Do you believe in soul mates?

• Yes
  • No

98127

Most Helpful Guy

• The answers that you receive are meaningless unless you define what you mean by "soulmates."

Most Helpful Girl

What Guys Said 126

• You have to be clear on what you mean by soulmates.
    Are people born for each other, and destined to be together from the moment they set eyes on each other? Probably not.
    We have this picture in our heads of our perfect prince-charming fantasy, but it never happens like we dream it too.
    In the movies, they say things like "you are my destiny" (or in George McFly's case, "you are my density"), but in the movies they talk about following your destiny, and choosing to follow their destiny (which is contradictory because one cannot choose something that is pre-destined to happen), but most people believe in some form of free will.
    The way I see it, our lives are a mixture if variables we can't control and ones we can. There might be a girl in Okinawa that is perfect for me, but living in America I will probably never meet her and that's just too bad.
    And, another important point, is that people change over time. I'm not the same person I was 5 years ago, and 5 years from now I will likely be a different person. Nobody starts out perfect; we are unlikely to find someone who is automatically the person of our dreams.
    A couple grows into each other as long as they spend time together. They change and they change each other.
    All of that being said, I don't think people are born soulmates, I think that people BECOME soulmates.

• I believe 2 souls can be compatible for each other, but relationships still require a lot of work from both partners. So, the answer is no, having a soul mate isn't enough to matter when it comes to keeping a relationship with another person.

• I believe in a soul mate, only in the sense, that everyone has people who can be extremely good matches for them in a relationship. And the relationship tends to go better, if they are pared with one of these people. I don not believe there is just one soul mate for each of us.

• I used u believe that but i have some other thoughts now...
    Like there are always going to be ups and downs , no matter who you have or not... you just havw to choose someone who will face you with them... and there are a lot of people with same personality... so it's not about one , but the one of my type!

• No, thats too depressing of a thought...
    Just thinking about the possibility, there there is only one person on this planet, that I am supposed to spend my life with, is dragging me down.

What are the chances to find this person? 1:8000.000.000 ? Sounds horrifying.

• Who ever you think your soul mate is , there is someone out there with the exact same qualitiies and more out there.

• I found her. I feel her pains. She understands me better than most. We love each other more than we know and though we try to coexist apart from each other we can't help but rely on each other as we go forward in our daily lives. I love her so much.

• Total bullshit that only hurts our potencial to fix relationships. You go the easiest way: thinking, oh it didn't work out because it wasn't meant to be. Its never, NEVER meant to be, you both have to work and make It happen. If you dont, the other will, and will get tired, and it will end in tears.

• I do but I also believe soul mates don't only apply to the romantic "one." Rather, I believe it is everyone you have seen or met in your life, even if it was only for a brief second. I was taught everyone in your life experience is a part of your soul family a. ka. soulmates. The difference is that doesn't mean you love them all like that special person.

• No, I don't. Do you know how difficult it is to impress women these days?

Nigh-impossible.

And even if you do get married, there's a 50% chance it will be a divorce.

• I've been single too long. That I no longer care for one. If I have one. She is making a wasted trip. When she decides to get off her lazy butt to come find me.

• Lmao agreed... I always cuss at this so called 'soul mate' cuz they are taking their sweet ass time 🙄

• Ordinarily I am a bit of a cynic and would answer NO. However, I met my soul mate. I woke up with her this morning. She is the mother of my children. She is the person who makes me feel loved and respected, who cares for me.

She is the one who, when I get on my high horse about something - as I often do - just rolls her eyes, smiles and kisses me on the cheek. She never ever says an unkind word about me.

She is the one who knows when I am sad or scared and will not say a word but just holds my hand or gives me a hug. She just knows me and does not have to ask.

Believe me, I could go on and on, but I'll always wonder what I did right to get her in my life. To be loved so unconditionally, I am luckier than I have any right to expect.

Yup, there is such a thing as a soul mate - and I wake up next to mine every morning.

• People are made of too many individual details. A 'perfect' match looks in-achievable to me. I would not even want it. The differences towards my partner spice up a relationship.
    There should be a common base-line, though.

• I did at one time believe they existed. Until my "soulmate" ended a 19 year marriage BY TEXT so she could enjoy the company of her sugar daddy. Concepts like soul mates are for blurry eyed idealists, dreamers, and sixth grade school girls.

• Love mythology humans were created really powerful so strong that the god feared the power so he split them and half dooming them to wonder feeling empty until you find your other half then who knows maybe we leave this god forsaken planet and go to a new world or a new dimension its fun to think about it like that gives my life meaning

• Fuck no, there's to many people who die alone, never find anyone, get divorce, ex... so what happens when someone dies, the soul goes back in the lottery bucket?
    The idea is ridiculous.

• With over 7 billion people on the planet, you believe there is only one person for you? Let’s ask a divorced person their opinion on soul mates and see what they say? Chances are they found someone new

• No.

If they do exist mine either died a while ago or they are stuck in a ditch on the exact opposite end of the planet.

• In a way I hope there is and I also hope there isn't in the fear of them passing me by without knowing that without them I'll always be incomplete with anyone else

• I would like to but every soul mate that I felt was mine wasn't I guess it was because I built it up to much in my mind until it was impossible for anyone to live up to!😍

• I love the comments the women have down below. "I hope he finds me and I don't have to do any work." Care to guess why they're all in their upper 20s and 30s AND single? What a joke!

• yes. but i don't think soul mates have to be romantic mates either. i also think you can have multiple "soul" mates in your life at one time.

• In previous generations, yes. Today? No. Because people aren't judged on substantive character anymore.

• I thought i foundher she was giving signs smiling everything, then i sent her a message and now we dont even look at eachother
    she ignored me

i lost faith in "soulmates"

• I do, thought I did found her. Had so much in common, so much uncommon. We really enjoyed it companies, companionship etc.. but just it didn't work out in the end

• Nope. Soul mates would be someone who's destined to be with you, right? That goes onto whether you believe in fate or not, but I personally don't believe that soul mates exist. There are obviously people who are better suited for you, maybe even the best person for you on the planet. However, that person may or may not even get to meet you during his/her lifetime. You're not destined to be with anyone, and feelings change over time. One day, the person that you thought was your soulmate may be just another ex for you.

• i believe that love comes and goes. you’ll never love someone the same way that’s pictured in your mind, so “soulmates” is a total myth.

• Not really (or at least I haven't met one yet to disprove my skepticism).

• Yeah I guess. I just think there is someone out there for everyone if you don't close yourself off and stick to whoever makes you happy. I think that's what a soul mate is

• Yes. I think of all people as part of a connected social syatem, that has been there ever since we came off the trees.

There ia no such thing as a soul inside a corporeal body. However there is something geater than the individual within the connection between peoole.

I think it might be impossibly hard to find your soul mate in the world as it is today because it's very hard to get past the hollywood (-esqe) scenarios we keep in our heads about what our soul mate should look like etc. But I cannot say that it is not possible.

I wish everyone to be lucky enough to find their soul mate in this life.

• More from Guys
    96

What Girls Said 97

• You know what, this is the most uplifitng question and poll answers ever. GaG kind of seems depressing sometimes, so I expected everyone to say no to soulmates but nooo, look at chu people, so cute and cheesy. You Yes voters are my soulmate.

• I’ve always been a firm believer in soul mates. I wanted to know if anyone else shared my view. I didn’t expect this post to get popular, though. Aha!

• yeh, im not in that train

• It's really nice to see these kind of posts 😁

• Tbh I was looking through the comments and I saw a lot of people hating on the belief in soulmates. I believe that soulmates exist, but its not always in a romantic way, nor does it mean that if things didn't work out in a relationship that that person is not "the one". Its like something that gives you aslight push in the right direction towards your soulmate and if you work hard enough you'll know that the bond is there.

• Absolutely! I've dated at least 5 guys who were so close that it hurt. It was like getting too close to the sun and being so very in tune and everything just feeling perfect adn right. If I can find people that in tune with everything that I am, then I can guarantee there's someone out there that's one step closer and the full deal.

• 100% most definitely. People who grow together in a relationship till they are like in their 80's, 90's, 100's.. those are definitely soul mates. Even people who's been together for more than 10 years

• My boyfriend and I have only been dating for a little while. He was my best friend months before we started dating. When I met him, I just KNEW there was something special about him. There was a sense of familiarity. So, I truly believe he’s my soulmate. He said he believes I’m his too.

• I read that according to Greek mythology, humans were born with two heads, four arms and four legs. Fearing their power, Zeus split them into two separate beings, condemning them to spend their lives in search of their other halves. The part that’s been missing all this time. I think in essence that’s what I believe a soulmate to be. The missing part of you. I believe it’s entirely possible to feel that connection with someone...

• This is my all time favorite legend!!! I do believe in soulmates yes!!

The men were children of the sun, the women were children of the earth and the Androgynous were children of the moon, which was born of the sun and earth. It is said that humans had great strength at the time and threatened to conquer the gods. The gods were then faced with the prospect of destroying the humans with lightning as they had done with the Titans but then they would lose the tributes given to the gods by humans. Zeus developed a creative solution by splitting humans in half as punishment for humanity's pride and doubling the number of humans who would give tribute to the gods. These split humans were in utter misery to the point where they would not eat and would perish so Apollo had sewn them up and reconstituted their bodies with the navel being the only remnant harkening back to their original form. Each human would then only have one set of genitalia and would forever long for his/her other half; the other half of his/her soul. It is said that when the two find each other, there is an unspoken understanding of one another, that they feel unified and would lie with each other in unity and would know no greater joy than that.

• I voted yes, but let me clarify I didn’t believe in soulmates until I met mine. We knew it right away, everyone around us knew it, we got married a year after we started dating. We wish we could have been together earlier in our lives, but I’m 7 years older, and we were both previously married. The timing would never have been right for us.

• I never believed in it too much, other than that I believed a (very very) small fraction of people were meant to be together.

Since I met my current boyfriend though, I do believe that there are some people out there who will meet and just know that they want to have a life together. But I don't think it works like that for everyone, and that's fine.

• Yes, but I believe we have multiple soul mates as our life forms us to who we are today. So you might not crush on a girl but still have a girl as one of your soul mates oromething might have happened that made u scared for really short guys so your short guy soul mate is no longer an option.

• Not exactly. I don't believe that we a destined to find "the one". Love isn't about finding the perfect someone to be your soul mate, but more so it's learning to love an imperfect person perfectly where your souls become one.

• I think some people have soul mates because they are more vulnerable and need a certain type of relationship.

Others have soul mates because they worked very hard in their lives and deserve somebody who can make them very happy.

Other people are free to marry or stay single and its not good or bad either way.

• There's neither a clear definition of what a soul is, nor what a soul mate is. I don't believe in a soul as some supernatural entity. But I have my own definition of soul mates that I believe to exist for me. But I don't believe a soul mate is only one person during my life time. It can be several people throughout my life.

• I believe in soul mates, but I believe that each person has more than one. I think people need different things at different times and that is why certain people come and go in your life. They may break your heart or help heal it, but there is a reason for it.

• Yes, but at the same time, I believe it's not that black and white. There are many people our souls connect with, so it's not just that one and only. Sometimes we pass each other by but somebody else may pop up instead. Most of the time, soul mates come in phases. They come and go like any other friends, they don't necessarily stay forever. Only the ones which you share commitment and values with are there to stay.

• Yes, but I don't think we only have one. I think there are multiple people out there who we could stumble upon and feel like we're soul mates with and I also think you can have soul mates who aren't romantic.

• I believe that some people just click, and that can that type of connection only happens a few times in a life.
    I have had 2 great loves, one of course being my first love and the second, the man I almost married.
    Others have come in and left, but I always look back fondly on the people who I feel connected with me in a special way.

• May be, doesn't really matter in my case...
    Today I asked my mom if I can date when I get older like 26 something and she said no what's the use? We will already be looking for a man for you...

I said but may be I can marry the guy I like and she said why do that? 😭

• I believe in so many kinds of soulmates too. True love soulmate of course, best friend soulmate, dog soulmate?, job soulmate?, religious soulmate?, i think that one person could be all of those (except the dog one lol but i just think that bc im pretty sure my dog is my one of my best friends and im pretty sure she understands me in a way no human can at this point in my life... she's real fun too haha). I think that's why others say that love isn't always enough, i think it's because just one kind of soulmate isn't good enough, i think they have to be your full soulmate in order for love to be enough, which is possible in my beliefs. My love is also my best friend and i think he's my soulmate but I don't know if he's my soulmate in everything and that's okay. Plus maybe soulmates can adapt and grow with each other? Honestly i don't know but thats fun to think about <3 thank you

• No, I don't. I believe that there are some relationships that work better than others and some people more suited to each other than others but I don't believe there's like one perfect person for everyone

• As I scroll down answers, I feel that no one really has any a decent answer, then I see yours and my faith in humanity is restored. Took the words outta my mouth. 💯

• @Ayer93 Thanks! :)

• I believe everything happens for a reason and that one is presented with obstacles that are fitting for them. Soul mates though... maybe. If everything happens for a reason and meeting ‘the one’ is considered one of these things then yes soul mates do exist and one can assume that everyone has one.

• to a degree, yeah. i think that most are cynical about the shit but honestly i've always tried to be realistic- and yeah it's hard to find, but it is possible to find that person. well that's what i believe, at least- always been pretty old fashioned about love but i don't see anything wrong with that

• You won't find him, do the math... 🙄

• @grimtigress you're a typical millennial expecting me to believe your life is perfect through observations in social media. It's all lies... but I'm insecure. Sure, why not since we're lying already anyway, your life IS perfect.

• @Gladman85 you sound like a sad man lol. i don't give a shit what you think of me or my life, don't flatter yourself. also champ, that shit was a well educated guess based off your feeling the need to respond to a random ass comment with an unnecessary and petty ass assumption. life isn't perfect? no shit that's doesn't take much wisdom to know, but that's no reason i have to be a contemptuous fuck about it. but yeah, though not perfect, my life is pretty good and i'm happy with it. which seems to be more than you can say. good job putting the millennial kids in their place myanimelist.cdn-dena.com/.../...5e8d81364963c.jpeg

• If you're talking about romantic soulmates, I don't know. I think there are a lot of people that someone can click with and not always just one person. But some people certainly seem like they were just meant to be.
    I consider some of my closest friends my soulmates in a sense as our connection feels soul deep, and we could tell each other anything and love each other deeply.

• It's awful limiting I think. And it's not like there's only one person in the whole world who will ever be deeply significant to you.

Do like soulmate identifying mark AU fanfictions though. I'm the biggest idiot "well WILL they get together?"

• I do believe in soul mates not necessarily in a romantic way though. For me a soul mate is someone that is there for you through thick and thin, you have good times and bad but there is always a connection that keeps you both together no matter what

• Yes. But I also believe you can have a beautiful life with someone you love, respect, trust, have a friendship, romance and laugh with. The happily ever after isn’t always about finding the “soul mate”, but with the person that will be with you through the ups and downs, hold your hand and laugh along the way.

• Yeah but I believe we all have more than one soulmate. Also I believe in today's world it's very hard to find or it's never the right time with that person.

• When I was your age I believed in it. Then came failed relationships and I stopped believing. And then my boyfriend happened... and now I am sure that soulmates exist. :-)

• I want to vote yes and no... Because I used to believe in them... but now I'm a cynic

• Yes I met mine. But it doesn't necessarily mean you will romantically live forever with them. We dated to 2 years and he WAS my soul mate but things didn't work out. But when I talk to him it's like he's me in a man version

• No. It’s a cop out.

People use the idea of soulmates to rationalize never having to put any effort into a relationship. If things aren’t perfect all of the time, they go “well I guess that you’re just not The One™ so I’m gonna peace out now k thanks byeeeeeee.”

It’s asinine.

Even the most compatible of couples will face problems - BUT THAT DOESN’T MEAN THAT THEY AREN’T COMPATIBLE. There’s a certain level of stick-to-it-iveness which is frankly lacking in the majority of (young) people who cling to the idea of there being One Perfect Person™ out there for them.

• More from Girls
    67