Was this a "date" or nah?

I have been into my guy friend forever. I get a lot of mixed signals from him. We generally hang out in a group of friends and if it is just us, he has never made a move.
Last week, he invited me over, which he then followed up with asking if we should invite other people. I told him whatever he wanted to do was fine with me. Once I got there he told me one person never responded and the other he just never got around to asking them if they wanted to come. He then told me that he liked this better since the others can be a little much and we could just chill.
He never tried to make a move and we just sat around playing board games (also what we usually do, since we both like obscure games). My friends have tried to say he was trying to do "date" but I dont think it was.
I have yet to be on a date where a guy sits on a completely separate couch and kinda shoves me outta the house (I tried to leave and he started talking to me, then randomly told me he was going to bed and he would see me later).

06

Most Helpful Guy

• Nope, I wouldn't count that as a date. A date has intentions, that seemed to just pan out that you two ended up alone.

• That's how I felt, but my female friends feel he was "trying" to make it just us (until his roommate got off work)