Can intelligence make an ugly guy attractive?

• Yes
    Vote A
  • No
    Vote B
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
I'm a GirlI'm a Guy

0|0

Most Helpful Girls

• Intelligence alone cannot make an ugly person attractive. It can make a person more attractive, though. Personality does that. For example: I meet a guy and go "meh" at first. He's not unattractive, but I wasn't swept off my feet either. But then I get to know him. I find out that he's smart, funny and just a great guy who I have lots of things in common with. When that happens I could see him in a new light and it's very possible that I might fall in love with him. And then I also start to notice that I actually really like the way he looks, that he has a really cute smile and pretty blue eyes. A matching personality can make someone so much more attractive and even more beautiful.

1|1
    0|0
    • What is the difference between ugly and "meh" to you. Doing you think any guy can reach "meh" status just by staying in shape and dressing well?

• Ugly is "ew, don't come closer"
      Meh is "you look okay/regular, nothing special at first sight"
      Attractive is "wow, I want to get to know you"

• Uh... Yes it would make him more attractive. My definition of intelligence is what choices a guy makes in his life and what he says and how mature he is, how wise he is and if he's open minded And how emotionally intelligent he is. School education isn't that much important... Like eh, u can still be successful even without A plus grades. But of course good school education isn't a turn off either. I would of course date a guy with good grades and academic intelligence. But I'm just saying if the guy who's smart at school stuff doesn't have a bit of the stuff I mentioned above about the type of guy who's open minded, mature etc. Then yes, he would be a complete turn off. I've known many assholes in my life who have good grades or don't think before they speak and are dumb about everything else and gossip but are only good at school subjects and good grades , etc. and I despise them. They don't know about emotional intelligence and only academic intelligence. How sad... there r different types of intelligence tbh. There's analytical intelligence or something like that and I like that. Etc. But my definition of smart is different from the rest of society I guess. I guess I'm the only woman who thinks like this. 😂 Self awareness will fix all of the bad things, if that makes sense. I don't know if what I'm saying makes sense but whatever I don't care. Society is just being mean and saying that people who don't have perfect grades are dumb. because society In general is dumb. They listen to what people say all the time and follow what they say. It's not always true tho. Society likes brainwashing people into thinking this is what it is and u have to believe it , etc.

0|0
    0|0
    • If u took the time to read then thank u guys

• But it would not make him super attractive as a whole if he was smart and ugly. I need to date someone I'm attracted to and even if he was ugly and smart, it's just eh... Not my preference. But being smart will make him more attractive if that makes sense. He should improve on his looks if he's that ugly

• Grades do not define u and u should never have low self esteem or think less of yourself because of it.

Most Helpful Guys

• I like to imagine that all these guys saying no are like "nah I'm about a 5/10 and extremely smart but women never want to talk to me so this must not be true"

1|0
    0|0
    • Also things like being a Chad, money, power, just Ignoring that most guys who are rich and powerful have high intelligence and used that to get there

• Sure, but they also have other personality traits like being an arrogant knob. Lots of intelligent guys choose to put their skills to the benefit of the most vulnerable in society instead, like the best community college lecturers who could do more but want to help the least educated, or clinical social workers who are overqualified but want to make sure mental health issues are addressed for those who need them, or, the guy who’s super smart but launches a non-profit instead of an enterprise because he doesn’t care about getting rich. These guys are all intelligent and ugly according to women.

• I disagree, that's a wishy washy, unrealistic cliche that harms people in the long term.

Some people will say they do, only to repress their physical dissatisfaction as the relationship progresses. No different than settling for someone because that person has some positive trait, that at some point it won't be enough to cover for the elephant in the room.

I think one should grow up and learn to take responsibility about recognizing one's own needs instead of pretending they aren't, and this doesn't mean affecting others negatively.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 15

• Everyone will say yes, but they're lying. No one wants to fuck physics if the man speaking it looks like Sloth from The Goonies.

1|2
    1|0
  • I have been attracted much more times by intelligence than by looks. However no matter how clever a guy is that if there is no limits to his looks, he is still unattractive (hygiene, and looking after himself). Same way no matter how good looking a guy is that if he is not clever at all, he won't be attractive.

0|0
    0|0
    • I actually think conscientiousness is what people mistake for intelligence. I find women prefer this over intelligence.

When I say conscientiousness, I mean as it’s used in the Big 5 personality theory. It means self-discipline, goal oriented, responsible, trustworthy and committed; reliable. But, actually conscientiousness is negatively correlated with intelligence, meaning more conscientious people are, on average, less intelligent than low conscientious people of the same level of career success otherwise.

In contrast, I find that aloofness makes men appear unattractive from personal experience. In fact, I’ve been called a ‘knob’ by a woman who was interested in me after she got to know me better over time. In the beginning she was attracted to me enough to make progress towards dating, but once she found out I took math courses that weren’t required for my major because I just enjoyed learning math she began to find me unattractive.

• In fact, this often happens to me. My interests are academic, and I spend my free time learning and doing research (at my university), and women have always, so far, become unattracted to me after learning this, even if she was interested before getting to know me. Therefore I think average intelligence is attractive. Average plus high conscientiousness. But anything getting into the above average zone is ‘wierd,’ ‘unattractive’ and for lack of a better word ‘ugly.’

• I’ve had the most success with women when I keep my mouth shut, or pretend to be dumb. Or simply say as little as possible to keep other people’s moods positive.

• Yes definitely Yes. I seen many handsome guys who became ridicilous when they started to speak.
    I seen many guys who were not the most handsome guys but when they speak you want more and more.

2|1
    0|0
  • It makes him "interesting" but not physical attractive

1|0
    0|0
    • Friendzone then?

• Yes it does cause whatever he sets out to accomplish he executes it with class and finesse and also the mind is the sharpest tool in the human body 😊

• @Bryan4224 Sometimes intelligence manifests itself as brute force. Finesse is just a personality trait, intelligence only requires understanding and processing speed. An obsessive intelligent person might enjoy mastering subjects by over-learning then in order to totally conquer it.

That’s not finesse, that’s just domination for the fun of it.

• NO sometimes men use this as a crutch so that they have a right to be arrogant. Maybe paired with other qualities it is tho.

0|0
    0|0
  • I definitely can see someone as more attractive just by getting to know them, and intelligence is very attractive so I’d say yes

1|0
    0|0
  • Depends on what you define as intelligence. Book knowledge = boring

0|0
    0|0
  • Well, yes depending on how ugly he is. I guess it would add a 1 1/2 point on the 1/10 hotness scale.

0|0
    0|0
  • It doesn't make you attractive

1|1
    0|0
  • Intelligence is mega attractive.

1|0
    0|0
  • No it can't.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes., but it's not enough. You have to dress well, to go to gym, to be funny and intelligent, and pleasent

0|0
    0|0
    • ‘And pleasant’ LOL. You can’t make this stuff up.

• Show All
    • Oh no your English is fine. I feel like a dick now. I was just laughing because your list seems unrealistic, not because your English is bad.

• @RaijuRainBird to me it seems very realistic because my boyfriend is more than this.

• More attractive for sure, but if you're not attractive in other ways, that alone won't make a huge difference.

0|0
    0|0
    • Other ways as in confidence, humor or just looks?

• It's much easier to attract girls when you're social, confident and know how to flirt. If your face and body are somewhat normal and you take care of your hygiene, looks won't be a problem to most girls. And even if you had abnormalities, girls are more accepting of them than guys.

• Agree. I’m finding most women I meet are offended by me because I’m nothing like they expect me to be because I’m not a very social person and I often criticize societial conventions. But, I go to the gym often and am in good shape, have been told my hair is pretty nice, and otherwise dress decently well. Occasionally I show my true colors in an outward fashion and wear a band shirt that’s usually related to punk-rock, usually criticising some aspect of political or social conventions. :D

I assume this makes me ‘ugly.’ I mean, I don't know. I’m not going to change my personality or interests just because of this though. In fact i’ve been tossing up the idea of starting a band so that I can write politically charged music and force people to listen, :D.

• My fiancé is one of the worst looking guys who ever liked me, but daaaaamn is he smart!!! And yep, he is my fiancé, not just a boyfriend!

2|2
    0|0
  • "Knowledge is power."

1|3
    0|0

What Guys Said 15

• Intelligence does not help you attract women at all.

0|5
    2|2
    • I would agree on flatness of the Earth more than I would agree with you on this.

• Show All
    • @Alex31 Or he can be aloof and not care about his looks because he’s so enthralled in his academic research that he doesn’t have tune to worry about petty things like fashion. They would waste his time. That’s a guy who smart, and ugly. Therefore, intelligence doesn’t make an ugly guy attractive, it’s what makes the guy ugly.

What women seem to want is a personality trait. The trait of wanting to appeal to the desires of women. That has almost nothing to do with intelligence.

• Totally.

0|2
    0|0
  • It can me make a man attractive in terms of desiring to talk to him and learn from him, but it won't magically make you look like a young Leonardo DiCaprio in terms of physical attractiveness.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yeah will make him head of the friend zone group of the girl

0|1
    0|0
  • Nope if that were the cases women would be drooling over guys like Mark Zuckerberg or Billgates.

0|1
    0|0
    • Yep. The Zuckerburgs of the world are some of the most intelligent and successful people to have ever lived. And yet, many women express they would not like to date him. I don’t understand what makes him physically ugly though. I don’t see it. The guy’s healthy and looks Greco-Roman in heritage. To me he looks fine. But I’m not a woman so who knows what the hell.

• Lyle Lovett married Julia Roberts.

0|0
    0|0
  • girls are lying

0|2
    0|0
  • too many shallow people around

0|2
    0|1
  • look Stephen Hawking.

0|0
    0|0
  • Intelligence can make anyone more attractive.

0|0
    0|0
  • No. A big cawk can though

0|1
    0|1
  • Yes.

0|1
    0|0
  • yes i think so

0|1
    0|0
  • Maybe slightly. I’m a 0/10 and pretty stupid myself, so I could see how some intelligence could help

0|0
    0|0
  • No, don’t fool yourself

0|4
    0|1

Recommended myTakes