Opinion of shy guys, and how to not be so shy?

Id like to classify myself as an introvert. I've had a rough upbringing as kid, and as young adult, and have tough times as an adult right now. So I don't really open up, when I do i don't really give the full story. I've been told I have a very intense look about me, which makes me unapproachable. I have some social anxiety too so that doesn't really help.

I've been told if I "don't mean mug" everyone I am actually very attractive. I crave intellectual conversation and want human interaction. But I am so afraid to talk, and I look like I have a constant scowl on my face, its nearly impossible for me to work up the courage to chat with someone.

Any advice?

11