Do you think it’s harder to be a woman, or a man, in an abusive relationship?

• Womab
    Vote A
  • Man
    Vote B
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
I'm a GirlI'm a Guy

0|1

Most Helpful Guys

• Hello dear @wittymilf ,

it is always on both gender hard being in an abusive relationship.
    man getting abused
    woman getting abused
    in my own opinion, a woman getting abused breaks my heart into pieces, hard to mend.
    I don't know much about others, or about women seeing a man getting abused if it breaks their heart too!!!

To be honest, if a woman slightly abuses me in the bedroom, I don't mind at all, as it is for the best of the relationship, and I don't see how it could hurt me, the intention from her is good.

Getting abused with mean and bad intentions, it is never good nor healthy!!!

I hope you are not getting abused dear @wittymilf :-(

1|0
    0|1
  • The man. There are plenty of shelters for woman to go to in the event that a partner is being abusive. There are very few for men. In some places there are none. Despite the fact that men are victim to domestic abuse almost as often as women.
    People also don't take it seriously which is a huge problem.

2|5
    0|0

Most Helpful Girls

• Imagine a man asking for help against an abusive wife/girlfriend. People will just laugh at him or call him a pussy. And when a man tries to defend himself against the abuse, nobody will believe its in self defense. They'll label him as the abuser instead.

I have sympathy for both men and women in abusive relationships but I also have a male friend who constantly gets beaten up by his girlfriend. Everybody just laughs it off, nobody takes the bruised lips and skin seriously. Everybody thinks its funny when she hits him just because she was feeling it (some even think its cute). And even when I confronted her about it, everybody turned against me saying Im being stupid.

1|3
    0|0
  • Although abusive women are fucking crazy and legit would kill/stab a bitch. Men are far stronger genetically and could easily overpower almost any woman. Which l es ads me to the conclusion that it's harder to be a woman in an abusive relationship than man.

2|1
    0|1
    • Well its an average. But let's say if it was a weak guy chased by a psychotic yandere girl who majored in martial arts. Now you can see how terrific his situation would be

• Show All
    • Sorry I typed a lot.

• Haha, you really did!

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 29

• An abusive relationship can be sheer hell for whoever is on the receiving end.

Abuse can be mental as well as physical.

I genuinely don't know if there's a right answer to this?

2|1
    0|0
  • Both should leave...

I was going to say woman, because she's more in danger if she tries to leave, but then I remember all the stories of crazy ex women who burn down houses and try to ruin the guy's life.

They're equal, but violent abuse typically happens more frequently towards women.

1|1
    0|0
  • I'd say 50/50. Women have the issue of taking residence in an abuser's home and they can't just pack up and leave or kick the abuser out.

Whereas no one takes male abuse victims seriously. No one. And male abuse is also somewhat common, especially in relationships with women who have certain disorders such as borderline or narcissistic personality disorders.

1|0
    0|0
  • I say it's harder to b a man in am abusive relationship mainly because most times wen a man feels oppressed or even belittled, or first instinct is to fight back. But of course we can't cuz that's a one way trip to jail regardless of whether or not we put hands on the woman. Plus courts like to take the woman's side in most court battles so the deck is stacked against us anyways.

1|1
    2|0
  • It's harder on the one who DOES NOT hold the financial reins, which in most households, is the female. If two incomes are involved equally, then it's harder on the abused be it female OR male. But all this bullshit about a man's voice not being heard - if he's the bread winner? "Man up" is exactly right !! You document, record and get the best lawyer you can find and you throw the bitch out. But if the woman is the receiver and a stay at home mom, or has no income, she's got a MUCH harder road.

1|0
    0|1
  • The man, the reason why is that the idea that women get abused is more accepted as real in society then the idea that men are so shelters and other things like that are all centered around women with men in abusive relationship having nowhere to go.

1|0
    1|0
  • It's close in my opinion, but males have it a deal harder.
    Let's assume this ranges from emotionally to physically, cause it does.

If a woman is being abused they can find a chance to speak out and they'll get help.

If a man is being abused, they can speak out if they want, but the majority will either cheer on the woman or laugh at the guy for being weak.

2|0
    0|0
  • Man because it's harder to get people to take seriously. Also in most states when you call the police about abuse the males goes to jail even if he is the one being abused. When it comes to leaving at least in the US there are more places for women to go then men as shelters go.

1|1
    0|0
  • The woman would be worse, anyone pulls any domestic shit on me and I'll fuck them with a frying pan.

2|0
    0|0
    • Ok but as a guy, if you did that, you’d be the one accused of being abusive.

• Show All
    • Fuck her first, ask questions later.

• This monkey has gone nuts. Someone call the zoo @_@

• Its not a competition.
    When you are in an abusive relationship, thats awful and you should get out of there.

3|0
    0|0
  • The man because nobody will take him seriously and or they’ll assume he’s the abuser.

1|3
    0|0
  • Neither. If someone is being abused in a relationship then they are a victim, regardless of gender, and it will be difficult for them.

1|0
    0|0
  • Bad for both , but if the police are involved , the man is normally automatically arrested as the aggressor , as per @Catholicgirl22 s post , abusive women will lie , and say HE is the abuser... and will ALWAYS be believed over a mere male. Men are mocked in these situations , the usual " man up " type remarks... from BOTH genders , if he tries to restrain her... HE is charged with assault or worse. Have a knife - slash scar from a psycho ex... I threw her and her stuff straight out , before being stitched up at the hospital , good job it's my house !! If I struck her back... a trip to the cells would have been certain !!

2|0
    0|0
  • Men have it worse, because guys aren't supposed to be overpowered by women

1|0
    0|0
  • Men's ability to overpower women and strike fear into their hearts.

1|0
    0|1
  • Depends as it happens to women more but u get taken for a dickhead if u are a guy dealing with it

1|0
    0|0
  • Women are at more risk of damage from physical abuse.

Women do have far more opportunities to get external support.

So... ?

0|0
    0|0
    • I think women get more peer support too.

• It's not just peer, its from police, agencies, shelters, etc.

There are not many shelters for men, and in most countries there are actually no shelters for 'men with children'. So if he has kids, he can leave them with the violent wife, while triggering her rage and running, or... that's about it. Or stay

• Men are usually seen as abusers so when men are abused it's harder for is to tell some one

1|0
    0|0
  • It's harder to be a woman in an abusive relationship.

All I lost in abusive relationships was money.

0|0
    0|0
  • Women are smaller and weaker. I couldn't be abused by a woman.

0|0
    1|0
  • More from Guys

What Girls Said 10

• Both have drawbacks. For a woman, it’s harder to fight back in a physical situation due to size and strength. But for men, you’re labeled evil if you hit a woman even if it’s self defence, there’s no male resources if they are being abused or there are few, and there’s a stigma that women can’t abuse men and they’re pussies if they are. So I’m gonna say men win by a hair.

0|0
    0|0
  • Both. You can't say someones suffering is subjectively worse

1|0
    0|0
  • Woman, only because I feel like in general, men are probably less likely to stick with the abusive relationship for a long time, even if they are typically mocked for the situation.

1|0
    0|0
  • abusive relationships can be hard regardless of what gender you are. Both physically and emotionally.

2|0
    1|0
  • Depends on the situation but in general I'd say man. You're supposed to be the one that's in control and "dominant", being abused is kind of ruled off because you're seen as the stronger one.

0|1
    0|0
  • Both but I feel like men who are victims of abusive relationships have it a little harder. Everyone will side with a female who is the victim. Everyone will easily believe that the 6ft boyfriend abused his 5ft girlfriend without even thinking twice and without any proof. If a man claims that his girlfriend is abusing him he gets told to "man up". There is a lot of stigma surrounding male abuse victims and that's why their voices are barely heard and that's why I feel like they have it a little bit harder than women.

1|1
    0|0
  • I think it's harder for a man. He usually gets no emotional support, while a woman can still talk to her friends.

1|0
    0|0
  • A man because there's very little he can do to seek help. My mom called the cops a year ago about the woman next door violently beating her boyfriend and going beserk. The cops showed up and arrested him and spent the weekend in the county lock up. Meanwhile she ransacked his place, emptied his bank accounts and maxed out his credit cards before skipping town. My mother felt so guilty that she and my father helped him back onto his feet again. Now if a man had done what she had the law would come down on him like a ton of bricks.

0|1
    0|0
  • Harder for women.

1|0
    0|4
  • Both

1|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes