When dating someone new... do you prefer to communicate through text or phone calls?

When dating someone new...do you prefer to communicate through text or phone calls?When we endeavor into a new relationship we sometimes can get a bit lazy and use text messaging as a crutch. Some though prefer texting and find it much easier. What do you prefer when it comes to communicating with a new partner?
  • Phone Calls
    Vote A
  • Texts
    Vote B
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
I'm a GirlI'm a Guy

1|1

Most Helpful Girls

• I like phone calls because it is more straight forward. You have to really give someone your undivided attention when you talk to them on the phone and you can better understand who you're dealing with. You can't really judge someones character off of text alone.

0|1
    0|0
  • I prefer messaging extensively first and getting to know their mind and the way they think via what they type and the way they type it... Then progress to phone calls. Phone calls don't allow you to understand the content of a person's mind like what they type. But that is just my opinion. If a person can be funny and silly and intelligent and sweet with written words... that will make me interested in talking to them on the phone. If I started with phone calls first it would be more awkward for me.

0|0
    0|0
    • Sure they. AND you hear the inflection of their voice. You need better tools.

• Show All
    • @cherryphi82 not really. I'm an introvert and I experience negative self talk sometimes. So it is more comfortable for me personally to massage first and then grow toward calls. I also don't really like how my voice sounds over the phone haha so again... Th his is all for me. Messaging and asking a million questions via textbox the better way for me to find out what a person is thinking and "figure them out"

• It makes sense that you'd feel more comfortable with texting first, and yes, you can find stuff out about them that way... but I still don't agree that it lets you know a person's mind better. Voice is way more intimate and lets you hear and feel nuances and inflections that you otherwise wouldn't via text.

Most Helpful Guys

• Actual voice-to-voice communication is best. There is too much non-verbal information that is lost when texting: volume, tone of voice, pace, hesitations, emphasis, etc. Texting is fine for "Honey, can you stop on your way home and pick up a gallon of milk?" Texting is NOT fine for, "Hey, I think you are funny and cute and I hope that you will let me take you out to dinner on Friday night." In dating, texting is lazy and it is the coward's way out for situations that may not be comfortable.

0|1
    0|0
  • Hello dear @coachTanthony ,
    taking into consideration how today people in general are communicating, I guess the "Texting" option would win this debate :-P
    Frankly, I always prefer to see her in person, not behind a phone (whether call or text).
    In I had to use a phone, it would most probably be a call instead of a text. No misunderstandings. The voice is always way better than just bunch of letters jumping around in my screen :-D
    I usually use "Texting" to set up an appointment, location to meet, simple things I mean, like old time SMS.
    Of course, during the day while each one is at office and working, texting would sound more appropriate; we don't want to get fired because of the phone calls during the whole day either ;-)
    Thank you for sharing that interesting question dear @coachTanthony
    :-D

0|1
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 72

• I like phone calls but they can be impractical and extremely distracting. With text, I can shoot a text, put the phone down, and then respond when I'm done doing what I'm doing.

0|1
    0|0
  • @coachTanthony I'm old school. We're not going to make it without phone calls. I don't mind texting, but I prefer a call every couple of days. Video calls are nice too!

0|1
    0|0
  • I used to say texting because I just don’t like speaking on the phone, but now I feel if I can truly vibe with a man on the phone then that’s how I know how to differentiate what’s real from what’s fake. Texting hinders the quality of great conversation/communication.

1|2
    0|0
  • The last time I dated anyone new was over a decade ago... We used this old fashioned approach called Meeting... Plus I never had any phone credit to call or text... Ha!

1|1
    0|1
  • I communicate better in writing or in person, and I don't like talking on the phone with strangers or anyone really who doesn't have a specific thing to talk about. I wouldn't mind them calling if the conversation is interesting and quick plus mainly to set up a face to face meeting.

0|0
    0|0
  • Texting which I prefer for people in general. I don't like phone calls. I'm already awkward enough in person luckily my boyfriend loves it. But today I tried to make a doctor's appointment over the phone and totally blanked when they asked me what I was calling for.

0|0
    0|0
  • When we first started talking we texted everyday but now that we are dating for a couple months we call each other every night and talk about our day I like hearing his voice and connecting with him that way. I feel like i get more than I do from texting

0|0
    0|0
  • I'd want to know his personality better by listening to his voice and the way he talks. Texting is too impersonal.

1|3
    0|0
    • Yes! There's no inflection in text messages.

• Show All
    • @Ahsthen Yes I agee to a point. I type like that as well, but most people don't. It's still no substitute actual conversation.

• @NYCQuestions1976

The text reveals itself - as what you enjoy, don't, or find mundane. And proceed accordingly.

• I like a mixture of both. Texting has no emotion. So texting alone can cause a lot of miscommunication.

0|2
    0|0
  • Texts can be done more conveniently throughout the day as opposed to phone calls. Getting to know someone is essentially exchanging information about one another back and forth so texting is good for that. Not taking phone calls completely off the table tho. It's still nice to hear the way someone laughs and to have an actual conversation too.

0|0
    0|0
  • I prefer texts until things get serious. After things become serious, I like phone calls and video chats. It is more intimate to hear your partner's voice than read a message, in my opinion.

0|0
    0|0
  • both for me..

but phone calls is better... because if one of you is texting sarcastically, you wouldn't be able to tell... but If it was a call, you would.

0|1
    0|0
  • I like to hear a man’s voice and hear the tone of his voice when he says something. Things in a text can get misconstrued and the point not gotten the cross.

0|2
    0|0
  • I hate talking on the phone so it needs to be texts and face to face

1|3
    0|0
  • Phone calls. I hate texting. I think it's a cop-out.

0|2
    0|0
  • I think text in the beginning is fine. Phone/face to face conversation is to see if you have that communication chemistry.

0|1
    0|0
  • There is no way in hell I let men take me for granted. If he is interested he must call the girl and show her his full attention is hers not just text her between chats

1|0
    0|0
  • I prefer to listen to people's voice to get his tone of replies & to understand him better. But people text nowadays.

1|1
    0|0
  • Both I think both is good 📞📱💌

1|1
    0|0
  • Hearing voices is a step closer to being intimate. New things must be taken slow, unless... that person just happens to be your future forever boo :)

0|0
    0|0
  • More from Girls

What Guys Said 101

• I wanted to vote both but chose phone calls first. I like to hear her voice, it's way better and easier to actually speak to somebody. A lot of Millenials are timid about that but I'm not.

0|1
    0|0
  • Great question! I was taught to always call a girl. That was when texting and calling were still roughly evenly used. Now, you need to mention that you're gonna call, otherwise she's too in her 'no talking' trance to feel comfortable. But texting hands all the power to women - they love it because its yet more indirect bullshit they can put between them and interacting with new people. Calling is confident, and makes her take at least some responsibility.

0|0
    0|0
  • text is far easier. That said i think me n ex relied too much on them (we pretty much only communicated that way, though were meeting up twice a week, and would talk endlessly face to face).
    I think a mix of communication is probably best, but whatever suits both of you

0|0
    0|0
  • Extroverts are mostly good at talking on phone but some of them may prefer texting. But Mostly Introverts like to do texting and few of them would like to talk on phone. It all depends on one's personality and communication ability or typing speed. Extroverts are quick thinkers and conversant, so they would prefer to speak on phone while introverts may be shy or slow thinkers but may have good typing speed and so they would prefer texting

0|0
    0|0
  • How OLD is that picture? LOL That phone is from the 1980"s !! To me, texting is NOT a good idea when you're just beginning, except to set up times to meet. It's also never a good medium for meaningful things that SHOULD be said in person, no matter how far along in the relationship.

0|0
    0|0
  • Dating? In person.

She calls me, but I say very little. I save my talking to when we are together. Too much phone/text leaves a lot less to talk about when together.

0|0
    0|0
  • I choose texting for new partners, but if I'm in a good relationship with someone I care a lot about, I prefer to call, at least when it's a long distance relationship, otherwise if I see them often I'll choose to text

0|0
    0|0
  • Definitely text.

You can edit and sexting could be VERY sensual.

0|1
    0|0
  • I prefer to communicate with not just words but also intonation. There's an art form to texting that's true. But they're certainly more capability of expressing oneself through voice.

0|0
    0|0
  • Call more than text. With text it easier to interpret what is being said wrong. Unless they make it obvious how something should be taken then for example you could think they are being serious when in fact they are joking or are mad when they are not.

0|0
    0|0
  • Texts provide you the safety of having a bit more time to think about your answer plus the other person sees none of your none verbal communication. Face to face is however more real and can be much more fun.

0|0
    0|0
  • Phone calls because I don't have any choice. I have no way to text, and wouldn't do it even if I did have a way.

0|0
    0|0
  • Well when you text, you can always re read what your sending and think about it before sending your message but if your talking on the phone there's always the chance you might say something you don't mean and regret it imediately

0|0
    0|0
  • I have never called my wife in 8 years we use WhatsApp
    But then it sounds like some people here don't live together. I've always lived with girlfriends within a few weeks of meeting so never really had to do the long distance thing.

0|0
    0|0
  • I prefer to communicate in person quite frankly. whatever happened to eye contact and relating to someone on a personal level when you can actually could touch them on the wrist or slap yourself on the head to make a point.

0|0
    0|0
  • Either way is fine, but I prefer to call so I can hear her voice.

1|1
    0|0
  • Phone calls are for later in the dating process. I would say that's just my anxiety but apparently Im not the only one who thinks this.

0|1
    0|0
  • Depends really. If we're just talking about whatever then I prefer texting. If I wanna know what she wants for dinner and I'm already at the store then I just call cos I'm not hanging out at the store for 20 mins waiting for an answer xD

0|0
    0|0
  • Phone calls are always better due to the fact that no one really text how they would verbally express themselves. It's one thing to be just typing but it is another to actually let the person feel and sense how you feel about it by the tone of voice

0|0
    0|0
  • I do both, but I find texting to be a poorer form of communicating with someone you're trying to get to know due to its bevity.

0|0
    0|0
  • More from Guys

Recommended myTakes