Do shy guys appreciate girls making the first move?

I like a guy at work and it's been hard to talk to him because of the usual reasons. He seems to like me too and has been receptive.

However we both seem to stay one step away and not really go past "oh yeah these printers" "hi how are you?"

I'm trying to work on being more assertive. I rehearse asking his help on a project or something random but I chicken out and I haven't been like this in a while. The only guys I asked out were via text and email.

Would he appreciate me being more assertive with trying to develop friendship or even asking him out? Help!

332

Most Helpful Guy

• Even non-shy guys appreciate a gal who makes the first move. Secret to guys - they love to be wanted. No surprise there.

That said, true story. I met my girlfriend at a reception her organization held for my boss. I had been through a very bad relationship but the instant she walked through the door I was saying, "WOW!!! I have got to meet this girl!!" So I introduced myself.

Then I sank back into my funk. I was still hurting way too much and I just could not face it if she didn't care for me. Then she started calling me for meetings, business lunches, business dinners. It slowly but surely became apparent to me that she liked me - and so I asked.

Her reply, "I'd love to. I was wondering if you were ever going to take the hint." We have now been together 12 years, living together for ten and we have three great kids together and they lived happily ever after."

Now, obviously your situation is somewhat different. He is shy and you are too, Still, don't let an opportunity slip by. It may never come again. I cannot imagine my life now if I had ignored my girlfriend.

So, go for it. If you get turned down - and it does not sound like you will - you'll get over it. Just remember, "Of all the saddest words of tongue or pen, the saddest are these, It might have been.'

Don't be wondering what might have been.

• Wow I think you just pumped me up to talk to crush. Not 100% sure he likes me though

• I like that, thanks for sharing. Very touching.

• And I've thought about asking his help on projects and talking on email, etc I thought that could help us build a rappport. But I've been second guessing myself. I'm trying.

Most Helpful Girl

• They do.
    Any guy would.

Fyi, should a relationship come of it, don't be surprised if you have to be the one to initiate a lot of things. Personally, I guess I like more aggressive men. Just not overly aggressive. And that's very hard to receive from a guy like that. They're extremely cautious and analytical of the moves they make, especially with women.

• Very true. I just dodged one of those. He wasn't assertive but when I asked him out he got angry cause I couldn't make a date he suggested. This guy seems sweet and a complete opposite.