How soon is 'too soon' to start looking for another serious relationship after a break up?

I'm not talking how soon before rebounding, or how soon before one night stands or even how soon for just casual dating. I mean specifically dating or looking with the intent to start a serious relationship.

My ex boyfriend broke up with me November of last year, so it hasn't really been all that long, almost three months. I honestly feel like I am over him. He was really emotionally abusive, and over all not a good person, which I didn't realise until after the fact. Thankfully he dumped me before I ended up spending more than a year with him.

I met this guy late December, and we talk quite a bit, started watching a show together. He's very friendly, I've told him a few things less than a handful of people know, he trusted me with some stuff he is a little insecure about. I admitted to myself that I like him, and definitely want to pursue something with him at some point if he wants that too. However, since we just met a month ago, I know that I need to wait at least another month before approaching him about that. Is that still too soon?

I want a serious relationship, and based on everything he has told me, that's what he wants in the long run as well; but, I have been told and read that you should wait a year before dating again, especially on a serious level. Should I wait just the next month, two months, half a year?

How soon do you think is too soon?

420

Most Helpful Guy

• I think it's whenever you want to start feeling love and passion and you want to share the same things with somebody but more important think deeply what you learned that situation and try to look at things in a different way people come into our lives all the time for a reason. Do you teach you something positive or negative who we want to be or who we don't want to be. so I hope your last boyfriend taught you something about yourself and you do all the signs you said he was emotionally abusive and not a good person the very first day that started is very first day you should have walked away because it'll never stop and you cannot change him so to answer your question, you're ready to start a new relationship when you know exactly what you want and who you are and exactly how you want to be treated and how you don't want to be treated because if it's a negative and you allowed to keep going on that's who you're going to be for the rest of your life learn the signs and walk away there are 500 billion guys out there that would probably love to date you don't have love tunnel vision and be hurt somewhere down the road good luck true love is a beautiful thing whether you're giving or receiving

Most Helpful Girl

• 7 months to a year to iron yourself out. BE fully clear of your thoughts and learn from your mistakes and regrets. Now I know a lot of people often want to say that saying about don't have any regrets. But the fact is if you've done something wrong especially concerning premarital sex you are going to regret it. And for others that say that there's no such thing as being too soon, are not being smart. Only you know who you or as a person. If you're mostly sensitive and you attach to people easily it would not be wise for you to immediately jump into dating. And if you do try to get into a serious relationship start out as being friends first before you even think about if dating is something that you both should get into. As long as both of you make your intentions clear then it's best for you to just wait it out and not rush. What they had said is correct that you most certainly should wait at least a year. Everybody has to go at their own pace, but only you know what you're looking for in a dating partner.