Do you keep secrets from your partner?

Do you keep secrets from your partner?
  • Yes
  • No
  • Im single
    Vote C

3345

Most Helpful Girls

• What are you keeping a secret? That's what matters. Is is that you ate 15 to 20 cookies last night and that you stole a lip gloss when you were 13 or is it that you were texting a guy from work inappropriately?
    If it's the first two then big deal if it's the third then it actually is a big deal.
    I think little secrets are ok but if they are secrets that have the potential to cause issues or harm to the other person emotionally then that's a problem.
    All my "big" secrets that don't even have to do with him are out in the open. Eventually all that crap comes to light anyway so you might as well spill the beans now and see where all the pieces land versus being with someone long term and then having everything come out. Not only are you a liar and proved yourself to be untrustworthy then but you might have also destroyed the relationship. I'd much rather give them all the information and let them decide if they're willing to continue the relationship.
    Relationships need communication and trust, without it there's no point.

• Totally agree. My ex decided to hide the fact he was a recovering alcoholic because he wanted a chance with me and didn't want to turn me off. As the relationship progressed he then realized that if he told me the truth he could lose me so when we got to the 8 mth mark he actually relapsed and his drinking became a massive issue in his life, he was hiding the extent of the amount he was drinking and what he was drinking. At times he would have an occasional drink in front of me but he had his set up in his car in the garage at my place. When he went off for a cigarette he would drink spirits from a flask quite regularly. I noticed some things were off in the relationship by this point and one day we had a massive blow up and all was revealed when he told me he had relapsed. All this time he hid, lies and secrets, broke every ounce of trust I had in him. We are no longer together sadly. I was truly in love with this man, was awful to have it end like this.

• Personally I have told every good, bad, and other thing about myself my life, past, hopes etc that I could think of as well as whatever has been asked by my partner. I don’t think it makes sense to have secrets from that person. How can you know if they really love you for you if you hide parts and pieces? But that’s just my own opinion and like an anus we all have one

Most Helpful Guys

• Yes I will. It will be that I ever looked at porn. Saying that I looked at it in highschool killed my last relationship. She flipped out and constantly brought it up. Saying that I need to work to get over it. The dumb thing was all I wanted was her. Girls don't get that fake sex porn can't compare to being with your girlfriend. Even if it is just holding her hand.

• Absolutely! I have a moral, ethical, and legal obligations to keep certain secrets from certain people. My significant other shouldn't know every single secret I have.

There are professional secrets, like doctor-patient confidentiality (similar to lawyer-client confidentiality), or classified and privileged information and trade secrets. Exposing these secrets could lead me to lose my job, lose my license to practice, lose a lot if money in fines, and possibly lose my freedom, let alone my professionalism and integrity.

Also, if a friend asks me to keep a secret even from my woman, I would keep it from her faithfully. Telling her (unless absolutely necessary) would be a serious betrayal.

Look, I'm all for transparency and honesty to a high degree, but there is a limit to what you can it should share with your significant other. They need to understand that. It also goes the other way. You should accept that your significant other may have secrets they can't share with you.