How do I make amends with a guy friend I rejected a month ago (Read description!)?

We've been acquaintances for 3 years and we've been really good friends these past few months. He would happily talk to me and joke around with me between classes at school. I noticed he would start to go out of his way to find me and talk to me as often as he could. Many of our friends noticed this, too, and teased him about it, but he didn't seem to mind. In December, he confessed that he had feelings for me and asked me directly if I requited similar feelings. I was shocked and stuttered out an honest "no" with an apologetic trail of mumbled words afterwards. He said "it's ok" and walked away. I texted him later that same day, apologizing and asking if he was really okay and if we could still be friends. He said he might need some space (this also happened to be the day before winter break) but that we could still be friends. When break was over, he avoided me like the plague. I let him, assuming he still needed space. A couple days went by, I spotted him in the hallway periodically and I smiled and said hi. This has been going on for over a month now. He winces and pretends not to see or hear me everytime. I feel awful. I didn't mean to hurt him that bad.
I know it probably sounds selfish of me to want my friend back, but I also really want some closure. I really don't want to have to spend the rest of high school with him awkwardly avoiding me. We have a lot of friends in common so it has become a concern for other people as well.
Sorry for the long explanation... also, please don't yell at me for my past mistakes. I'd just like some advice about what to do about this and what to know for future reference in case something similar happens again.
(I'm very shy and I have no dating experience so go easy on me please)

04

Most Helpful Guy

• You don't want him back as a friend. If he's avoiding you now, clearly the friendship was one-sided.
    Keep your head up and move on