Can Non-Monogamous relationships work?

Growing up, I was raised with the common generic idea that I need to find "The one". That person who hits all of my check boxes, and is just as enthusiastic about me as I am about them. Within the past year, I've come to my own personal realization that I will never find "the one" and just the simple concept of such a person is not only impractical, but quite unfair overall. That's a ton of pressure to put on just one person!

So, I opened up my mind to the possibility of having multiple partners with a strong emphasis on communication, and adjustments as needed. So far, things have been going swimmingly, and I can say that this is an excellent arrangement for me as I have less time for anxiety as I can keep busy interacting/hanging out with my various partners.

That said, I've found that many on the outside looking in have a sense of doubt or mistrust with the idea of such an arrangement. I understand that our society pushes for more monogamous arrangements, and there are countless examples of unhealthy relationships involving multiple partners.

So, my personal experience aside, what's everyone's take on open/poly/Non-monogamous arrangements? Are they healthy? Are they sustainable? Can they work for the long term? etc.

I've seen many scoff at the idea, so it would be interesting to hear some thoughts on it.

0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls & Guys Said

• About as well as a viola in a symphonic wind ensemble. So depending on your attitude and definitions of words, technically.

0|0
    0|0
  • No. There is a reason societies invented marriage as the best form of regulating sex and procreation.

0|0
    0|0
  • Well, with me being a not so jealous person, I would be ok with it.
    Sex is completely out of the question for me because I find it gross and have some sort of issue with it. So if I was in a relationship, unless they were ok not having sex, I would let them sleep with other people. And if they ultimately fall in love with someone else, I would be fine with it, because they found someone who makes them happy and meets all their needs.

I know this might seem weird to most, but I believe that someone could deeply love their partner even though they cheat, and that some people can be in love with more than one person.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes