Is Chivalry Dead?

943

Most Helpful Guy

What Guys Said 42

• It is not totally dead as long as I am alive! And, as an adviser to a group of young men in college, I will try to pass along to them my ideas about gentlemanly behavior.

• Chivalry's most original form yes, we aren't in Medieval Times/Dark Ages. Chivalry in a modern sense no not at all, the subtleties are looked over in what I think are now just considered common decency which in of itself sometimes most people were never taught. Blame the parents. Sure it is easy to blame feminazis & to whatever extent there could be meager legitimacy to it but I don't think it was or ever will be the core of why certain men have decided to simply quit chivalry when it doesn't work for them. Do it for nothing in return it just shows character. Women notice things like character, they chose not to tell. Most people in society are looking for the "I'll do this for you & that means you HAVE TO do this for me" attitude. No! You do it simply because you WANT to, not looking for something after opening or holding the door open, pulling out a chair, paying for the date or whatever else have you. Yes, there are a good amount of girls who have taken advantage of those & well that's because they are just shitty girls & why would any man want that? Why have some men at this particular point think that just because of a group or string of shitty girls have let them to believe that ALL women are like that. They are very wrong in thinking that ALL women must be like this. Well, my rebuttal to that is, why as a man have these men quit? Why are their self-confidence fallen, are they that weak-minded in thinking that just because you did not properly qualify & make sure the girl was indeed worth spending money on, unless money isn't an issue well just find another girl. In this age of instant gratification, there's no threshold/breaking point, these men just quit & that's what they've been psychologically taught. For me, knowing & qualifying a girl before any serious dating begins is to make sure I know where her mind is at. Where the mind is, the body will follow. I think many of the younger generation need to realize that dating is a game that needs to be learned; a game that is hardly taught correctly. Figure it out! Most of us already have. MOST men out here don't mope & wallow about the complexities of why the 1st date didn't turn out as planned. Find the mistakes, correct your game. Play on! Keep your self-confidence high, act as if there's nothing needed in return & don't let just any smiling girl take over your mind without fully knowing her intentions. There ARE great women out there who want to meet great men, as it was before, so it will be now!

• Sacrificed upon the alter of feminism. Chivalry wasn’t just a code of conduct for men, it was also a fantasy notion of gender roles. Women (ladies) were expected to be polite, demure, and submissive. Feminism has thrown that gender role out the window. To expect men to follow a fantasy code of conduct that requires a specific set of criteria from women as well, while refusing to adhere to those criteria, is childish.

• If u mean the gake, then yes.. if u mean the romantic stuff then no.. i gave a girl a rose when i was 12 and wrote her poems etc, but the bitch made fun of me and told everybody so tht whole school could laugh on me, since then I've decided to rather die as a fkn virgin, or get a hooker or whatever.. still fkn better than regretting such thing afterwards...

• Chivalry is absolutely dead. It's a knightly code of conduct. If you mean being polite, that's alive and well :)

• depends on what form you are talking about, the battle etiquette form isn't allowed anymore. otherwise it depends on what you find to be chivalry.

• Bro, chivalry's inherently corny as shit. The only reason a girl would like it is because she never has to touch a door again, lmao.
    I'm nice, don't get the wrong idea; chivalry's just so weird and pretentious.

• It's on it's way out and has been for a long time, but I wouldn't say it was dead.

To be honest it is a bit archaic. Things like holding doors open is just common courtesy, gender needn't come into it.

• Chivalry is so dead as you can’t expect a man to pay for everything when women could do it them self like say you invite a man on a date u pay or say your in a relationship he pays next time u pay and so on like that

• Not dead. It just got outdated when people realised that 'opening doors' is just another shallow ideal and had no substantial bearing on the relatiinship b/w men and women.

• I don't really care about it. Being polite just means you're a decent human being, and it doesn't really entitle you to anything.

• Chivalry and civil courtesy are two different , but similar aspects. I wonder when women will ever act the same back. They always want the toilet seat down , but never ever lift it for us guys etc...

• Among many, I'd have to say probably. Among all? not just yet.

• Chivalry in the sense if politeness and kindness towards a woman is not dead if you find the kind of man that still practices it.
    But chivalry is dying because women are wanting to be more independent and often aren't allowing men to do the things they used to.
    My ex-girlfriend used to hate that I would constantly switch which side I was walking on to be on the side with traffic and hated that I opened doors for her.
    So no.
    I personally still practice the gentlemanly aspects of "chivalry" but when girls and women don't want it guys stop practicing it.
    The kind of guy young ladies want these days isn't often the kind one that opens doors and speaks softly to her.
    It's the assertive male that pushes and let's her lead and do as she pleases while pushing his wants on to her.
    Our society has made gentlemanly gestures a commodity and one that isn't as appreciated as it should be.

• No. But only some guys do it & only for women who are into it mostly

• Chivalry-the medieval knightly system with its religious, moral, and social code. In a sense yes, but also no

• Chivalry and patriarchy walk hand in hand. We've done away with patriarchy, and chivalry went away with it. Simple.

• No, Chivalry will never die, just become rarer and rarer until history repeats itself and being a gentleman goes back in trends

• The more i think about it, the less i understand chivalry... Why does men have to be a gentleman to women, but women should not be a gentleman back?

• So, you're asking why a man should be a specific type of man to a woman but a woman need not be that same type of man...

• The word you are fatuously grasping for is "lady". A woman is never a gentleman.

• @HereIbe That's the problem xD

• More from Guys
    22

What Girls Said 9

• No I don't believe it is. I'm getting that it's all on what you allow in general. For me it was always give to me because I was willing to be just as considerate back, and any man I was with knew I was accepting anything less. I feel like it's part of the dance of dating and relationships in general.

• MY POV-Rivalry meaning in Chivalry. They are correlated. Look at the spellings and the meanings :D "romance rival chivalry" is during the monarch times for suitable courting and competition to win the Queen/ Princess's heart, yes it seems to be a lost art..

• interesting to know these Chivalry codes.
      Ten Commandments of Chivalry
      Gautier's Ten Commandments of chivalry are:

Thou shalt believe all that the Church teaches and thou shalt observe all its directions.
      Thou shalt defend the Church.
      Thou shalt respect all weaknesses, and shalt constitute thyself the defender of them.
      Thou shalt love the country in which thou wast born.
      Thou shalt not recoil before thine enemy.
      Thou shalt make war against the infidel without cessation and without mercy.
      Thou shalt perform scrupulously thy feudal duties, if they be not contrary to the laws of God.
      Thou shalt never lie, and shalt remain faithful to thy pledged word.
      Thou shalt be generous, and give largesse to everyone.
      Thou shalt be everywhere and always the champion of the Right and the Good against Injustice and Evil.

• Yep I only date ghosts and zombies now so long suckers

• No it is not! I have a guy friend who always opens the door for me and lets me through first. Even if we're just inside his house!

• Yup, feminists killed it!

• It's rare, but yes.

• beeeeen dead

• Not everywhere

• of course not, just need to go looking for it :)