Is vegetarianism a good or bad thing to you when dating, and why?

On the passed few dates I've been on, women have asked me "you're not a vegetarian, are you?" In this really condescending voice. Luckily for them; I'm not, but that got me wondering; how many people consider something like that bad, and if they do: why they think it's bad.

So, what do YOU think?
  • Yes, for me that would be a bad thing (explain)
    Vote A
  • No, That would not bother me
    Vote B
  • That would be a good thing for me (explain)
    Vote C
  • I'm a veggie predator, but I'm strangely sensitive to this issue
    Vote D
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
I'm a GirlI'm a Guy

0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• I'm vegan so I'd rather be with another person who doesn't eat meat however I don't see eating meat as a deal-breaker. My boyfriend of over a year eats meat but he's not ignorant and he puts effort into eating less meat and when we eventually live together, he'll give it up for me (unless we're eating out and he really wants it I guess). However I wouldn't be able to put up with a meat eater who can't respect me or respect facts

0|1
    0|0
    • I totally agree! But be careful about the word "fact."

• Show All
    • Fact as in proven and there's evidence, not "I saw this headline so it must be true"

• I am sure that you are only bringing up scientific research. I am just letting you know though, that even those things can be misleading.

Most Helpful Guy

• As long as she didn't complain as I sat down at dinner to my giant juicy piece of steak it could work.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls & Guys Said

• I'd consider it to be really inconvenient, because we'd always have to make two meals and it's expensive compared to making one meal for the both of us. I'm not planning on going vegan/vegetarian and I'm sure they don't want to change their diet to omnivore either. It wouldn't be a complete deal breaker, but I have to admit I would be relieved if they weren't a vegetarian.

0|0
    0|0
  • It's not a problem for me because I am an omnivore and eat a lot of vegetarian dishes. I can always eat a meat dish when going out with friends or cook it on my own. If she s also a meat eater, then we don't have an issue.

Note also that simply because both are vegetarians or meat eaters doesn't necessarily mean that they don't have very divergent culinary tastes.

0|0
    0|0
  • I'd probably rather they weren't just from a convenience point of view, but its in no way a deal breaker for me.

1|0
    0|0
  • Couldn't care less, just keep off my ass. I like steak. Live with it.

0|1
    0|0
  • I *have* to restrict my diet so it bothers me when people choose to restrict their diet for no reason

1|0
    0|0
  • I'm aspiring to be vegetarian myself, so dating a fellow vegetarian would be a plus. And being a vegetarian shows that the person is selfless, non-conformist, free-thinking, brave and determined.

1|0
    0|0
    • I'm aspiring to be a vegetarian too, for health reasons. I have always preferred veggie meals, so it was natural fit for me. I would love to find someone else who was trying to be a vegetarian! You should know that it is kind of a conformist thought though.

• Good luck with it :) it's not conformist since the world expects you to follow the norm and eat meat, and you will always have to deal with people's judgments, and their pretense of a better knowledge of everything.

• Usually the non vegetarian basically becomes vegetarian if they want it to last. Bc there is good reason to be a vegetarian but not the other way around. So I usually don't date strict vegans or vegetarians.

0|0
    0|0
  • Vegetarians don't bother me that much. They're usually quiet folks. But, wow, so many Vegans I know are very condescending types of people. They're the ones that will go on a post on FB relating to burgers or other types of meat and talk trash to everyone that eats it. They shove their lifestyle down other people's throats. Fine, live how you want to but don't bash others that don't live the Vegan lifestyle.

(yes, I know all Vegans are not like that but so many of them are)

0|0
    0|0
  • He could refrain from meat if he wants, I wouldn't hold it against him. Just as long as he wouldn't get on his soap box when either me or anyone we encounter eats meat or talks about it.

Some vegetarians are militant about their holier than thou, beliefs.

0|0
    0|0
  • I don't think its really whether your a vegetarian or not, its because a lot of vegetarians and vegans sometimes act like your a psycho murderer if you are not one, and try to force you into it.

Not all of them (I'm a pescetarian myself, which is basically a vegetarian who also eats fish) but the ones who are kinda draw the greatest light to themselves and shine that reputation on all the normal vegetarians and vegans.

1|0
    0|0
  • Okay, i won't lie... a tiny part of me gets a little disappointed when i hear a guy im interested in is vegetarian... i prefer my men to eat meat. I guess if i really liked him i could look past it but if he thinks he's better than me or tries to force me to be one too then I'll dump him.

0|0
    0|0
    • Would you feel like you needed to change in order to accommodate him?

• Show All
    • I feel like I'm asking a really clear and concise question here, and I'm not sure I understand where you're getting the idea that I'm "complicating things." Regardless of whether or not you love the guy, you said that vegetarianism would be a disappointing. Is there a reason that you would find vegetarianism a disappointment?

• I don't know how to explain it... its really weird, it just seems.. manlier when men eat meat? I don't know. But the other obvious reasons are like cooking and preparing other dishes for him and i which would just be a pain in the ass or going out and eating... and what about the kids? I would want them to eat meat... but what if he didn't? And there are some vegetarians that can be very arrogant and think they're better or will always make some stupid joke.
      Either way i could look past it if none of what i mentioned above is a problem. In the end i like men who eat meat and i would prefer them over a vegetarian

• Don't care as long as you get your peptide uptake from somewhere. If there's a dietary deficiency causing health issues, then it's a problem. Meat is concentrated with protein vital for the synthesis of amino acids. And if I want to be an omnivore, deal with it. We've been eating meat for thousands of years.

0|0
    0|0
  • I'm a vegetarian myself. Honestly, it would probably be better if my partner were vegetarian too, because then we wouldn't have to have two separate meals when they wanted meat.

0|0
    0|0
  • It wouldn't bother me, however I'd be worried about dating a vegetarian cus I'm never going to be one, I love meat too much and quite frankly don't like loads of veg.

0|0
    0|0
  • I'm a normal human who eats the entire food pyramid, I expect my date to do the same.

Interesting that more than a few girls have brought that up. Good to know.

0|0
    0|0
  • I wouldn't care because I'm vegan and if anything I'd be really happy to hear that they are trying out different diets :) or if they have to (like me) they are at least settling in with what they already know they have to do. Either way a plus for me

0|0
    0|0
  • I mean I’m vegetarian too so it would an added bonus as it’s one less person making me feel bad about them being all “oh I was... or I tried to be..”

0|0
    0|0
  • I find most people do it because it’s a fad. Especially in Melbourne. Winds me up. I know a few friends that when I asked why they are one they don’t have a reason.

0|0
    0|0
    • What about someone like, who is doing it because it alleviates his joint pain? Or would the conversation even get that far.

• Well I can’t eat as much meat as I’d like because my body rejects it so I’m all for hearing out why. And if they have a good reason then why not. It’s not a deal breaker or anything so serious

• I am shocked by how opinionated so many people are about this! I guess I never particularly cared.

• It would be a good thing for me, but for all the wrong reasons xD

0|0
    0|0
  • If she can't accept it then its not worthy dating her

0|1
    0|0
  • It's a bad thing for me if I ever have to cook for me and for that person. Preparing two different dishes is a pain in the ass.

0|0
    0|0
  • I've heard some people say it's a deal breaker, but I honestly don't think it's bad.

0|0
    0|0
  • As long as she doesn't mind that I eat meat, no, it wouldn't bother me at all.

0|0
    0|0
  • I want to eat meat. If my girls doesn't it would be a problem with cooking.

0|0
    0|0
  • I’d actually be quite impressed and it’d be motivating

0|0
    0|0
  • It wouldn't bother me, I'm semi vegetarian anyways.

0|0
    0|0
  • Bad thing, because I need meat and I'm not paying for 2 meals lol

0|0
    0|0
  • Far from being a dealbreaker

0|0
    0|0
  • I think it's a good thing

0|1
    0|0
  • Vegetarian diets are more sustainable than a meat-based diet. If someone was trying to do this to be more considerate of the planet, i'd be super impressed.

Though, if your concern was the sustainability and condition of the planet you would aim for a plant-based lifestyle. Also, coffee is the worst for our environment so that would be a top priority to cut yourself off from. Even before meat.

1|0
    0|0
  • I had a friend who's trying to be vegetarian... In the proses, if we invite him to dinner i always made him another dishes cause you know they dont eat meat. But the most annoying thing was that he wants us to be vegetarian like him... And always said that meat eaters are wrong etc etc...
    Well i would said that i won't date crazy vegetarian dude like him.

0|0
    0|0
    • Yea anyone who forces their ideals on to anyone is wrong to do so

• @SidKnee I feel like that might be what these women were getting weird about. They were worried that if I were vegetarian, I would get all preachy on them.

• Exactly :)

• do not like nor dislike vegetarians. vegans however...

0|0
    0|0
  • It would be a good thing!
    I have been vegetarian for the past 16 years. I would love to find a guy who is also vegetarian.
    In my experience those you veiw it as bad thing have only met vegetarian who try to force their lifestyle on others, guilt trip meat eaters or only eat gross odd cardboard food.

I don't try to convice others to becuse vegetarian.
    I would not want them to constantly try to convince me to eat meat. But am happy to share my veiws and facts if they want to know.
    When going out to eat I don't make a fuss or demand to go to a certain place any place with food can provided a meatless meal.

0|0
    0|0
  • Wouldn’t bother me

0|0
    0|0
  • It's not a bad thing. Shouldn't be either because it's just food. If that's one of the qualities you search for, to only date people that eat certain foods, your priorities are in the wrong place in my opinion.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes