If a 20 year old is dating a 16 year old, and its legal in their, and they come to the U. S. as tourists, could the man be charged with pedophilia?

Because in their country their relationship is legal, but here it' not.
What if they had sex?
Because in some countries the age of consent is as young as 14.
So in THEIR country the relationship would be legal because they are both of consensual sex, but since in the U. S. the age of consent is 18, could the couple get in trouble even though the relationship is completely legal in their country?

I wanna make it clear, this is hypothetical scenario. So anyone who accuses me of asking this question about myself will be blocked.

0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• Depends on which country, and whether they choose to enforce it or not. For instance, there are several countries where the age of consent is higher than 18; in South Korea, for instance, the age of consent is supposedly 20. And in Indonesia, the age of consent's 19 for guys, and 16 for girls; if a 18yo guy and 16yo girl date in Indonesia, then technically, under the letter of the law, the 16yo girl would be the one guilty of pedophilia, since her boyfriend, in spite of being two years her senior, would be the only one of the two who'd still be a minor. So then, if a 19yr old was dating a 21yr old, and they visited South Korea as American tourists, could the 21yr old be charged with pedophilia? Under the letter of the law, yes. The 21yo man could. But would they be charged? Unlikely.

0|0
    0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• If they come as tourist I think it would be legal though that's tricky because as tourist you have to follow the laws of the country you're in even as tourist.

0|1
    0|0
    • Yeah XACTLY! That's why I'm asking because it's a strange scenario.

• Show All
    • I know it's so stupid. They hate each other because of politics and historic disputes. Like, get over it already!

• Yes, they should get it over. That's so silly

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls & Guys Said

• I'm not an expert on this, but if they came here and become citizens of the country I would assume it would still be illegal. I'm not an expert on American law.

1|1
    0|0
    • Citizens, YES, but I'm asking if they just came as tourists. Because for instance if a 19 year old Canadian came to the US, as a tourist, he wouldn't be able to drink alcohol even though in his country he can.
      And in Muslim unmarried couples, even tourists can't sleep in the same hotel room or have premeriral sex, even though they're only tourists.

Usually tourists have to follow the laws of the country their visiting, but I'm wondering if t hst applies to everything.

• Show All
    • I imagine if they were married there would be an exception.
      This is why I feel there should be some common law, because tourists often get in trouble because of things that are legal in THEIR country but not in theirs. I think there should be a common drinking and age of consent. Like it should be the same for ALL nations.

• I wish it was 18 for all places in my opinion unless the two are both teenagers or a year apart.

• Yeah it really depends how mature is the girl for such relationship because many guys would take advantage of them
    I think if they want to do it they will anyway, doesn't matter what law say
    Very case is diffrent, I can't say if its pedophilia but 4years its not a big gap

0|1
    0|0
    • I agree, but it's weird, because if you travel to another country you have to obey that country's laws even as a tourist.
      So what if a 20 year old married 16 year old, because it was legal in their country, but they came to the U. S. where such a marriage is illegal.

I think the drinking age and law of consent should be the same in all countries.

• Well, you're expected to follow the laws of whatever country you visit, even if you are a tourist. I'm sure a relationship wouldn't get them into trouble, but being caught having sex by a local probably would.

Then there would be calls made to whatever consulate and something would be hashed out i imagine. They might be charged, but almost certainly not convicted.

0|1
    0|0
  • There are three, sometimes more ages of consent in the US. One or more state numbers, and two federal numbers.

If someone crosses a state line or international border to have sex and one party is under 18, it is illegal under federal law, a 10 year prison sentence, I think. Unless they are married, in which case I don't think there is a lower federal limit (don't bet your liberty on it).

Under federal law, it is illegal to have sex if you happen to be in a foreign country or US territory and meet someone under 16, but it is ok if 16 and over. But if you pay for it, then it is illegal if under 18. But if you communicated first by postal mail, phone or internet, then 18 is the limit. And if that person is under 18 and gave you a nude photo, then you are going to prison for a minimum of 5 years unless you can prove that the underage person lied and only told you she was over 18. And if you are in another state where the age of consent it under 18, then the federal law of 18 applies. But if you are both from the same state and one is under 18, then the state law applies, unless you communicated by postal mail, telephone, or internet, in which case 18 is the legal limit. But if someone is under 18 and gave you a nude photo, then expect that 5 years in prison.

Confused? You betcha.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes, you are in their jurisdiction why does yours matter?

0|1
    0|0
  • Well I think that it would be illegal if u r not following the rules of the other country.

0|1
    0|0
  • It wouldn't be pedophilia, it would be statutory rape. Whether conduct is considered criminal is almost always determined by the law of where the conduct took place. So, if they had sex in foreign country, that country's law will govern questions about the age of consent/statutory rape. I think it would be.

0|0
    0|0
  • The age of consent in some U. S. states is 16. But that aside, the larger point is whether foreign nationals on U. S. soil are subject to our laws. And the answer is: Of course they are.

0|0
    0|0
  • Maybe? I mean, you are in our laws, yeah I think you would be charged but you should ask others who are qualified.

0|0
    0|0
  • I think he/she should it’s gross.

0|1
    0|0
  • Don't do it in public cuz in the states it's the parents that pursue stat rape

0|0
    0|0
  • Depends on the state I think.

0|1
    0|0
  • I bet it would

0|0
    0|0
  • 16 is age of consent in a lot of states

0|0
    0|0
  • Regardless of if its legal its wrong. Too big of an age gap. They shouldnwait til the person turns 18 at least

0|1
    0|0
  • Different states, have different rules, some are 16, some are 17, some are even 18, I don't think any are 15 or 14, though I could be wrong

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes