened up my mind to the possibility of having multiple partners with a strong emphasis on communication, and adjustments as needed. So far, things have been going swimmingly, and I can say that this is an excellent arrangement for me as I have less time for anxiety as I can keep busy interacting/hanging out with my various partners.

That said, I've found that many on the outside looking in have a sense of doubt or mistrust with the idea of such an arrangement. I understand that our society pushes for more monogamous arrangements, and there are countless examples of unhealthy relationships involving multiple partners.

So, my personal experience aside, what's everyone's take on open/poly/Non-monogamous arrangements? Are they healthy? Are they sustainable? Can they work for the long term? etc.

I've seen many scoff at the idea, so it would be interesting to hear some thoughts on it.

12