I want to confess my feelings. Should I send her a friend request on Facebook/ Is a private message weird?

This girl that i really like and i want to confess my feelings. we known each other for a while and have some history together. When we met it started with flirting and she never mentioned her first boyfriend even when i asked her out a couple of times. We stopped talking for awhile, living on opposite sides of campus, and she started dating a close friend that only lasted for a few months. I wanted to talk to her about my feelings, but got the impression that she s not ready to date. A couple of months after they broke up a tried to confess my feelings. I asked her "theres something i want to talk to you about. Can i meet you a time and place that will work for you?". Her response was " i don't know I'm so busy now i have so much with school and work". I know she's really busy but her response made me worry that she wasn't interested. That was last semester,
however, earlier this semester something happened that made me optimisticagain. She was looking at me for a good few seconds and when i looked back at her she smiled. It seemed genuine. She smiled with her eyes and stared for a few seconds before she left. After that i haven't seen her as much around campus as i used to. So I'm starting to consider just adding her on Facebook. I really prefer just approaching her in person but i feel like i won't see her again before the summer and for that reason have to do it on Facebook first if i want something to happen between us? Should i also send her a private message, asking if we could meet sometime or is that weird? maybe start with a simple FB message< like "hey i haven't seen you around lately how have you been? and then ask her if we could meet and talk? or is that weird?

01