If your friend admitted he/she liked you, would you find it awkward afterwards?

let´s imagine one of your friends admitted he/she liked you, but you don´t feel the same and your friend is telling you "if you don´t feel the same, we can go on as usual, just forget the conversation then." would you still find it awkward afterwards or see your friend in a different way?

0|1

Most Helpful Guy

• I've done this multiple times. I tend only to be attracted to girls who were my friends first, on the theory that best friends make the best relationships (and it's true).

The way I look at it is like this: "you're cool and I love spending time with you. If we were together in a relationship, then I'd get to hang out with you even more, and I'd be really happy. But if you're not into that, that's okay--I'll just be as involved with you as you want to be involved with me."

If a friend doesn't want to date me, that's fine: I respect that they've made their decision. I'll still be attracted to them, but I will respect that decision and never ask them out again. If necessary, I'll promise the girl that I'll never ask her out again, so that she can go back to trusting me. Usually the attraction fades over time and I'll find a new crush. I will still want to be friends with them, because the friendship wasn't based on sexual attraction.

In the past, when friends have rejected me, one of the following has occurred.

a) We remain best friends. We talk about it for the next 2-3 times we hang out together, and then never bring it up again. In 1-2 months, I move on. If, later, she ever decided that she wanted to date me, I'd say yes, even if I didn't have an attraction to her at the time, because I believe that friends make the best relationships, and I'd respect our friendship enough to try going on a date with her a few times. But if she never brought it up, I wouldn't either.

b) She ghosts me. This happened twice. I've never gone from loving someone to despising someone so quickly as when I got ghosted. This is the meanest thing you can do to someone that is legal.

c) We pretend that it never happened. This sounds like a, but with a twist--in a, we're responsible enough adults that we can talk about it; here, we can't. There ends up being a bit of awkwardness for the next little while, after which point the girl either stops being my friend, or we continue being friends and pretend that it never happened.

1|0
    0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• A few of my guy friends have announced feelings for me, admittedly it is awkward especially as I don't feel that way about them. The thing is to let them down gently if you don't share their affection but care about the friendship. It is weird dealing with them after such an event but eventually things return to normal. The friends who announced their feelings for me are still very much apart of my life and I still love them like they're my Brothers, we can actually look back on those memories and have a joke about them now. .

0|1
    0|0
    • your answer is what any sensible human would act.

Why so many girls say "no it's never the same it's always awkward" is that the guy's fault or hers at that point?

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 63

• It has happened to me and I think because I explained to her that I liked someone else, and how since my friend could not just turn off her feelings for me, I could not just turn off my feelings for the other girl; I think she took it pretty well. We are still friends and talk and she is married now. I think it is all about how you deal with it.

0|2
    0|0
  • I wouldn't feel awkward for long, just in that moment. They are my friend and I care about them. If I don't see them that way, I'll just tell them the truth. Most likely I'd give it a shot, with most of them, but there have been times where I truly only see them as friends.

1|0
    0|0
  • If it's a dude... I'd have to bluntly tell the guy I'm not gay/bi, so fuck off with that shit. If it's a chick... I'd have to describe exactly what I'm willing to have with her and exactly what I'm not going to have with her. A side chick for instance better know her place... don't call me when you know damn well you shouldn't. If what I am willing to give isn't good enough, move on then.

0|0
    0|0
  • As a guy I find it easy to just let it slide, as I have and still remain friends with this girl who told me so. Other way around, I don't have first hand experience but have had to witness the awkwardness when the guy gets rejected and they try to remain friends. I guess guys can't handle it as well, but there is ofc more than one side on this coin.

1|0
    0|0
  • I've had this happen to me. I didn't really find it awkward. If anything, I respected her more for being so brace. Opening up to someone like that is really a commendable thing to do and it takes a lot of bravery.

1|3
    0|0
  • I've had a lot of friends admit that they like me. Usually it's no biggie. The only time that it's ever been a problem is when this one girl tried to guilt me into getting involved with her.. making me look like the bad guy for not wanting her that way.. even going so far as to question my masculinity for refusing to put up with it all.

Nice girls, I swear lol.

0|0
    0|0
  • Its impossible to not find it awkward, but its a lot easier if you find it funny how awkward it is, some people can handle this and laugh with you, others will maybe just disappear from your life after letting the rejection fester in them for a while, I don't know your friend or how deep of a friendship it was but try and find out, or don't if you can handle it being awkward for a while

0|0
    0|0
  • If it's a girl? No.
    If it's a dude? Yes, and very much so. Why because a friend would know I'm straight, and I'm not close friends with anyone who is out of the closet. Heck! I'm only close friends with 3 people, but I'm FRIENDLY to everyone else.

0|0
    0|0
  • I hope not. I've been attracted to a friend for a while, plan on telling her soon. We have very different outlooks on life so would never go anywhere, but plan on spending more time around her as friends, if benefits follow then all the better!

0|0
    0|0
  • I'd tell them the truth of my feelings. It would be a little awkward, but I wouldn't personally worry about it. They'll move on, or we'll still be friends.
    I actually went through this with someone recently, and we're still pretty good friends. She has a boyfriend and she seems to be happy.

0|0
    0|0
  • The thing is, automatically you start thinking about not leading them on, if you should break it off, if you should set them free so they can move on etc.

I mean I wouldn't but that's how people can feel if they're not interested

1|0
    0|0
  • No it wouldn't make me feel awkward, I have experienced this a time or two in my life. I generally try to be as kind and friendly after the fact. If you are truly good friends, then this is only a speed bump in the path of your life.

1|0
    0|0
  • If she wasn't mature enough to handle that I didn't share her feelings, yes. If she could, it wouldn't be awkward.

0|0
    0|0
  • It depends how you handle it or take it in. I wouldn't feel too awkward. I might even laugh about it with then or joke around, not like pokikg fun at them or anything.

0|0
    0|0
  • To be honest, I don't think any of my female acquaintances will be interested in me and even if they were, I don't think I'd be interested in a relationship.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes because i have guy friends only and if it happens, i didn't knew they are gay😂😂😂😂😂😂 so it'll be awkward

1|0
    0|0
  • Pends, i've done it to others and had it done to me, and basicly its either they become the best of friends or they drift off real quick

0|0
    0|0
  • I'd probably give her a shot it just depends besides im kinda in a similar situation but she didn't really say no

0|0
    0|0
  • No not awkward, maybe for a little bit it's feel odd, but it would go back to normal. Besides it can't get awkward if I don't feel the same.

0|0
    0|0
  • Depends on how much I like her. lmao 😉
    If I didn’t like her like that, then yes. But not enough to prevent friendship.

0|0
    0|0
  • Has happened. Not really. If you've got a solid friendship going it's easy to forget that she likes you

0|0
    0|0
  • This literally happened to me today, but it seems to be still be ok

1|0
    0|0
  • if its a he I'm already in russias deep forrests. If its a she well depends on how our friendship was before.

0|0
    0|0
  • No. I'd be closer to them, so i certainly wouldn't break things off with them.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes if our friends like us there is a high chance that they will not talk to each other but if the frndship is strong then it doesn't matter

0|0
    0|0
  • In my case, if I like that person back, I will change my point my view but if I've got no feeling for that person I will just continue on as usual.

0|0
    0|0
  • It wouldn't be awkward for me. For her, I don't know.

0|0
    0|0
  • I'd see my friend in a different way basically things would change really

0|0
    0|0
  • Happened to me and yes, it was awkward afterwards. Now she's married and I'm still single...

0|0
    0|0
  • Not if the feeling is mutual or if u really good friends

1|0
    0|0
  • More from Guys

What Girls Said 32

• No not at all, I've actually been in this situation a couple of times. I have no problem going on with the friendship as normal. (I don't know about them). You can't force yourself to like someone like they like you but you can continue being their friend. Letting awkwardness in, makes them think you don't want to be around them anymore and that's usually not the case. It's all in the mindset you have.

1|0
    0|0
  • I told my friend I liked him, he thanked me for telling him and gave me a hug. We’re still friends, but we were never particularly close to begin with, so I guess it didn’t mess up a friendship in that aspect.

1|0
    0|0
  • By bestfriend who is a girl confessed since the beginning of our friendship that she has feelings for me. We talked about it, I said I didn't feel the same way and she moved on. She mentions sometimes she feels attracted to me and wish I felt the same way but in a "playful" tone, not really serious, althought she means it, if u know what I mean. We joke about it when the that comes up, I never felt awkward about it and I don't think she feels awkward either.
    Wish that might have helped.

0|0
    0|0
  • Someone that likes u is not your friend, they are someone that likes u. And especially with u being a girl... I've learned that its best not to continue 'friendships" in these situations as the guy may keep trying to get u to like him, which is ungaur onu both. Or maybe even, in a worst case scenario- take advantage of u if u are ever drunk or vunerable around him. Don't take any chances. Not. Your. Friend.

0|0
    0|0
  • for me, I'll feel superrrr awkward regardless of how close a friend that guy was before. can't seem to control my reaction. anw the guy friends whom I'd turned down never stayed around for much longer after the rejection for me to find out if things could have improved or even restored back to normalcy, so 😕

0|0
    0|0
  • If I don't like him then I'll reject him politely and feel bad for him. After that it might feel awkward for me or him at first, but for me after a few conversations it wouldn't be awkward for me anymore.

1|0
    0|0
  • No as long as everyone knows their roles after. Meaning if the feelings are returned, that’s that. There’s no pursuing something that doesn’t exist. While i was married, i had a gay friend that liked me as more than a friend and with me not being gay or bi, we remained friends but she also didn’t try to pursue anything except a couple times when she was drunk... then it got awkward. We were really close friends for many years until she moved across country.

0|0
    0|0
  • I had that happen to me once but i still acted the same around him and actually teased him about it later on , i also been on the other end and we stayed friends for 7 years so it's definitely possible

0|0
    0|0
  • Nope. I would be their friend, as I was before. The only way it can be awkward for you is if on some level you've been waiting for them to tell you they like you - and actually secretly desire it.

That's been my experience with it... but, then again, it's rare for me to feel awkward around my small group of friends because we trust each other so implicitly that admitting something of that nature is practically a normal occurring thing with us.

It's never awkward to be liked, or to like another. How we handle the polite rejection is what makes it un/bearable for us...

1|0
    0|0
  • This has happened to me before. We distanced ourselves a little bit but we’re super close again now. So yes for a while it was awkward but now it’s okay

0|0
    0|0
  • Oh Yes! The only good news about it is I might actually consider unfriendzoning him 😜 but until I figured that out yes it would be awkward.

0|0
    0|0
  • Depends on the friend. I had a really close friend of 9 years that told me he was in love with me last year, were still really good friends and it didn't make it awkward at all.

0|0
    0|0
  • No. Its happened twice and it wasn't really awkward

1|0
    0|0
  • No I would continue like nothing happened. Happens so often that if I did then I would have no friends left lol

0|0
    0|0
  • This happened to me the other day but he knows I'm in a relationship. I think he told me just to get it out in the open. We're still talking like usual

0|0
    0|0
  • Only if they behaved differently. I'm good at ignoring things & making life keep going the way it did.

0|0
    0|0
  • For me personally it would be hard to just return back to normal straight away.

0|0
    0|0
    • No one's asking for that, give em a little space then you're good. It's really not huge a deal girls make it out to be.

• Show All
    • how is that an insecurity in any way? if you look at the girls answer a lot of them claim they would also find it initially awkward - it’s all about perspective

• It's the same as how girls say guys are insecure for being nervous about asking girls out.

• I actually made the experience that guys avoided me after they found out I liked them.

But recently I was in the other position a guy friend had this massive crush on me and I didn't want to avoid him afterwards because I knew the feeling of being avoided but I know now that maybe it's the best to avoid each other afterwards because we stayed best friends and I behaved exactly like before I knew. It went well for 2 months or so but then he accused me of playing with him and his feelings (even though I told him directly that I just want friendship). He always thought that maybe we would become more than this and told me that it's all my fault and I shouldn't have acted that way...

0|0
    0|0
  • i find it awkward but try to forget but it's kind of impossible

0|0
    0|0
  • If I don't have the same feelings towards them, it could get awkward.

0|0
    0|0
  • yea, it will not be the same anymore.

0|1
    0|0
  • I'd find it a little awkward

0|0
    0|0
  • I think it'd be kinda awkward.

0|0
    0|0
  • It was kinda awkward for me afterwards.

0|0
    0|0
  • I wish he does lol cause i sorta like him

0|0
    0|0
  • Nope. It always happens sooner or later.

0|0
    0|0
  • Not awkard for me.

0|0
    0|0
  • Of course.

0|0
    0|0
  • Nope it's normal

0|0
    0|0
  • It would not be awkward :)