Have you ever met someone from an online dating app that didn't look like their photo?

Have you ever met someone from an online dating app that didn't look like their photo?It has only happened to me once thankfully. How about you?
  • YES
  • No
  • They gained a lot of weight since the photos
    Vote C
  • They look much older now than in the photos
    Vote D

2034

Most Helpful Girl

• My other half I met through a dating app and yes he was gorgeous in the pictures on there of him; 1 out with mates in a club and the other 2 just taken a home... it was pouring rain the day I met him and he looked a little different in person; hair wasn't how it was in pictures and he wasn't very much like his profile pictures. After we tarted dating, he opened up and told me the story behind the pictures and his life at those points; it was obvious why he looked thinner and confident then in pictures... It's been almost 2 years now that we've been together and he looks miles different... but it's because he's healthier now and no longer has the need to impress... and as for the hair, he has me shave it right down for him every month. Give people a chance, that's all I say.

Most Helpful Guy

• I think the one thing that one sides this whole online dating thing is the fact that selfies is a skill. Not just an activity of capturing a moment. With the proper lighting, or proper angle, or proper background. The person can go from a 4 to a 7-9 ..! When you seen them in reality. You see the things they can't hide.

That's why I recommended video chating BEFORE the hang out moment.. It allows you to see more or less what you're dealing with. It can close the deal of decision if you either want to make this girl a date thing, or just shut it down immediately

Be fair.. And have an open mind, if their looks don't match, at lease have a heart to fulfill the missing pieces with their personalities. Because if you play a game based on the outside and don't know the proper rules of playing that game once you look inside. Overall the game would be a dud, and so will your love life

What Girls Said 19

• The thing with men is that they usually look better than their pictures, because for some reason men aren't capable of taking flattering pictures of themselves. But I haven't met anyone who looked significantly different.

• Oh god, that’s so true. They all like to take selfies while lying on their backs and looking up. It just gives them about 17 more chins than is strictly necessary.

• Yes, I’ve met people who were clearly using 3 year old photos or so, so they had put on weight and were younger in the original pictures, it’s obviously a bad thing that do as it’s technically conning someone.

• I've only met two people from a dating app. Both looked better irl but not significantly different.

• It happened to me once. The guy not only lied about his appearance but his age and that he was married. The profile picture was him about 15 years younger. So when I met him he had gained a lot of weight... older... and he admitted he was married. He said he was just on the dating site because he had been married for a long time and his wife didn't want to have sex anymore. Needless to say... it was very short date and I left.

• My boyfriend looked a little different than his photos when I met him for our first date, but I expected that. It wasn’t even close to the point where I felt catfished. I think that you’re bound to think whoever you’re meeting looks a bit different in real life, simply because photos rarely 100% reflect exactly what someone looks like, and we as humans tend to ”fill in the gaps” mentally.

• Well I am not as pretty in real life as in my pictures. But I'm currently video calling a guy and he believes I look beautiful in there as well, so all is well, I guess. I want to meet him after I'm done with a big exam coming up in May. I'm preparing now.

• When i met my husband he looked even better in person than in the photos he'd send me. Still looked like the same person though.

• Oh yeah, most guys don't even seen like the same person irl, like they took someone's picture to use.

• I met my boyfriend on a dating site and his profile he had blonde hair and his hair was shoulder length so after I deleted my account. Maybe like 3 or 4 months after I deleted it, I asked for a recent selfie to add to the contact profile on my phone. He looked completely different his hair was short and he had naturally red hair. I didn't care though and still thought he was cute. I was just amazed how different he was. He also looked sorta young with the long hair and I was hesitant at first. So I was glad that he now looks like someone in their 20's

• I take selfies all the time that are uncharacteristic to how I look. People try for photos.

• This is why I don't do dating apps

• Not hugely different.

• Ooooh, have I? lmao.

• I don't do online dating so no

• yes a few

• No. They all looked like their pic

• yep! this happened early last year but the guy on this site had medium brown hair, fair - tan skin, and greenish eyes (i think). when i met him in person he had blonde hair, very pale skin, and brown eyes

i never felt more stupid in my life. i mean, he was still attractive but the fact that he lied about his profile picture made me go from "sure" to "nope" real quick

• LOL YUP. omg went on a date with the wrong guy. (2 guys in the picture)
    he ended up pretty cool tho and we stayed friends hahaha

• Definitely. Met a few dudes who had to have been using pics that were 6-7 or more years old.

What Guys Said 33

• Everyone I've ever met from a dating app has used an older photo and had put on pounds. That's why if we've decided to meet, I ask to exchange selfies from within the past week. Fewer surprises that way.

• I met someone who was a really nice girl. Unfortunately she look totally different in person than she did in her photos. Had to find a way of softley letting go, I just found her very unattractive in person... its sad but you should put up as genuine pics of what you look like... saves a lot of heartbreak

• I've met about 90-100 people off dating apps now. I'd say about 50% of them looked different. Not particularly bad but sometimes I felt so cheated that I left the dates after like 10 minutes.

The big one is actually women that smile in all their pictures and then don't smile as much in person. A smile can make one look WAY different!

• I never actually met her. Her photos on her profile where hard to tell how attractive she was. We instantly hit it off and a week later she sent me a bunch of various pictures. These were clear and easy to tell she wasn't the least bit attractive.

• Yeah i went to her place to walk her dog with her and three moment she opened it i was like fuck no! She was 40kg heavier i reckon! I left 15mins later after an awkward chat.

• She sent me a pic of her out of the shower with a towel and she looked very cute. But irl she was dressed like a book girl and was kind of hippy. Totally not my style. Too bad

• Yes, too often! To those who use deceptive photos, just accept who you are already or do something to change it but don't lie, you just end up wasting yours and their time and you both get hurt in the process!

• I wanted to ask one woman "When did you take that photo? Ten years and a hundred pounds ago?" When I met my wife (match. com) I said "Wow, you look much better than your picture!"

• Yes. I have gone on multiple dates where the girl in the profile pics looked about 30 pounds lighter than the girl I met.

• Definitely. I could tell her profile pic was a professional job but I didn't expect that much difference!

• Never used a dating app. I did meet someone from Facebook who looked totally different in real tho. lol

• Dating apps... hmmm I used these apps but I never meet anyone from it because most of those people looked so weird.

• Only once, but goddamn her pictures were not accurate

• No one in online dating even notices me. I tried a good variety of sites and apps. No response.

• Yes, in that she had gained an unattractive amount of weight.

• I always video chat before so meet a new person don't trust anyone

• From ever girl I met, never got to meet any in person

• I do not understand a single thing you said

• @sheflips my mistake, I don't check my spelling. I meant all the girls I met online, I never had the chance to meet in person

• No, I don't think so (thankfully).

• 0|1
  • Yea haha x

I’m too ugly for
    That

• Lol, everyone

• Yeshhhhh

• Nope

• It's always C for me...

• my ex,, lol

• That's me.

• Never used such an app, but that's the norm. People on the internet use misleading pictures in order to fish chicks/guys.

• Yes, when it comes to dating profiles, a guy will use no photo but a girl will use a deceptive photo.

• never used dating apps, but I know people that look super model stuff in photos and it's not that they photoshop it, but the lens simply "loves" them.
    But in real life, they don't look as good as in pictures.

On the other hand there's this girl who is actually a model and in real life, you simply can't get your eyes off her. She's stunning to say the least from hair to toe. Yet in pictures she changes negatively.

I look horrible in most pictures and yet in real life girl reactions towards me demonstrate the opposite.
    Nonetheless I do have a big confidence issue because of how I look in photos. :/

• Sum cat fish. Girl had a beard

• Show more from Guys
    3