If a 20 year old is dating a 16 year old, and its legal in their, and they come to the U. S. as tourists, could the man be charged with pedophilia?

Because in their country their relationship is legal, but here it' not.
What if they had sex?
Because in some countries the age of consent is as young as 14.
So in THEIR country the relationship would be legal because they are both of consensual sex, but since in the U. S. the age of consent is 18, could the couple get in trouble even though the relationship is completely legal in their country?

I wanna make it clear, this is hypothetical scenario. So anyone who accuses me of asking this question about myself will be blocked.

612

Most Helpful Guy

• Depends on which country, and whether they choose to enforce it or not. For instance, there are several countries where the age of consent is higher than 18; in South Korea, for instance, the age of consent is supposedly 20. And in Indonesia, the age of consent's 19 for guys, and 16 for girls; if a 18yo guy and 16yo girl date in Indonesia, then technically, under the letter of the law, the 16yo girl would be the one guilty of pedophilia, since her boyfriend, in spite of being two years her senior, would be the only one of the two who'd still be a minor. So then, if a 19yr old was dating a 21yr old, and they visited South Korea as American tourists, could the 21yr old be charged with pedophilia? Under the letter of the law, yes. The 21yo man could. But would they be charged? Unlikely.

Most Helpful Girl

• If they come as tourist I think it would be legal though that's tricky because as tourist you have to follow the laws of the country you're in even as tourist.

• Yeah XACTLY! That's why I'm asking because it's a strange scenario.

• I know it's so stupid. They hate each other because of politics and historic disputes. Like, get over it already!

• Yes, they should get it over. That's so silly