When dating someone new... do you prefer to communicate through text or phone calls?

When dating someone new...do you prefer to communicate through text or phone calls?When we endeavor into a new relationship we sometimes can get a bit lazy and use text messaging as a crutch. Some though prefer texting and find it much easier. What do you prefer when it comes to communicating with a new partner?
  • Phone Calls
  • Texts

74103

Most Helpful Girls

• I like phone calls because it is more straight forward. You have to really give someone your undivided attention when you talk to them on the phone and you can better understand who you're dealing with. You can't really judge someones character off of text alone.

• I prefer messaging extensively first and getting to know their mind and the way they think via what they type and the way they type it... Then progress to phone calls. Phone calls don't allow you to understand the content of a person's mind like what they type. But that is just my opinion. If a person can be funny and silly and intelligent and sweet with written words... that will make me interested in talking to them on the phone. If I started with phone calls first it would be more awkward for me.

• Sure they. AND you hear the inflection of their voice. You need better tools.

• @cherryphi82 not really. I'm an introvert and I experience negative self talk sometimes. So it is more comfortable for me personally to massage first and then grow toward calls. I also don't really like how my voice sounds over the phone haha so again... Th his is all for me. Messaging and asking a million questions via textbox the better way for me to find out what a person is thinking and "figure them out"

• It makes sense that you'd feel more comfortable with texting first, and yes, you can find stuff out about them that way... but I still don't agree that it lets you know a person's mind better. Voice is way more intimate and lets you hear and feel nuances and inflections that you otherwise wouldn't via text.

Most Helpful Guys

• Actual voice-to-voice communication is best. There is too much non-verbal information that is lost when texting: volume, tone of voice, pace, hesitations, emphasis, etc. Texting is fine for "Honey, can you stop on your way home and pick up a gallon of milk?" Texting is NOT fine for, "Hey, I think you are funny and cute and I hope that you will let me take you out to dinner on Friday night." In dating, texting is lazy and it is the coward's way out for situations that may not be comfortable.

• Hello dear @coachTanthony ,
    taking into consideration how today people in general are communicating, I guess the "Texting" option would win this debate :-P
    Frankly, I always prefer to see her in person, not behind a phone (whether call or text).
    In I had to use a phone, it would most probably be a call instead of a text. No misunderstandings. The voice is always way better than just bunch of letters jumping around in my screen :-D
    I usually use "Texting" to set up an appointment, location to meet, simple things I mean, like old time SMS.
    Of course, during the day while each one is at office and working, texting would sound more appropriate; we don't want to get fired because of the phone calls during the whole day either ;-)
    Thank you for sharing that interesting question dear @coachTanthony
    :-D