Why is this young man stressed? Am I being to harsh or am I the problem?

I was dating someone and we kept getting into nasty fights about where his life is going. He was employed when I met him now he is unemployed, I scheduled an interview for him working as a florist becauss he wants to either become a botanist or zoologist one day. He does not want to go to the interview.

He has no driver’s license so everytime we are in my car I offer to teach him how to drive since he just finished studying for the driver’s test. He fights me on this and says things like I am tired, I do not feel like it. No matter the day or time of day. I had to force him to drive. He is studying for a GED so I offer to help him study and he says no. He has failed the test in the past.

Anytime we fight about him working he says that he does things on his time and not mine. I make fun of him and say he is not normal. Its been three months since he has been talking about getting a car, job, and GED. He has run out of money. The money he had aside to get his car he spent it all on marijuana. He has overdrafted his account over $100 and continues to live off of charging his overdrafted bank card and putting him further into the negative.

His friends come over every night to smoke marijuana with him. He was selling marijuana at one point but he smoked it all. He lives with his mom in a closet-like room. He says that I need to encourage him instead of putting him down. I have called him a loser. We fight about the smallest things like taking a shower. I usually have to push him to take a shower everyday.

I have experienced three loses within just a year so I deal with him out of desperation and loneliness. I have lost control over most things in my life and the only thing I can control is getting him work, a driver’s license, a GED, and transportation.

He is 27 years old like myself. He says that he is stressed and that is why he does not want to work. I ask him what is he stressed about? He will not say. He does not have a history of mental illness.

130

Most Helpful Guy

• Well, I think you are a bit over the line... and he has his problems, mostly with weed. Why is he stressed? He is going through so much shit in life he is drowning himself in weed... seems self-evident to me... and if he is smoking it so often it makes sense he wouldn't want to sit behind the steering wheel... anyways, dont push him around as much... you should either be more supportive and look into his weed problem more than showers and driving... or just let him be a lost cause and not waste your time... the latter would be healthier for you if you are not with him out of love and compassion...

• Why would I look into his weed problem? Im not a doctor.

• Well for the moment he should just smoke less and do more stuff that moves his life in a better direction. If you are able to support him well enough and maybe have some influence to him as a person who is a bit more to him than others, you should have enough impact on him so he might smoke less. Weed isn't the drug that binds your brain chemically so much, which is why its possible to treat by motivation and willpower

Most Helpful Girl

• Omg... this sounds so much like my story it's heartbreaking. I've moved on hun and put a stop to it all. If he can't be in charge of his own life why should we? You have no strings attached. Be brave and move on from that. Better be lonely and sad, that having company and feeling sad regardless x