Why do guys have to take the first step?

Why is it a rule that guys have to take the first step?
I mean why do girls keep waiting for them to take it even if she's dying to get to know him?Why do guys have to take the first step??

0|1

Most Helpful Girls

• Because guys are the hunters they are also supposed to be the leaders and I was raised old fashioned guys are to pursue and court a woman. The bible says he who finds a wife finds a good thing and receives the favor of God. It's just how history has has shown us men are naturally born to do it. But in today's society things have changed due to feminism.

2|3
    0|4
    THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE
    • When you see guys at the supermarket are you really considering their primal hunter instinct when they're ringing up their bread?

• Show All
    • In the zoo, gorilla exhibit. Ask for harambe

• Thank you for MHO

• Well, it's not a rule, I think they would make a first move and ask a guy on a date if she was 100% sure that he likes her. If a guy is shy (or has another reason why he doesn't ask a girl but still wants her to make a move) he could at least give her signls that he is interested.

0|1
    0|0

Most Helpful Guys

• I was working in a nightclub a fee weeks ago and a girl walked up to a guy and said "Are you single?"
    He replied "Yes"
    She then said "Would you like to take me home tonight?"

So there are some women who made the first move, but it is still quite rare.

0|3
    0|0
    • Woww 😮 i thought that shit just happens in movies. I would be so surprised, excited yet very skeptical that I would end up getting played like being mugged or something.

• Show All
    • I thought she was attractive. Early 20's, athletic figure, blonde hair. Bit young for me, but still attractive.

I thought he was a lucky guy. But like I said, that's a really rare occurrence, but I have seen it happen. I was impressed she did it.

• Impressed? Let's face it that dude probably got robbed or something 😂

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 17

• Personally, I'm just super self conscious with this sort of stuff (I'm a very extraverted person it's just that my biggest insecurity is being considered annoying) and if he doesn't initiate anything, I won't bother because I'll think it's not worth an awkward conversation and me realising he's not interested.

1|0
    0|0
    • Which is exactly why guys find it hard to approach girls and you should let them down nicely.

• Because it was respectable and curtious to do so back in the day. Now it doesn't really matter. I made the first move on my boyfriend :/

2|2
    0|0
  • I don’t think it’s a rule.. but the reason I don’t make the first move is I am afraid of coming of desperate.

3|0
    0|3
  • Girls are a wreck and were too afraid of rejection. we overthink things and normally we want to make a move, but we just dont

0|2
    0|0
  • i mean personally if i like someone i will most likely take the first step to get to know him better. But everyone is different. Some prefer to wait for the guy to take the 1st step.

2|1
    0|0
  • I would make the first move but I'd make a fool out of myself because I'm so shy and awkward. I'm just gonna stick to letting men aproach me. 😁 Not that it's ever happend though 😢😭

0|0
    0|2
    • Guess what we guys are insecure, awkward and clumsy as well... Imagine we'd use that as an excuse like you do :P Nobody would have fun anymore.

• Show All
    • Then why say you're gonna wait if you never need a relationship? Why bother if you're at the prime of your life now? Why do anything if you're so perfect and living life that efillest right now?

• @Armourdillo You're entitled thinking that I have to make the first move because I'm a girl and guys always make the first move. Looks like there are some holes in your words. You're words ar narsistic too boo boo. Don't fool yourself. "I hope no man ever appreciates you" ditto mother fucker. I hope no woman ever appreciates you.🖕😐🖕

• With this new guy I've taken the initiative in messaging but if I don't message first he won't text. What does that mean?

1|0
    0|1
  • It’s not , olny girls with no confidence are like that. I let people know when I’m interested.

1|2
    2|0
  • I don't know, I've always taken the first step in m life. And recently I don't like to take the first step anymore

1|0
    0|0
  • It's not a rule. Girls can make the 1st move as well and some do.

0|0
    0|0
  • Fear of rejection. I sometimes take the first step though depending on how much I’m interested.

0|0
    0|1
  • I don’t wait for the guy.

0|3
    0|0
  • They don't.

0|0
    0|2
  • You want to fuck you make the effort :)

0|0
    0|0
  • because I'm beautiful and I deserve to be approach

0|0
    0|0
  • I’m gonna say what guys say to me whenever I complain about anything gender related: Fucking get over it, you’re not allowed to complain when there’s people dying

1|0
    0|1
  • Because they're the ones with the "balls" remember?

3|2
    0|3
    • If all I have to do is give up my balls to get women to make the first move then DEAL! 😂😂

• Show All
    • Girls have chesticles... they are bigger than any man's.

• @Jayden01 I doubt you really would.
      @masonoram56 you said it, because you're so stupid.
      @HotDogg Fair enough.

What Guys Said 31

• Because it takes a lot of courage, it takes forever for a guy to do it and that's because they have to because they are always on the lookout for a mate, so on the rare occasion that a woman wants to make the first move she couldn't even if she wanted to because she has no clue how to deal with the situation

0|0
    0|0
  • Whoever takes the first step places themselves in the very vulnerable position of possible getting rejected. Men do it so women don't have to do it. It's a leftover relic from chivalry, because women never demanded "equality" in dating.

0|1
    0|0
  • They dont have to. You should way rather put yourself out there and take the first of you like a guy incase you miss the chance to connect at all statistically most guys get shy even intimidated by girls they are really attracted to and genuinly like.

0|0
    0|0
  • People believe many things they hear n society. Their friends tell them, their moms tell them, their dads tell them, their fucking cat tell them, the pop music station tells them, the radio tells them.

It's all bullshit

0|0
    0|0
  • Stop worrying about fairness, and worry about getting what YOU want out of dating.

The guys getting the women , are the ones going out there hunting

If u want something so get it!

0|1
    0|0
  • guys don't "have" to but if you want something done, you have to do it. doesn't matter which genital you happen to have. that's just how it works.

0|1
    0|0
  • I feel like its that they're trying to see if you'll be committed to the relationship, or if you like the, not a lot of people want to beturned down either

0|0
    0|0
  • Actually women make the first step with body language, even if we don't even realize it. And initiating a convo is our job since they took the first step I guess

1|0
    0|0
  • As a guy I didn't realize until after high school there were actually a lot of girls who had crushed on me. Don't be afraid I'm shy but I don't bite...

0|1
    0|0
  • Because women want to "see" what the guy can do for them. It's what you will like on him. Not him as a person, but what he is doing.

0|1
    1|1
  • i focus on schoolwork instead of making friends or crushes so much

so if any girls ever liked me thhat much I wouldn't have known.

just say if you like me

im not gonna be a mean person

0|0
    0|0
  • Like you know sometimes guy need a hit over the head with a bat to figure things out. So why don't some women just ask.

1|0
    0|0
  • I believe whoever wants it more should take the first step. Gender should not matter.

0|2
    0|0
  • Cause girls fear the judgement of others more than guys. So because girls get hit on heaps, if she were to approach a guy she'd be shamed by friends as being slutty or desperate as she should have little trouble getting guys coming up to her normally.

Look at it from a better perspective. You can choose who to approach but a girl has to turn away heaps of guys cause they get hit on by many whom they aren't interested in. So you get to be more in control and feel good for having the balls to do what many guys don't IF you take action.

0|0
    0|0
  • I don't think that's true at all.
    What is a first move? Is it saying 'hi' first? Being the first to give a compliment? I don't see how it matters because most people nowadays don't flirt in such a one sided manner where only the guy has to escalate, every step of the way.

I've said hi first to lot's of people, but if there's no push back, a clear sign of counterinterest fairly soon, I'm gone.
    Likewise, women come up and say hi all the time, but if you don't make that slight countermove, they will leave.

So, again, what's the relevance of the first step if there's a sum total of 20 steps (?) were you typically have to do 10 each?

Still, I guess there are some women who kinda expects a guy to make 5 moves before they make 1. Well only sleazebags who don't actually respect her boundaries would do that, so that's a problem.
    It doesn't feel like those women are in the majority though, unless you are in some conservative rural parish somewhere.

0|0
    0|0
  • Not always , some girls do make the first move it's nice to see !!!

0|0
    0|0
  • Women can do it to, but since ancient times, men have to take the first step

0|0
    0|0
  • For me I won't. If really need something that bad, u hv 2 go 4 it.

0|0
    0|0
  • I don't take the first step, that said I've been single for 6 years.

0|0
    0|0
  • Not really just depends on the guy and girl as some girls will jump in as quick as a block

0|0
    0|0
  • More from Guys

Recommended myTakes