Are romantic relationships actually worth it now a days?

I feel like dating isn’t worth it and we are better off single sometimes with the drama and anxiety that comes with being partnered🙄

• Yes
    Vote A
  • No
    Vote B
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
I'm a GirlI'm a Guy

0|1

Most Helpful Guy

• My biggest issue with romantic relationships today is that, due to social media, they all end up suffering from "Disney syndrome", whereby people's expectations going in are so unrealistically high that no amount of effort or joy gained in said relationship will ever meet expectations. Just like everyone wishes they had a killer body while putting in no effort, people get into relationships under the presumption that said circumstance magically fulfills all of their wants and desires, and that everything will simply work itself out. This is categorically unreasonable and no person could ever hope to achieve such a feat.

"Are romantic relationships actually worth it now a days?", this question is malformed, because it implies a simple "yes" or "no" answer. I get the logic of asking this way, because I tend to think in absolutes and this kind of question comports to that "one-size-fits-all" paradigm that seems to solve all problems at once. Unfortunately, it is neither simple nor absolute. The real question is "what kind of relationship do you want and what are you expecting, going in?" Of course, no one wants to ask THIS question, because it grates against the possibility of their perfect fantasy. We often forget that fairy tales are just that--tales. They are designed to ask uncomfortable questions of us about the human condition, but the average person would rather go through life in blissful ignorance than have to confront the painful truth: life is cruel and messy, not everything will go right--in fact, most things will go horribly wrong--but your observation of life is predicated on how you handle those situations.

TL;DR It depends; if you go in demanding the world, you will be left with nothing. Temper your expectations.

0|0
    0|0
    THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE

Most Helpful Girl

• I think this is a sad opinion to have and reading the comments is pretty disappointing. It's not meant to be difficult. You're meant to be with someone who is genuinely your best friend and who you get along with like a house on fire. There are plenty of people out there who are up for something wholesome and real and loving. I am one of them but at the same time I'm happy being single at the moment, dating and exploring my options. My last relationship was nothing but constant fun. We were mad about each other and could not get enough of each other. Barely went a day without being together for nearly 2 years that we were together. If you're not mad about the person you're with and are constantly competing with drama and anxiety, you're not doing it right. I would hate that too.

2|0
    0|0
    THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 21

• To be in a romantic relationship, at least one time, fulfills you, and makes your life complete. Yeah, they're crazy, messy, and expensive, but just existing and working isn't much of a life either.

It's like riding a rollercoaster. You get in, hang on, and go wherever it takes you. It's scary and fun at the same time, but when it's over, you feel exhilarated and you can say you did it.

0|1
    0|0
  • I agree with what @jimyee said.
    Also, think temporally. Life is long. Right now you see partners as drama and anxiety. Your probable partners will also think of it the same way. But think of when you are in your thirties. People around you will have moved on, and it will mostly be you on your own. How will you deal with the solitude? Remember, your 40s, 50s, 60s... they all await you. And people keep drifting apart.

0|0
    0|0
  • I would go with 'no', mainly because it's hard to find an good relationship nowadays. But if you are able to find an good partner then it should be worth it.

1|1
    0|0
  • I think you've been with a many wrong guys. you'll know it when it comes.. the kind of a relationship that's not exhausting and makes you mad all the time. you'll find it amazing and relaxing when you have that harmony between the two of you. don't lose hope! .. wish you the best of luck!

0|0
    0|0
  • If your actually 18-24 how can you even have that opinion when you wouldn't have any experience to compare it against?

0|1
    0|0
  • More from Guys

What Girls Said 10

• The only reason relationships are filled with 'drama and anxiety' is mostly because no one has values or morals when it comes to relationships anymore. It's all about being selfish, lazy, sex crazed, and satisfaction right then or it's over. No one fights for anything anymore. No one treats their s. o. well anymore. They abuse the relationship. Relationships last longer and were more successful in the past because of good old family values and respect.

1|1
    0|0
  • They're only worth it
    if it's with someone who is worth it

4|1
    0|0
    • I just noticed your opinion after posting mine and realized how similar they are 😅

• Relationships with a lot of drama and a bad chemistry aren't worth it. But when you find the right one, its worth it for sure.

0|0
    0|0
  • It is worth it with people who are worth it.

4|1
    0|0
  • Good relationships are romantic

0|0
    0|0
  • More from Girls

Recommended myTakes