What is the reason the majority of people date their own race and rarely other races? Preference or the environment they live in?

Short story: do you think most people actually prefer their race and that's why most couples are same race or it is because many cities/towns are not very diverse so there's not much to choose from?

25

Most Helpful Girl

• Can be all reasons at once. Preferences, and cultural differences play a big role. Because usually people like to be with someone they can share what they have in common. I realise this is about race and not other nationalities, but interracial relationships are more common in the USA than other countries (especially eastern countries), because they are more open culturally and they have the biggest mix of different races
    But even in other countries, interracial relationships and marriages are slowly becoming popular, and I'm currently being in one

• That is true but still only 15% of all marriages are interracial in America. That's common but is not by any means close to being Extremly common. 85% to 15%... well it's fair to say they are still a minority

• I think 15% is a pretty good amount of interracial marriages if u compare it to the last few decades. And also don't forget that there are also interracial relationships that are not included in that 15%.
      And this is a sign of an increased cultural openness, which can't happen instantly. It's supposed to increase gradually, which is what is happening

take a look at this graph

i2.cdn.turner.com/.../...nterracial.percentage.jpg

Most Helpful Guy

• I know personally the only reason I don't mingle more with other races is probably just because I'm not as comfortable with their Customs what they eat things like that and I don't want to feel awkward in a situation so it doesn't allow me he with another race this easy as my own. It has nothing to do with me not liking the other person actually find the differences amazing.