Is it normal to get extremely jealous if my boyfriend mentions an ex?

523

Most Helpful Guy

• An ex of mine used to question me about my exes out of nowhere, then when I answered her she'd get really jealous lol smh
    Like tf? You ASKED. I never brought them up otherwise though, mainly cause they weren't on my mind. But if a thought about them passed through I didn't voice it because it has no place in my new relationship.
    You have memories and life experiences, they may come back to you now and then randomly, but you don't need to bring the past into your present. Just let the thought pass through and move on.

If he's talking about them too much then you have every right to feel jealous.

• I use to have that exact same bad habit with whoever I dated and was really in to. Then I out of the blew realized how stupid that was and I was basically forcing the guy to hurt my feelings and make me jealous., I was torturing myself with questions of answers that were none of my business and obviously were in the past. Looking back, I can't help but laugh a little on how insane the whole thing was that I put myself in all the time lol.

• I think its natural, when you are really into someone those questions will come. And part of you hopes the answer will basically be that you're the only one in your SO's romantic life ever, so you don't have to share them at all, even if its just in memory. Its pretty possessive and crazy, but its actually a relatively normal impulse to have I'd say. Its probably not so easy to let go of it, but recognising it for what it is does help to "let go".

Most Helpful Girl

• In the beginning of a new relationship, you're both going to have baggage to talk about, and bad experiences can effect people for awhile. The longer you're together, the less exs will come up.