Is it your boyfriend's job to take care of you?

My mom and i got into an argument and she said my boyfriend should be taking care of me financially and meeting all my needs. I told her that he was just my boyfriend, he's not obligated to take care of me unless he married me.
  • Yes
    Vote A
  • No
    Vote B
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
I'm a GirlI'm a Guy

0|1

Most Helpful Girl

• i feel like he should help guide, offer support, and be there for you when you need him to be! but no way is he obligated to take care of you

BUT GIRL YOUZ A BOSS ASS BITCH
    nah man you take care of yourself
    the best relationships are when 2 separate individuals come together, but remain 2 separate individuals (just in harmony with one another now)

0|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 21

• It sounds like your mom might be a crazy person. Just because you are dating someone doesn’t mean they are obligated to support you. Hell, being married doesn’t even necessarily mean they are obligated to support you. Although that is typically how it works out

0|0
    0|0
  • No i don't think it's his job. Everyone has their own opinion on that though. I personally wouldn't want a girl that wanted me contingent on money... lol

Super naive opinion by your mom i m o. I mean it's fine that that's how she feels, but I don't agree with trying to make everyone feel the same.

0|0
    0|0
  • he should make sure your happy and that nothing is bothering you. but the only time he should be paying for anything is like a date or like a holiday or something. not like a damn car payment or anything like that.

0|0
    0|0
  • Even when married the financial should be discussed before hand. Girlfriend's don't warrant any financial support, wives should be able to work to pay their own bills.

0|0
    0|0
  • Women are our competitors now, so they don't need our money.

0|0
    0|0
  • Unless you live with me, I have no responsibility to take care of you financially.

0|0
    0|0
  • I do't mind actually, because I'm marrying her anyway, right?

0|0
    0|0
  • Your mothers wrong women can take care of them selves

0|0
    0|0
  • Unless you're living together and plan on getting married no

0|0
    0|0
  • No no no. You should be taking care of yourself.

1|0
    0|0
  • Wtf, why those yes?

0|0
    0|0
  • Uhh no

0|0
    0|0
  • I agree with you.

1|0
    0|0
  • Sadly, many girls do shake their boyfriends down.

0|0
    0|0
  • Your mum is stuck in the past. Times have changed

0|0
    0|0
  • I think both you and your mom are wrong.

0|0
    0|0
    • How are we both wrong when we have two different opinions?

• My boyfriend doesn't need to take care of me and even if he married me it's a team effort

• No! if he married you he definitely should take care of all your needs! .. but you should consider his money status as well! and not asking for everything!

• No lol bitch stand on yo feet

0|0
    0|0
  • It depends

0|0
    0|0
  • no you're 19 and she's your mom its still her job to take care of you unless you move out. your mom is on some other shit and sounds like you need to have a talk about her true motives for saying this

0|0
    0|0
  • yeah because relationships these days are obviously Father/daughter deals

0|0
    1|0
  • No you’re absolutely right, he can help out at times but it’s not his job

0|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 19

• I'm not gonna because I don't think he has too. If he wants to that's a different thing u guys should take care of eachother not financial but emotionally and mentally and listen to eachother. Also ur mom is stuck in the past but it's okay just tell her that u can take care of yourself and your boyfriend doesn't need to if he wants to thats different

0|0
    0|0
  • In a healthy relationship both partners take. Are of each other. you should know what his needs are and provide them and he should know yours and provide vide then. As for the financial aspects, each should take care of their own. A healthy relationship is not about a financial arrangement.

0|0
    0|0
    • Both can take care of their own financial issues, but that's not mandatory. If she doesn't work, she can clean the house, cook, take care of kids, take care of his needs, while he works to earn money. More of traditional roles. That's not worse than if both are working, just different. If that's what both want, nothing wrong if she expects financial support from him.

But that should happen when they live together, not before then.

• Show All
    • "As for the financial aspects, each should take care of their own." Can't agree with that.

• @Sucram I only mean that in the sense that a relationship should not be solely based on financial aspects.

• it is neither persons 'obligation' to take care of the other. both people in a relationship should care about each other of course, but it doesn't have the be the boy. the girl can too!

0|0
    0|0
  • I think people in a serious relationship should take care of each other equally. He’s not obliged to support you financially or fulfill your every wish, but he should be there for you as you should be there for him.

0|0
    0|0
  • Girl... you need a dose of reality.

Learn to take care of yourself, don't depend on a guy to do it for you !!!

1|1
    0|0
  • Depends on whether or not your going to meet his every need. If you expect a guy to be a traditional bread winner then he will expect you to be a traditional wife

0|0
    0|0
  • Both should take care of each other. And both should be fully capable of taking care of themselves financially and otherwise, before getting into a relationship together. It's 2018 now, women can work and have jobs just like men can.

0|1
    0|0
  • Your mum sounds like she is a traditional woman.. with traditional values. Hence her answer. I don’t think there is a right or wrong answer to this.

0|1
    0|0
  • No there job is to love you and make you feel safe and comfortable and be someone you can talk to about anything, just like that's your "job" to him

1|0
    0|0
    • Hm, interesting... I never thought about a partner to be there to make me feel safe.

• I'd say that people in relationships do have the "job" to take care of eachother, it shouldn't be one-sided.

0|0
    0|0
  • not at all unless you have a convo with your boyfriend and that is what he wants to do and it works for your relationship

0|0
    0|0
  • Financially? No. Emotionally/otherwise? Up to a point.

0|0
    0|0
  • whoever chose yes... I swear to God.

1|0
    0|0
  • No it's not

0|0
    0|0
  • No you should be standing on your own feet too.

0|0
    0|0
  • It's your job to take care of yourself.

0|0
    0|0
  • My boyfriend wants to take care of me

0|0
    0|0
  • No, he shouldn't!! he's just a boyfriend.

0|0
    0|0
  • No, not obligated

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes