Does age difference matter?

I'm 22 years old, going on 23 in August. I met a guy who's 35 years old at a bar (not drunk). He's mentally and physically appealing to me, but I've never gotten to know someone that old before. This is new for me, but I find it interesting. I don't know what I want the outcome to be, but I guess i want to know if this age difference matters? And to what extent dating wise?

0|1

Most Helpful Guy

• All that matters is your compatibility , your emotions , your trust level and your comfort with each other.

Age , race , caste , location doesn't matter when both of you are happy , lead a good life , and have a great comfort level.

Love , care , trust , emotions is what makes the relation worthwhile. So surely go for it if that's what makes you happy

1|0
    0|0
    • Show All
    • Being_a_good_Indian Age is just a number? Too Young is just an Asian name and jail is just a room?
      OK, that's not the problem HERE.

• @jacquesvol

Relationships that have an age gap are outside of what we see as a societal norm, we can't fit it into a box so we judge them. When you have a twenty year old with a forty year old we tend to think that it's a large age gap, but when we have a couple where one is thirty and the other is forty-five, we don't think anything about it. I agree Problems exist.

*"Just try to think about how both of you will be in 2033. And what difference in physical health and energy there will be then."*

For most young women who seek older men, it is quite common that they're looking for maturity and confidence as well.

@ Asker

Age shouldn't really matter for as long as you love the person you're with. Always have a positive attitude in your relationship and try to be as understanding as you can be. If you do this, you will definitely not regret having your partner in your life.

Most Helpful Girl

• I think the only problem that usually comes is that with age difference, the two people are at different stages of their life. While you want a marriage, he might be ready for kids. When you want to travel, we wants to start saving up.

1|2
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls & Guys Said

• It depends how mature you are and how mature he is and also how young he looks. When I was 23 I went on blind dates with 35 year olds so I don't think its necessarily bad.

1|1
    0|0
  • This particular one doesn't matter. People's maturity levels and biological age often don't correspond to their chronological age anyway. What matters is how you get along with each other, and sure, physical attraction doesn't hurt, either.

1|0
    0|0
  • Age in dating does matter. Anyone who tells you it doesn't is a liar. But, that doesn't mean people with large age gaps can't make it work. It just means that you are going to have things to work through that someone who dated within their peer group wouldn't. Your both consenting adults, so the age gap isn' something I'd write off a potential relationship for. But, go in with your eyes open. He is at a completely different life stage then you, which means more likely then not your going to have vastly different priorities. Think about your goals outside of a relationship first. Are you looking to move to another city to start your career? Then it's probably not a good idea as he's most likely already well established in his and that means one of you is going to have to give something up. Are you heavily career orientated? He's getting to the age where he may be ready to start a family, he also could not want kids but it is something to consider. It can absolutely work, but just be aware of the sorts of conflict that may come up.

1|0
    0|0
  • It only matters if your sure that when you yourself get older are still going too love him same as now til then? Will u be okay wirh being 35 one day and to be with a 47 year old man whos sex drive won't be as once was. Whose hair is greying or even balding? When yur friends and there hubbys will still b active and can still fit in...

Overall.
    No age doesn't matter, NOW; maybe. But try imagining yourself being 30-35ish already and then asking yourself if age matters. Cause what i do know for a fact is no 40-50 year old man gunn b out there looking for a 55-65year old to fall in love with!!. They looking for younger. But when a person is young they look for older.. Hence, when you hit his age, whose too say you won't ask yourself the same thing.. if age matters? Only by then you'll be 95percent more inclined too look for younger as opposed too seeking an older cat during that age...

Another dilemma is you gotta b careful. Sum older foos out there just date young girls just too show them off as a trophy too there social inner circle of egotistical bros just for kicks laughs bets... etc... ie.) groupthink.. so be carefully aware not too let yur emotions time effort love kindness compassion and all else thats apart of you be neglected/mistreated and become nothing but time wasted... there are so many reasons why age should matter but the contrary also holds many reasons in why it shouldn't matter. Therefore AGE IN FACT DOES NOT MATTER

1|0
    0|0
  • You're adult. Whatever happens between consenting adults is OK.
    Just try to think about how both of you will be in 2033. And what difference in physical health and energy there will be then.

1|0
    0|0
  • I think an older guy can make a younger girl feel very very nice and most of the girls like it, as far as I know

maybe go for it, why calculate so much (or at all?) , would you like to know all the details or enjoy a nice life adventure and experience

1|0
    0|0
  • Only if it bothers you i fell in love with a girl 3 years younger then me. Another time I tried dating a women who was 42 when I was 26 we both liked each other but mutually agreed that eventually I would lose attraction when she reached 50 and then she would probably die a lot sooner then I and I'd have to live 20 years without her couldn't handle that. If that stuff doesn't bother you go for it.

1|1
    0|0
  • I met a girl at a bar myself a few weeks back. I thought that she was about 2-3 years younger than me. It ends up that she is 6 years younger. At first that scared me, I've never dated anyone younger than about a year. In all honesty 6 years is ok. She is pretty mature for her age, and over the party phase. She is also ambitious, However I'm working and she is going back to school.

1|0
    0|0
    • 6 years really isn't that much.

• @Papavera her sex drive is quite high still, and mine is always high. So I to think you're right, 6 years is actually pretty good.

• No. I know several couples where the age difference was not really much of a factor. The only thing is as they are both elderly, she gets a little annoyed that she doesn't have anyone to really talk to after seven pm and he's usually awake much earlier than she is.
    His age 75, up at 3am, asleep at 7pm
    Her age 64, up at 8 am asleep at 11pm

1|0
    0|0
  • I think it does not matter as long as both of you are showing enough maturity. A girl always look for someone mature, stable, responsible, family oriented... The fact you getting along with him means you also are mentally older than your age.

1|0
    0|0
  • That gap is... unusually large... but you are both of drinking age... and to me; that means that you have some of the same experiential overlap. The experience is what makes a relationship work, age gap or not.

1|0
    0|0
  • It matters a lot. But it doesn't mean that you can't have fun and maybe make a connections. Your tatse in food, music, clothes, finances may vary greatly. But sometimes the younger learns a lot and taste may change. usually the younger.

1|0
    0|0
  • Age is just a number. However if one was under 18 and the other was over 18 then it's a different story. I was dating a girl 5 years older than me and honestly one of the best relationships I've ever had

1|1
    0|0
  • I've been there and everything was pretty good, I was 22 and my girlfriend 34 :)

1|0
    0|0
  • Yeah it’s a big gap, but who cares- doesn’t mean it won’t develop into a strong and loving relationship ☺️

1|2
    0|0
  • No problem at all I know many happy couples who are years apart 12 years is nothing against a lifetime good luck I hope things work out for you

1|1
    0|0
  • I would say for a short term relationship its fine but not really a long term. With age come health problems

1|1
    0|0
    • The guy is not 80. He will probably not have health concerns for another 30 to 40 years.

• Who care what others think if he makes you happy go for I’m 40 my SO is 30 been together 6 years

1|0
    0|0
  • If you make it so it will matter. It depends on the people.

1|1
    0|0
  • You're both over 21 so i would say age shouldn't matter.

1|1
    0|0
  • It matters if it matters to you. Simple as that. Unless if someone's underage.

1|1
    0|0
  • my gfs 30 years older then me and we dont have any promblems been together 13 years and still fucking strong

1|0
    0|0
  • It depends on the people around you and the way you think when someone else gives you an opinion

1|0
    0|0
  • If you have to ask about it the gap is too wide

1|1
    0|0
  • I hate bars, but this makes me question not going. Hmmmmm. Nah, still not going. Age is a number. There will be differences and if you want to make it work you will. That simple.

0|0
    0|0
  • As @jacquesvol said think ahead.. when you are 35 how would he be

0|1
    0|0
  • well im 36 and i would date a 23 year old if she acted grown up if you need to chat pm me

1|0
    0|0
  • Aim for some one your age or at least 9 years apart from you so you at least have similar interests

0|0
    0|0
  • don't matter as long as there's a connection

1|0
    0|0
  • no as long as both parties are a legal age.

1|0
    0|0
  • you are both adults and I think you'll be fine

1|1
    0|0
  • i dont think so

1|1
    0|0
  • Would it if u were 35& u were 22?

1|0
    0|0
  • It does not.

1|0
    0|0
  • My former (my wife passed) Mother and father in law were 20 years apart and were married 40yrs before he passed from cancer, one of the best married couples i've seen in this world.
    Age is truly just a number...

0|0
    0|0
  • it doesn't matter

1|0
    0|0
  • Sure the age difference can be a problem sometimes, but it works for some people. More than age, what really matter is who you are and what both of you want together and maybe in life too.

1|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes