I'm not into hookup culture. Why do I get so much hate for it?

So I'm a 19 year old guy who'll be turning 20 in May. I've never had a girlfriend and I'm still a virgin. I personally never plan on having casual sex of any kind (hooking up, FWBs, etc) for my own personal reasons. I've made a couple posts on here, briefly mentioning it and I've gotten some negative responses for it. Why do people care so much with what I choose to do with my own body? I'm fully open to having a girlfriend, but the casual sex just isn't for me. Let me know what you think.

0|0

Most Helpful Girls

• You're completely free to do what you like with your own body. I agree. And they have no right to criticise you for that. And if they had that right, then you would also have had the right to to criticise them about them not liking how you wanna live your life. Which means everyone should be the same, right?
    Not sure if that makes sense but I think a lot of people should shut the fuck up and stop nosing into other people's lives. No one should tell no one how to live their life.

1|2
    0|0
    THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE
    • Well everyone is subject to someone's opinion. We all have the right to voice our opinion.

• Show All
    • @potatoisme Just ignore him. He's an idiot.

• @idsjdsjds Are you upset? You sound angry.

• I completely agree with you. I’m not into hook up culture either. I would never judge anyone who is but it just isn’t my cup of tea. Ignore the people who give you hate for it. It is your body to do what you want with, it’s no one else’s business.

0|3
    0|0
    • Well let me ask you this.. do you have a boyfriend?

• Show All
    • Lol how petty is that 😂😂😂 he’s unbelievable, talk about being butthurt 😂

• Can you please pm me? I noticed you were a moderator and seem very nice. I really need some help.

Most Helpful Guys

• I'm gonna let you in on a secret: Hook up culture doesn't really exist. People are so scared of getting hurt that very few people are actually doing any hooking up at all. It's just popular to act like you're into it. I've had casual sex, honestly, it was some shitty sex.

0|1
    0|0
  • I've received hate for clearly stating my disgust for hookups and the like. All I did was state my opinion and how disgusted I get. They take it the wrong way, get offended and the next thing you know a moderator removes your post. GAG doesn't like opinions that offend people, even if a tiny amount. Sure, I believe they should moderate some questions and answers, but for what they did, I wouldn't put faith in GAG. Maybe the moderator got offended too and had a bias?

0|2
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 12

• For a lot of people they’ve been told for much of their sexual development ( puberty) how only ‘losers’ can’t get sex from someone. Get laid is such an interesting term to me. As if sex wasn’t something two people did together but one would take from another person. But that’s a whole other thing. For you obviously just do your thing. Don’t let others who for some weird reason are still talking like they’re in high school trying not to be a social pariah. Most don’t care what you do so long as you don’t act better than them. Some people feel like casual sex is a right of passage or they just like it in general. Others treat sex and sharing their bodies with a bit more concern and care. No one is wrong so long as we are happy with our own choices. My own fiancé was a virgin. He didn’t want to just sleep with anyone he didn’t see a future with. That was his own lines. I personally only had sex when in committed relationships and believed we were in love. Do you and you’ll be fine at the end of the day you are the only one who needs to accept what you want.

1|2
    0|0
  • Internet is full of repressed angry people. Honestly it depends how you word your opinion. If you're really careless about your answer, most people will attack you on technicalities about your opinion, rather than your right to an opinion (which is pretty universal).

0|0
    0|0
  • the less you care the better you'll feel :) don't give in to peer pressure

0|3
    0|0
  • Don't listen to people.. I think this is actually sweet.. A lot of girls would lovr a guy like you, seeing that there aren't many anymore..

0|2
    0|0
  • If you're so ok with your personal choice why do you care so much about what others think about it?

1|1
    0|0
  • Im not for the casual stuff either. As far as hooking up, yea i madeout with somebody and let him suck on these titties but thats bout it haha. That was a very long time ago. I prefer to be in serious relationships too. I dont go around having sex. Aside from being an idiot, letting my ex take my virginity, you dont see me hopping on no random dicks. But the ex thing was a longn time ago too. Now im with a great guy whos a virgin in his 20s and we’re both agreeing to wait for eachother til marriage. Beautiful

0|0
    0|0
  • Don't mind other people. It clearly just bugs them more than it bugs you, and that's their problem

0|2
    0|0
  • I am basically the same as you: 20, virgin, not into hookups and I often feel like people are judging me for it or they just don't get it. But you know, people often criticize others to make themselves feel better, so I just try to tell myself that they just feel bad about all their own hookups and they take it out on you. That's of course not the case for everyone, some people just live in their own bubble I guess and don't understand how someone does not want a hookup.. anyway, it is your body and your choice so try to forget about those people :)

0|1
    0|0
  • Hook ups suck so don't worry about them just do you trust me I may be young but I speak from experience

0|1
    0|0
  • Don't listen to them. Be Happy. You've been saved the baggage and heartache. It's more likely you will find your perfect match before we will.

0|0
    0|0
  • I'm not into hookup culture either. It's not for me and it never has been, because of this, I've had to listen to people's opinions about the choices and decisions that I've made. They are always criticizing my choices as if my choices are directly impacting them. Casual sex is not something that I feel comfortable partaking in and if I don't want to do it, I won't. No one's opinions or comments are going to change that. Besides, people will always have an opinion, you can't change that, but you can change how you react and respond to the stuff that they say. Continue doing what you're doing if that's what you feel comfortable with & don't let their comments get to you.

0|1
    0|0
  • Some need grammar job in here.

0|0
    0|0

What Guys Said 16

• Well probably because at your age you don't really need a girlfriend. It's indicative of your feminine influences.

0|0
    1|1
    • What do you mean?

• Show All
    • I don't know why you're still so fixated on this topic but whatever. Bye.

• All I said was okay lol. I was done with it. On to another topic.

• You've never done it, so you can't say anything about the hookup culture yet. After you have sex, then see how you feel.

0|0
    1|2
    • My opinion isn't going to change. I don't need to do Heroin to know there's a good chance it'll ruin my life. I'm not going to have sex outside of a relationship and that's final.

• @ ShaunaM95 wtf is this guy saying?

• Ok. (shrug)

• It's fine, your first time with whoever will be awkward, short, and a lot of confusion, but it gets better with time and practice.

Virginal sex is waaaaay overrated. Eventually you'll be able to just casually start having sex on a couch while watching episodes of 30 Rock where it's no big deal.

Also, don't be afraid of sex toys. They're great. If you're the boyfriends that's secure enough in himself to use every method of delivering pleasure to a woman, that makes you rare and valuable.

0|0
    0|1
  • Because that's the norm nowadays. There's nothing wrong with not being into anything. You are your own person.

0|2
    0|0
  • I never accepted this weird caveman culture in the 90s

But I still had a woman... (and what an honour she was!)

Not sure why culture or society's views mean so much to you.

0|1
    0|0
  • The internet is full of trolls. Ignore them. Stay true to your beliefs, there are women out there who will respect you for it

0|0
    0|0
  • No matter what you do in life, there will be people that hate you for it.

0|2
    0|0
  • I don, t plan to kiss or have sex till I'm married so don, t feel too bad. To each his own.

0|2
    0|0
  • Why do you care so much about what other people think?

2|1
    0|0
  • People r trolls on the internet & rnt worth pleasing. Keep that to urself till u find someone worth telling

0|1
    0|0
  • "Why do people care so much with what I choose to do with my own body?" why do you care so much what people think? just do your own freaking thing

0|1
    0|0
  • Why? Because you're not degenerate like the majority of the crowd here.

0|2
    0|0
  • Honestly it doesn't matter what other people think about you. But some girls kind of like being the first

0|1
    0|0
  • I hope you hang on to your values. There's a lot of pressure these days to do the opposite.

0|1
    0|0
  • Lol I thought I was the only one

0|0
    0|0
  • Press 🅱 to pay res🅱ect

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes