Can someone’s name increase or decrease their attractiveness?

• Yes
    Vote A
  • No
    Vote B
  • Unsure
    Vote C
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
I'm a GirlI'm a Guy

0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• Yes, to an extent. If a person is named "Hitler" or "Stalin" for example, it would be very unattractive in my opinion because it would remind me of ideologies I'm strongly disagreeing with. (Nazism and fascism). I would also find names with other nasty meanings a bit bad sounding too. If someone's name was "Buse", "Busemann" or "Baesh" for example, that wouldn't be a good thing either. "Buse" and "Busemann" literally means "mucus" or "nose slime" in Norwegian, while "Baesh" or "Bæsj" means "poop". Norwegian is my native language.

But I'm fine with most names and do usually feel indifferent about them. There's names I don't like that wouldn't necessary decrease the attractiveness of a person if the person had other good qualities. I don't like old-fashioned names like "Olga", "Helga", "Helge", "Borghild", "Ingeborg" etc. I don't like names like "Aisha", "Muhammad", Abdullah" etc. either. But I would be okay with it.

1|0
    0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• I don't call people by their name, so it makes no difference to me.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 27

• A name can sometimes matter.

For example, for someone named "Leshaniqua" I am neither going to follow up to see if I want to date her or even consider her for a position I am hiring for.

Since IQ is highly inheritable, such a name tells me her mother is stupid, so she is probably stupid too. If she were not stupid, she would have changed her name upon reaching the legal age to do so.

1|1
    1|0
  • FOR ME - If you're hot, and you're name's Cayla, then fine. If you're hot, and your name's Kayla, you're super hot. I love K's. For instance, Krystal is hotter than Crystal. Kristen is hotter than Christen. Even Erika is hotter than Erica. And Mikaela is way hotter than Micaela. So yes, names can increase or decrease attractiveness. Want to meet a friend of mine - Edna?

2|0
    1|1
  • Maybe for a first impression. As you get to know them and you really like what you see, the name won't really matter. I never thought the name "Michelle", was "sexy/ hot"... When I met and fell in love with a girl named "Michelle", her name really didn't matter at all.

2|0
    0|0
  • Yes, definitely.
    We associate names with behaviour of people with the same name we already encountered in our life. Certain behaviour is attractive/unattractive, so we have attraction based on names.
    It's mostly subconsciously.

1|0
    0|0
  • I dated someone who had the same name as my sister.. it was weird and I didn't like it, even though that's kinda silly.

2|1
    0|0
  • i think so, a little bit.
    my name was slated to be Karl but at the last second my parents decided on Evan apparently. And thank god. i just dont feel like a damn Karl

2|0
    0|0
  • Some names are just more flattering than others.

Helga, Peggy, Edna, Edith, Delores, Gertrude, Fern. These are not attractive names for girls.

2|0
    0|0
  • Well if you have the same name of my mother I will be unsure sbout you.

2|0
    0|0
  • If someone has the same name as a friend or family member even if the spelling is different it feels super weird

1|0
    0|0
  • Yes... the name mohammed isn't exactly going to do good right now is it? regardless of how much u are attracted to the guy.

1|0
    0|0
  • If you're shallow enough, anything can put you off.

2|0
    0|0
  • yep

personality shift is possible but rare

its done by tricksters, very difficult too (as per me)

0|0
    0|0
  • Lol you need to reword the question. You don't know if they are saying yes to the increase or decrease! I don't think name's matter in my opinion.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes.
    Names tend to go with certain class levels here in the UK.

0|0
    0|0
  • If I guy was named mike I would fall in love with him on an instant

0|0
    0|0
  • some names unfortunately put me off... :D :(

2|0
    0|0
  • No. That's why we invented nick names

1|0
    0|0
  • well it seems like it can

0|0
    0|0
  • Yeah definitely

0|0
    0|0
  • nope

0|0
    0|1
  • Yeah, I once knew a chick name Ivana Humpalot

0|0
    0|0
  • I don't care about the name

0|0
    0|0
  • A name does not change how you look.

0|0
    0|0
  • if a girl has the same name as one of my three sisters , yes it is a turn off for me haha.

2|1
    0|0
  • Ofcourse it can! I'm not going to hang out with someone named Moe Lester or Richard Head... actually, I might just do it, so I can laugh at them

2|0
    0|0
  • Not really

1|0
    0|0
  • My name is Dick.

0|0
    0|1

What Girls Said 11

• Some names are unattractive and outright awful , but a person's name doesn't determine their attractivenesses. I am not turned off a person just because i dislike their name

0|0
    0|0
  • I don't really think a name can decrease attractiveness to someone for me. But if its hard to pronounce then I might feel a little uncomfortable about it.

0|0
    0|0
  • If i dated someone with the same name as my dad or brother it'll kinda feel werid to me, its just an opinion

1|0
    0|0
  • It sure can i love the names of my crushes, like Alex, Samuel, and Manny.

0|0
    0|0
  • It really can.

0|0
    0|0
  • It can, yes.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yea I think it can

0|0
    0|0
  • Weirdly yeah.