PEOPLE WITH STRICT PARENTS, I NEED YOUR HELP?

Okay, so I'm an Indian girl and I've been dating an African-American guy for a couple of months and it's starting to get really serious. However, I've been dating behind my parents back because I know that they will most likely never accept him because of his race (they're very strict, traditional, and protective) and want me to focus on school. I don't know what to do. Should I tell my parents about him and let them kill the both of us? What should I do?

04

Most Helpful Guy

• First, remember that as truly as you may beieve it, this guy may not always be your man, but they will ALWAYS be your parents. This in mind, it is both wise and good to respect them and honor them as such. Similarly, if you have intention to marry this man, it would be unfair to hide him from your parents, but be sure that, when you decide the time is right, that you are prepared to defend him, and your love, in a way that remains mindful of your parents. If they reject him, then the decision becomes a question of how confident you are in marrying this man.

• That's true, but I'm scared that they won't let us continue to see each other over trivial, small things. Like find excuses just so I can stop talking to him. I don't know if he wants to marry me but it seems like it based off of how's he been treating me.

• Then maybe that's where you should start. Before trying to work out how to tell your parents, it would be beneficial to first determine if he is someone worth possibly upsetting your parents over. And don't feel like this has to happen right away. Take your time, because I can tell you want to do this right :)

• Thank you.