"We can still be friends" line after break up, is it ever genuine?

The guy I was seeing used the I still want to be friends line on me and I know it's usually just a line to soften the blow of breaking up but he's still contacting me and making effort to "be friends" what do you think that means? Still has feelings? No one ever really wants to be friends it just doesn't work.

210

Most Helpful Girl

• A lot of people say that to lesson the hurt of the breakup. But it's not possible to remain friends with an ex if there's still a lot of hurt or love.

The only way two exes could stay friends is if both have moved on from the hurt , and romantic feelings had faded completely

Most Helpful Guy

• That's not true at all. I have several X girlfriends who have stayed friends after break ups. It really just comes down to how you feel about it.

• How good a friend did you stay though?

• Well some longer and better than others but like talked texted hung out all the typical friend stuff for years