Are romantic relationships actually worth it now a days?

I feel like dating isn’t worth it and we are better off single sometimes with the drama and anxiety that comes with being partnered🙄

• Yes
  • No

1122

Most Helpful Guy

• My biggest issue with romantic relationships today is that, due to social media, they all end up suffering from "Disney syndrome", whereby people's expectations going in are so unrealistically high that no amount of effort or joy gained in said relationship will ever meet expectations. Just like everyone wishes they had a killer body while putting in no effort, people get into relationships under the presumption that said circumstance magically fulfills all of their wants and desires, and that everything will simply work itself out. This is categorically unreasonable and no person could ever hope to achieve such a feat.

"Are romantic relationships actually worth it now a days?", this question is malformed, because it implies a simple "yes" or "no" answer. I get the logic of asking this way, because I tend to think in absolutes and this kind of question comports to that "one-size-fits-all" paradigm that seems to solve all problems at once. Unfortunately, it is neither simple nor absolute. The real question is "what kind of relationship do you want and what are you expecting, going in?" Of course, no one wants to ask THIS question, because it grates against the possibility of their perfect fantasy. We often forget that fairy tales are just that--tales. They are designed to ask uncomfortable questions of us about the human condition, but the average person would rather go through life in blissful ignorance than have to confront the painful truth: life is cruel and messy, not everything will go right--in fact, most things will go horribly wrong--but your observation of life is predicated on how you handle those situations.

TL;DR It depends; if you go in demanding the world, you will be left with nothing. Temper your expectations.

THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE

Most Helpful Girl

• I think this is a sad opinion to have and reading the comments is pretty disappointing. It's not meant to be difficult. You're meant to be with someone who is genuinely your best friend and who you get along with like a house on fire. There are plenty of people out there who are up for something wholesome and real and loving. I am one of them but at the same time I'm happy being single at the moment, dating and exploring my options. My last relationship was nothing but constant fun. We were mad about each other and could not get enough of each other. Barely went a day without being together for nearly 2 years that we were together. If you're not mad about the person you're with and are constantly competing with drama and anxiety, you're not doing it right. I would hate that too.

THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE