Is there a rule/guideline when dating people of a different age?

Is there a rule about how old or young the other person can be for it to be appropriate? For example, do you think it would be weird for an 18 year old to be with a 30 year old if they really connect, or is it too taboo?

0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• There's a lot of differences going on, I don't know how it could be a healthy and long term relationship. For example, careers, time management, mentality, and etc has to be considered. It'll be hard for large age gaps to be a long term relationship but idgaf as long as its 18+ it's not my problem

1|1
    0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• Since you're both adults, it's really what you're comfortable with, and different people will have differing opinions on this. I don't find a 30 year old dating an 18 year old to be a problem just because of their age- there may be other reasons they are incompatible.

1|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls & Guys Said

• I have a rule of thumb and I think it is up to everyone to figure out there own limits, but for me personally, it is up to the girl I meet to challenge that minimum age, as it has happened but not very often. For every girl that challenges and proved me wrong that too young is too young, there are a 1000 that reinforce it or make me want to raise it

0|0
    0|0
  • The traditional rule of thumb is half age plus seven. That is, the older person ought not date anyone younger than that number, provided both are adults.

So, a 30-year-old should stick to 22-year-olds or older.

It's just a rule of thumb, of course.

1|0
    0|0
  • The only guideline is that girls usually like to date older guys. It's a double edged sword in my experiences.. I suppose it depends on whether the younger girl has really thought about her future otherwise and whether the older guy is willing to accept that she will most likely change her mind later lol. Of course there are always exceptions to the rule.

1|0
    0|0
  • Look in the end as long as you're both consenting adults it doesn't really matter if there's 12 years difference, yes it may be frowned upon but if you're happy so be it

1|0
    0|0
  • I don't think so but there are a lot of predetermined and perceived thoughts and feelings you've picked up or get from others that effect how you may feel. As far any of those things removed, it's a matter of taste for which there is no dispute. Would be nice if it were really that simple. That would be in a perfect world right?

0|0
    0|0
  • Age is not an issue... the connection between each other is what matters...

1|0
    0|0
  • You are both deemed adults so do as you think is right. Everyone that would judge you can get stuffed.

0|0
    0|0
  • its not taboo at all
    stop giving eff about the world
    as long as they both are over 18 then it doest matter

0|0
    0|0
  • It is a bad look cause people would think you're in it for the money and a lot of relationships end cause of the age difference

0|0
    0|0
  • Unless they are underaged it is fine what ever the age if they love each other

0|0
    0|0
  • What do you mean by rule? You mean laws?

1|0
    0|0
    • No, like societal rules. Like to not be taboo if that makes any sense...

• Well, you shouldn't care so much about what society thinks and just do what makes you happy.

• Everyone is different there are no set riles apart from don't date someone underage

0|0
    0|0
  • Love and age has no. boundries

1|0
    0|0
  • No rules for it. Case by case.

0|0
    0|0
  • As long as you are both legal everything is fine

0|0
    0|0
  • Meh I think it's fine.

0|0
    0|0
  • Enjoy yourself until it's time to move on

0|0
    0|0
  • That is a 12 year difference, in my opinion 10 years is the max. The rule is the greater the age difference, the more money the older partner needs to have.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes