Does he want me back or is it all just a game?

I've been in love with a coworker for almost a year now. He used to act like he really likes me, and we grew very close. At some point it turned out, he likes another woman from the company. After a short period in which he seemed quite confident that "he likes me more", we hooked up. A week later he told me he didn't know what he wanted and it turned out there were two other girls with whom he had something... I was incredibly hurt, like I haven't been in years.

we kept working together, but I distanced myself a lot. At first he didn't seem to care, but afterwards he started to send me signals that he wanted to be with me. I was too hurt to let him in at the time. We didn't see each other for a few months (no one's fault), and since he's been back he's been constantly hinting how sorry he is. He found out that I am seeing someone and got obviously hurt. He kept hinting that he wants me back and that he wants me to be single to do something, but he regularly gets coffee with the coworker he used to like back in the day. I know it doesn't have to mean anything, but it stings each time, just as I thought I was getting over all that. On Friday after their coffee he came to our desks, perky and all, and he saw how hurt I was. He asked when I wanted to leave so that we can go together like we used to always do in the past, and I just said I amnot coming. He left work in the middle of the day, 30 minutes after. I know it hurts him, but it hurts me too.

I need input - I know strangers on the internet don't know what is happening in his head - but, guys, does that sound genuine to you? I haven't felt like this for 13 years. I really wish him and I could make it work, but I am so afraid 🙁

01