How much do you trust people on dating apps?

I've been "using" dating apps for about 4 to 5 years now. I use them when I'm bored or when I want to talk to people, never purposely for dating though.

A few guys have asked me out for coffee, but I always say no because I don't trust them. I'm a very cautious person and I don't want to take any risks just in case I meet someone strange or potentially dangerous.

So what's your opinion on meeting strangers in person you met on a dating app? Do you always trust them and meet in short time, what are your experiences and just opinion in general? Am I silly for thinking this way?

0|2

Most Helpful Guy

• You are certainly not silly for wanting to be cautious... That is honestly being very smart. But, you will eventually have to bite the bullet and meet someone if you ever want to be in a relationship. Insist on meeting in a public place like a restaurant or mall. Don't have him pick you up the first time you meet... Meet him somewhere. And, most importantly, don't be afraid to say that you don't feel comfortable or didn't feel a connection. The real trouble starts when you lead a guy on because you were too scared to say that you didn't like him. The longer he thinks that you like him... the more difficult and scary the breakup will be.

0|0
    0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• I used to be like you. Went on those app, got compliments, a good ego boost and never had the gutts to go meet them.

But recently I've been saying yes to going in dates with a few of them! And it's great :) it is nerve racking!

If you always meet them in public and before night time, there is very little chance of danger. The worst that happens is you guys really don't hit it off in person and the date cuts short. But it's a great experience nonetheless.
    I also make sure to tell at least one of my friends the exact place and hour when I go meet someone. And I also make a friend call me about 30 minutes into the date so I can easily have an exit (by like saying my mom is suddenly in the hospital and I have to go now!).

In my opinion, there is little danger. I also think you are missing out on wonderful experiences and who knows... maybe even missing out on some awesome dude who would rock your world!

0|0
    0|0
    • I don't meet in short times though. If the guy asks me out after barely 5 minutes, it's always a no.
      I have to get a good vibe from them and that usually takes 3 to 7 days depending on our talking frequency.
      I ask them out sometimes to! Guys love it also :)

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 28

• People like you is the reason I don't trust dating apps. You use it to waste time or go on it when bored? Meaning you just lead people on and don't have any intentions of meeting. If you don't trust people on it then don't bother using it. You are just wasting peoples time that actually want to meet somone.

1|1
    0|0
  • By now I met a lot of people online and also some of them in real life and can't say anything bad about it. Sure there are always bad people but that's not a reason to don't meet anybody from the internet. I met my SO in the internet and my mother met her husband in the internet too. They are happy together for nearly 10 years now. I don't trust them more or less than anybody in the real life.

0|1
    0|0
  • Enough to put my penis in them.
    But seriously, it is super annoying how many girls you come across on those things who pretend to be interested in dating, but really only are bored or want attention and will just waste your time.

0|2
    0|0
  • I do not Trust these People There too so i Just dont use them and meet people from real Life in real Life.
    by the way If people are really using a Dating App (at least where i live) they have to do that because they won't find a Partner in a normal way.
    So stay careful when using it!

0|0
    0|0
  • I think the best way to know a stranger is in person.
    It's always good to get to know them first on the Internet. Then you can find an appropriate place to meet.
    Unfortunately, it's not only the Internet you can't trust people but everywhere. Always make sure you're making the right choice and don't take unnecessarily risks. My personal opinion, sometimes you need to take some small risk to find out more about someone.

0|0
    0|0
  • Sounds like you're are too afraid to live. You shouldn't trust strangers, but it shouldn't stop you from living life. A date should be a calculated risk. Meet in well lit and public areas. Think of an improv weapon and ways of escaping if things go poorly. My girlfriend keep a knife, pepper spray and whistle on her on our 1st date. I had a wooden sword in the back of my car

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes you are its very hard to trust to those people who is strangers. There are many people who is fake and just for fun they do bad thing but there are also many people who takes relationship seriously. I suggest you go and date to honest people only not fake.

0|0
    0|0
  • I really trust no one online. I don't just hand trust over to anyone. Trust takes time to build. Takes long time to build up and only seconds lose. Too many people use the net as their fantasy life.

0|0
    0|0
  • I do not trust any women easily now.. whether in real or virtual

0|0
    0|0
  • I'm cautious at meeting people from dating apps you just never know what type of person that is on them dating apps. So i agree with you on that one.

1|0
    0|0
  • Try going on a group date a couple times, before you go for something more intimate.

0|0
    0|1
  • I don't trust them barely at all.

Also, you've been on a dating app since you were 15? Why?

0|0
    0|0
  • No you aren't daft for not trusting, I use them now and again to meet guys and its been ok to be honest

0|0
    0|0
  • My story: Used dating apps for 5 years. Never had success until I got to college and then like poof I guess I became good looking and a fairly overwhelming amount of matches. I didn't know what to do with them so I never really contacted anyone because I was overwhelmed with choices. Of all those matches and in my 5 years I only met 1 girl who became my first girlfriend because I don't do hookups. 1st problem I was scared to meet her cause like you said they could be a looney. 2nd problem I know I'm a good/sane guy and all but she didn't and she got in my car to go on a first date! If I was a girl there is no chance in hell I would've suggested or even done that! Like stranger danger right? 3rd problem everyone on a dating app is still searching for someone better and that really hurt me because I felt like an object to her that she could toss anytime (which she did). My tips, voice verify, try to google search your date, and try not to be an ass and keep searching for someone new.

0|0
    0|0
  • See them on FaceTime or Skype before meeting for crying out loud

0|1
    0|0
  • It's OK if you meet in a public place the first time

0|1
    0|0
  • Hi i use some dating apps and i always ask girls to meet them personally for a coffee or whatever and usually i do that during the first 5minutes.
    And yes i think you're silly for thinking that is dangerous because that guy can really do nothing bad to you in a crowded place like a bar in the city center in the afternoon.
    If i were a bad person i would create a fake account and chat with you to get any useful personal info and trust me as soon as i get it i would be able to find anything you shared on Facebook, LinkedIn, Instagram or whatever in zero time, having access to pretty much everything you do in your life.
    I would find a way to blackmail you anonymously even months after the conversations not to be suspected and you wouldn't have even a far idea of who i am.
    People underestimate internet.

0|0
    0|0
    • Well that escalated quickly

• There is no escalation, dating apps are used by a lot of people like that, and i've just answered you with my opinion, in the clearest and shortest way i could.

• No I understand what you mean and thank you for your answer, I'm familiar how this things work.
      I'm just afraid that people would use and/or manipulate me.

• I donโ€™t know. No one on any place Iโ€™ve tried has ever noticed me, even if I send a message.

0|0
    0|0
  • I don't, that's why I rather the old school method, it never fails.

0|0
    0|0
  • I don't know... Had tinder for 2 months and never got a match... ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜

0|0
    0|0
  • Usually hardly at all... but after a while chatting it's alright

0|0
    0|0
  • If you meet them, meet in public. You need to put your safety first.

0|0
    0|0
  • So you use them as chatrooms?

0|0
    0|0
  • Women lie a lot.

0|0
    0|0
  • Dating apps are a waste of time

0|0
    0|0
  • Not at all

0|0
    0|0
  • Not much, only if we know longer

0|0
    0|0
  • never again
    nope no nuuuooooo nuh-uh no no no mmm-mmm no no HELL NO!

0|0
    0|1

What Girls Said 6

• Iโ€™ve been dating a man I met on match for 3 months now. Turned out awesome for me! Always be cautious but maybe talk to them first and donโ€™t get your hopes set one way or the other. I just went for it. He picked me up and everything. Perfect gentleman. Not really sure why he was on match but his profile is completely gone now. ๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ˜Š

0|0
    0|0
  • I wouldn't trust them too, after all i have experienced on Internet, I don't need more surprises irl too

0|0
    0|0
  • If they are on an app and you find out that they go to your college... they are at LEAST educated and you should feel more comfortable with them! =)

0|0
    0|0
  • I have been more trusting then most. Have met a lot of people off there. Mostly around people but sometimes at mine or there house.

My sons dad I met online as well as my ex of 3 years... including my current partner.

You can meet someone in the street and no then even less then you no someone online. So trust is a hard one to figure out.

You have to be careful... I agree but getting to no one another online first. Then phone calls. Maybe even video calls. To meeting in a busy place , cafe, restaurant, shpppivg centre can take the edge of you. Feeling uncomfortable.

0|1
    0|0
  • I dont think you are silly. Listen to yourself.

0|0
    0|0
  • I think it depends on the person. I mean I met a few exs off dating sites. And my current boyfriend who I've been with for 3 years. But always talk for a while first to get a feel about them. As it's the same as meeting a guy at a bar etc. Anyone could say anything or be anything

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes