‘I don’t want a relationship right now = I don’t want a relationship with you’ true or false?

A common reason you might here someone say when they reject you. Do you think it really means that they don’t want a relationship with you?
  • True
  • False
  • It depends (please say)
    Vote C
Also may imply that they’d only date if it was the ‘right’ person

4545

Most Helpful Girls

• True. It means I don't want a relationship with YOU. I tend to say that to guys to let them down easy... I want a relationship but not with them.

THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE
  • Depends, because when someone say I don't want a relationship now, they may really mean it due to various reasons (e. g. still suffering from heartbreak from a bad relationship in the past), i. e. it doesn't matter how great the other person may be, the answer is still no, I don't want to be with anyone.

in the other circumstance if someone says "I don't want a relationship" as meaning "yea, not with you", it's a softer way of rejection the person, rather than saying "sorry, I don't feel the same for you".

THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE

Most Helpful Guys

• Basically, "I don't want a relationship right now..." is one of the most incorrectly, overused statements out there alongside "rape!".

It murks the waters that shouldn't be dirtied because that's where the people drink from.

Most of the people use this statement because they want to sugarcoat their "nos" when they should be upfront. Especially women. They sugarcoat most of their confrontations and assertiveness, which is bad because men are upfront (usually. I'm not). If you tell a guy "not now" he thinks "not now" instead of "I don't want to be with you". That's where lots of women get an obnoxiously persistent man on their ass until a restraining order is called.

If you tell that to a guy like me who is open minded and ambiguous, I would have no god damn clue how to respond to "not now". My usual assumption would be "They don't like me" as it's now meant, which if the other person didn't meant it that way and instead at face value, then it would be an unnecessary loss on their side (losing me) just because of the new socially constructed definition of words and phrases.

INB4 someone calls me part of the MGTOW community, I am not.

TL;DR: "I don’t want a relationship right now" is an indirect "yes". People these days use it to say "no". Don't say "yes" when you mean "no" so people don't get upset and the world unnecessarily burns on fire.

THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE
  • That is a tricky question because I think it’s true, that many people don’t want to be in a relationship, because relationships can be taxing and distracting and require compromises which, at times, are more than you can handle due to something in your life you are trying to accomplish... so I believe people think and feel it is true.
    On the other hand, I think it is also true that most of all those people would love to be in a relationship so long as they felt an emotional need to be in one, regardless of their circumstances and not all people require the same in a relationship, so their could be a perfect match that presents itself they didn’t realize was possible

THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE